Blocking trucks from The Dragon

buildit

Maybe the legal question is will you sign the petitions? Copied from another forum.

Please take a moment to view these links and sign the petition. Please repost anywhere you think we can get signatures. Lets get this passed to we can prevent more fatalities that could be prevented.

http://www.change.org/petitions/ikes...rcial-vehicles

http://tailofthedragon.com/dragon_trucks.html

Ikes law is aimed at keeping large and over sized vehicles off 129 because of the roads dangerous curves and large population of motorcyclists who ride on it. The obvious issue is discussed at length on the other forum, riders need to slow down, be aware of possible obstacles that could be in their path.

What if it was reversed and locals (no way $$$) wanted to ban 2 wheelers? Just curious....

Do you understand WHY semi's shouldnt be on that road? If ANY kind of vehicle can't take a corner by staying IN ITS OWN LANE, it shouldn't be allowed on that road, especially US-129. There are a lot of corners where its just not possible for a semi to make the turn without using the lane of oncoming traffic. I nearly learned that first hand by meeting the grill of a Semi at 30mph (the posted speed limit mind you)

I used to work for Yellow so I know how this shit works with routing for the most part and its not up to the drivers most of the time so I get that. However, if it becomes a law then the operating companies have no choice but to set routes around these kinds of roads

And quite frankly they could close the Dragon to motorcycles and it wouldn't really bother me. In my opinion, its not even the best road in that area

Edited by Bad324

What if it was reversed and locals (no way $$$) wanted to ban 2 wheelers? Just curious....

Please view second link for photos of why trucks need to stay off this road.

If a motorcycle can't get passed a truck on the dragon what chance does a car have?

I have a CDL and lived in TN for 10 years...I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just playing devils advocate.

With the love (sarcastic) by the majority for LEO's, rules, and law on this board. I see this as odd...But I also realize this is a 2 wheel forum.

So if they happen to put more THP on the road to enforce this law (we like) and they happen to bust more riders for speeding, equipment inspection stops (2 wheel only) and improper lane usage?...Carefull what you ask for....

So would this ban only be during riding season?

Several times a year they should close it off like Pikes Peak and do times trials. That would bring in a lot of dollars.

Just shooting the shit, not trying to stir it.

• Upvote 1

You gotta realize that the trucks on this part of 129 and unsafe regardless of other traffic. If you have never been there I could understand your hesitation. The fact that you say you have makes me wonder why you'd put yourself at that level of risk let alone others? There are plenty of other examples of roads that are hazardous for large vehicles which have trucks banned from them. Just add this to the list.

Several times a year they should close it off like Pikes Peak and do times trials. That would bring in a lot of dollars.

They already do a few things like that every season.

They bring in a bunch of non-street-legal racing cars and time trial the road.

I have encountered a semi 4 times on this road (US129), the last being the closest call, a last minute warning from another motorcycle prevented a bad situation for me, one turn away, who knows the outcome if no warning was given.

• 2 years later...

LOL, pass a law as that solves everything.

If you really want change, make it a Toll road and charge for the priviledge. $10 a tire might solve the problem with gates on each end (ipass or other electro DragonSlayer wireless toll device) and the fee charge per drive, per direction.

Time stamp on the electronic toll ticket will provide you with proof of performance.

That would never happen as that would be the economic decline of the area. That entire area of businesses and people employed there survive because of motorcycle tourism and they know it. Trucks passing thru there do not support the areas pockets.

• Upvote 1

And hogs, the animal not the Cruiser. Though with that said the only bike I ever had cross into my lane on a curve was an Electra Glide

Also don't forget a pack of wild dogs. And the occasional black bear!

All these obstacles remind me why I rarely waste time on the Dragon

Track days have so much less... no on coming traffic, no hogs or other animals, no speed limit, no trucks, no mini vans or cars, and no tolerance to bs.

What they offer is a safer environment to riding with professional guidance. Track days do cost less in the beginning, then the addiction starts. For me I found love on the track, I found a way to become one with my bike. All your focus is on the bike, your position and the track. No worries about on coming traffic or animals. I found out my bike will do most of the work if I trust and respect her she will give me an adrenaline full ride.

• Upvote 1