Cold/Cool Weather Gloves?

Bad324

What does everyone use? Looking for something good down to 40* as I can really only think of 1 time I've ever been out when it was colder than that

Not like I ride often in the cold but the few times I have its worth spending some money for my hands not to freeze as that is the weakest link in my cool/cold weather.

I do have some cold weather gloves, Leather fur lined made by Olympia.

But, they tend to be a little restrictive on the grips. I also have a pair of silk inner gloves. I can wear my mid weight level gloves with the silk gloves , and get almost as low in temps as the leather gloves. And I don't get the limited feel at the grips. The major differenc is the leather gloves are 100% waterproof, the others, well lets just say, if it starts raining, I go t o the leathers.

Hope this helps.

Ride safe all, and ATGATT please.

Greg

Get some decent cold weather mittens from a sporting goods store. A little oversized and wear them over your regular riding gloves. Key is that they are lined on the outside around the fingers with something to keep the wind out. It's the wind that eats your fingers.

I tend to ride as early/late in the season as possible. I have an oversized pair of ski gloves I put over my regular riding gloves....

That being said, one of these days, I will follow through and get heated grips (been saying that for a few years now).

Heated grips are the way to go, Aerostitch has them for about $30.

Agreed. I like the Oxford Heaterz myself, but most of them work just fine. I ride with a set of thinly lined leather gloves down to the teens/20's with the heated grips in total comfort, without giving up any tactile sensation on the controls.

That's one thing I don't fuck around with, cold hands make for a dangerous ride.

how hard is it to install heated gloves?

My hands easily frozen over with even minor dip in temp, hence the most expensive item among my gear is held freezer glove, seems to work quite okay compared to other winter gloves i have, but then again reduced sensation is there.

I wore thinsulate rubber dipped work gloves inside a pair of welding gloves until i bought a pair of Olympia snow mobile gloves. The welding gloves worked well, and took to waterproofing fairly decent. The trick is get gloves with the longest gauntlet you can find. Warm gloves won't do shit if cold air is leaking onto the bottom of your wrists. The snowmobile gloves have a draw string to seal the gauntlet around your jacket, and are waterproof. My hands stay warm down into the teens with no electric support. Anything above 50, and my hands are sweating like crazy, these things are WARM. The downside is limited armor protection, I'm thinking about investing in these this winter:

http://www.britishmotorcyclegear.com/Gloves.asp

I've read they are the warmest gloves you can get without relying on electricity. My electrical output is very limited on my bike.

I've also heard good things about these:

http://www.hippohands.com/ They kinda look stupid, and unless you're planning on riding in extreme cold probably not worth it.

Edited by mgbgt89

I don't really need heated grips or sub zero type of deal. Like I said, i RARELY ride when its below 50 and only do that if its an early start and its going to warm up later in the day.

In the spring I just rocked some latex gloves under my normal gloves but that was a pain in the ass, they helped some but not a whole lot and I went through about 4 pairs that day

I don't really need heated grips or sub zero type of deal. Like I said, i RARELY ride when its below 50 and only do that if its an early start and its going to warm up later in the day.

In the spring I just rocked some latex gloves under my normal gloves but that was a pain in the ass, they helped some but not a whole lot and I went through about 4 pairs that day

Use Nitrile gloves (10 pack for $5 at H Freight) they're tougher. Wear the silk liners underneath. Toasty warm. I don't take them off unless I'm stopping for more than fuel. Pull them off inside-out and they're dry when you get back.

Plus, your gloves aren't even damp when you get home.

I've looked at these but they may be too bulky for under gloves CLICK

Fergot....V-Strom HandGuards fit just about everything - had 'em on my FJR and they went a long way to keeping hands warm.

Edited by hue jass

I wore these last year under my leather gloves. http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/search/pid1006610-ColdGear-174-Liner-Glove/1006610-002&FSR=1 28 minutes all freeway down to about 38 degrees in the mornings & I can still feel the zipper to take my gear off once at work. I tried the latex gloves as well but these are definitely a step up.

Edited by 216cityboy

I have a pair of joe rocket water proof balistic gloves. They have the plastic knuckle covers, with a full leather palm. They work for low 40, if it colder then that I put a set of silk liners in them. I also have a set of water proof ski gloves with a leather palm that I use for below 40.

I haven't found a set of insulated gloves that don't pinch circulation to my fingers. My bike came with some dirtbike hand guards which I'll be reinstalling for fall which block a lot of wind, and I wear latex gloves underneath my usual riding gloves. I wish I could find something better, I may look into getting a very large set of winter gloves that fit over my regular gloves and give that a try.

If you're really only on the bike on rare occasions in the cold why not just buy some Hot Hands shake/chem warmers from Wally World and use them on the occasions you need them? That's what I do on my offroad bike.

Put them on the top of your hand where the veins are, your mitts will be toasty and they'll work with any glove.

how hard is it to install heated gloves?

My hands easily frozen over with even minor dip in temp, hence the most expensive item among my gear is held freezer glove, seems to work quite okay compared to other winter gloves i have, but then again reduced sensation is there.

I will soon find out ... I just ordered some Oxford Heaterz from Twisted Throttle. They look to be pretty simple to install and don't cost any more than a decent pair of winter gloves.

Once the temp gets below 50 I have a hard time keeping my hands warm at speed. Most everything else you can just add more layers but thats difficult with your hands when you need to work the controls.

I got some hot hands incase its a little cool Sunday for the ride :D

Craig

Go to a red wings shoe store and get a pair of their insulated buckskin work gloves. Effective thinsulate insulation and a supple but tough leather glove to block the wind and protect you from.concrete. I ride with them down into the 40's, no problem.

I ended up picking these FirstGear Khatmandu gloves up last night. Somehow I got lucky as hell and State 8 priced them wrong so instead of paying $80 I only paid $40 :D

http://blog.revzilla.com/2010/09/fall-2010-firstgear-kathmandu-gloves.html