???question on the new car carry rules????

crb

Inquiring minds want to know if under the new rules I can have a loaded AR pistol on the back seat under the seat, etc LEGALLY?

While we are at it can I legally ccw an AR pistol? If so where can I get a holster?

I've been thinking about getting an AR pistol for funzies!

AR pistols are one of those things that look good on paper but are not so great in practice. I'm not super sure but it might qualify as a short barrel rifle, which requires an nfa tax stamp and disqualifies it from being a pistol and so from the concealed handgun laws. Also its a really good example of people trying to hammer a round peg into a square hole. The AR was designed as a rifle by stoner for a reason. An AR pistol is like putting a turbo on a camry: why not just get something purpose built for your aplication? That being said, they look fun! I would want a thicker grip, maybe a MOE or something like that.

AR pistols are one of those things that look good on paper but are not so great in practice. I'm not super sure but it might qualify as a short barrel rifle, which requires an nfa tax stamp and disqualifies it from being a pistol and so from the concealed handgun laws. Also its a really good example of people trying to hammer a round peg into a square hole. The AR was designed as a rifle by stoner for a reason. An AR pistol is like putting a turbo on a camry: why not just get something purpose built for your aplication? That being said, they look fun! I would want a thicker grip, maybe a MOE or something like that.

Its not a sbr as long as the receiver is originally registered as "other" and you can not put a stock on the buffer tube.

Ill get to pick up my "other" receiver tomorrow from Dale and order my 2 uppers YAY!!!!!!!!

Wow, nope i had not seen these... Might have to look at another build project. That last one is bad ass!! Hmmm i would assume you can do this with the AR10 as well!?!?! :D

i've never seen this done with an ar10, nor would that be practical. :lol: 5.56 is easily manageable but .308 would be a monster for a pistol. :lol: Can't say i wouldn't build it though! I plan to build an ar pistol next year!

Loaded AR pistol with a ccw should be gtg…Good luck finding a holster.

Just remember, though, that if you introduce an otherwise unloaded rifle of compatible magazine and caliber anywhere in the vehicle, the rifle is then considered a loaded rifle by Ohio law, which is a no-no in OH.

You guys are missing the idea of a AR pistol... For your true Black ops guys and SS agents have carried these and MP5's and kept them concealed under a suit jacket.

Now with the new piston drive uppers you can build one with a collapsible stock so it would be no bigger than a MP5

Loaded AR pistol with a ccw should be gtg…Good luck finding a holster.

Just remember, though, that if you introduce an otherwise unloaded rifle of compatible magazine and caliber anywhere in the vehicle, the rifle is then considered a loaded rifle by Ohio law, which is a no-no in OH.

Let me get this straight, if I'm carrying a Glock with a CHL and I'm going to the range with my Kel-Tec Sub2000 that accepts Glock magazines I'm doing so illegally? Please post the ORD for that.

let me get this straight, if i'm carrying a glock with a chl and i'm going to the range with my kel-tec sub2000 that accepts glock magazines i'm doing so illegally? Please post the ord for that.

Yes, illegal.

ORC2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle

© No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

(K) As used in this section:

(5) “unloaded” means any of the following:

(a) no ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question. For the purposes of division (k)(5)(a) of this section, ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.16

Edited by chevysoldier