Someone waves you out...

Scruit

If a driver signals that he is yeilding to you (waving you out of a sidestreet) then is that legally binding on him? (if you can prove he waved you out).

I know that you still must yield to other road users whi have ROW, but what if it the guy who waved you out that hit you? (changed his mind, staged accident etc) If you can prove he waved you out then dow that LEGALLY give you ROW over him? Or does he retain ROW even if you can prove he waved you out?

lol yeah, plus a dash cam normally only sees in front of you if the guy is stopped to your left, you may not catch it on cam at all.

personally, i hate when ppl wave me out, because they never look to see whats happening in the other lane. im not so concerned about them staging an accident as i am about them not seeing the douchebag doing 40 next to a row of stopped cars in the next lane.

How many people are running around with dash cams in their cars besides you and cops?

This thread was intended to be about whether someone can give up right-of-way and if it is legally binding.

Do a search for 'dascham' on ebay. More video than you could watch in a year. More and more prevalent as they become cheaper. There's talk about them being built into new cars.

lol yeah, plus a dash cam normally only sees in front of you if the guy is stopped to your left, you may not catch it on cam at all.

personally, i hate when ppl wave me out, because they never look to see whats happening in the other lane. im not so concerned about them staging an accident as i am about them not seeing the douchebag doing 40 next to a row of stopped cars in the next lane.

Depends on cam. Some are fisheye and can see the car waving you out. Mine can see a the first couple cars in all directions of a 4-way stop.

I never wave someone out unless I am the only lane the need to yield to.

As far as legally binding IDK but I used to drive for a large sanitation co and we were told we were not permitted to wave traffic around us because if we did and there was an accident the company was liable I don't know how true that is in Ohio it could be it's true in another state and just corporate policy. They said the only people legally permitted to direct traffic were police, fire/rescue and road construction crews

I remember on the driver's exam from way back in the day there's a question about making eye contact and all that... And I don't think a driver has the legal power to change the right of way. Right of way is determined by traffic items like lights, signs, lanes, and posted information... It's not changeable by Joe Schmoe :p

"I'm sorry, your honor, the light was red, but she waved me on anyway!"

I never take anyone at their "wave". You can't count on them being correct and if something happens, it's your word against theirs. Plus which will have more weight in court? He said/she said or the photographs and crash report showing you caused the accident? It is your responsibility to make sure you are operating the vehicle in a safe manner.

Edited by chevysoldier

How many people are running around with dash cams in their cars besides you and cops?

LOTS of people are nowadays. I'm looking for one to put in my work van.

I ride with my gopro in the work van sometimes but its inconvenient with

changing batteries and sd's. I need something made for cars.

I had a lady wave me out of a Speedway. She was gracious' date=' as the traffic was bumper-to-bumper... [/quote']

That's how I dropped my bike and almost got hit. I took the "wave out" pulling out the Speedway by my house,

almost got creamed by someone flying up the left turn lane and dropped the bike with a sudden stop.

Thanks, but I'll wait.

Again... don't be "polite". Just follow the f-ing rules!

I don't believe a wave will hold up in court. And as my dad used to say as the 60' motorboat approached our sailboat..... "yep, we have right of way......all the way to the bottom".

I remember on the driver's exam from way back in the day there's a question about making eye contact and all that... And I don't think a driver has the legal power to change the right of way. Right of way is determined by traffic items like lights, signs, lanes, and posted information... It's not changeable by Joe Schmoe :p

"I'm sorry, your honor, the light was red, but she waved me on anyway!"

I believe we have a winner. :cool:

You cannot "waive" right of way with a "wave".

As someone else said, right of way is determined by law and posted by signage and signals.

I suppose in this litigious world, you could sue the person waving you on if they end up hitting you, but I think you'd have an uphill battle.

If I were investigating a crash like what you describe, I'd cite the right of way violator every time even if they were being waved on.

And how do you know, for sure, that they are even waving you on? Maybe there is a bee in their car, the sun is in their eyes, they are having a bout of turrets, who knows?

I don't wave people out, and I don't trust their waves. If at a four-way stop, I might point at someone, but don't wave them out. I'm not going to be responsible for them causing a problem. Let them make a decision.

As far as trusting waves, my flashback is when I was a kid, maybe 10-11 years old. I was in the back seat, dad was driving. We were at some kind of stop. I blurted out that it was "clear on my side", so he pulled forward. Almost had a major mishap. Granted, he shouldn't have trusted me, just like I don't trust others.

I'm thinking abotu a situation like joining a backed-up main road from a sidestreet. "Downtown" Dublin gets liek that during evening rush - you either get waved out or you wait until the rush is over.

Did I mention I was watching a thing on staged accidents for insurance fraud? Apparently the "helpful wave" followed by the "ram you" followed by the "I never waved!" is common. Although I trust and give waves on a case-by-case basis, it just was a thought exercise for me to determine if a wave could hold weight in court, if proven.

The answer is apparently NO.

Again... don't be "polite". Just follow the f-ing rules!

I don't believe a wave will hold up in court. And as my dad used to say as the 60' motorboat approached our sailboat..... "yep, we have right of way......all the way to the bottom".

More people need to re-learn this. Especially since being polite usually screws everyone behind you in most instances.