trailer bike on one side of the trailer

ama146

i have a TSC wood floor trailer with 2 wheel chocks bolted down. my question is, is it okay to tow a single bike on the trailer if the bike is not centered?

like in this pic, but my trailer is smaller and the chocks aren't so far apart. but the same concept

bikeontrailer2.jpg

Edited by ama146

I would say on occasion it wouldn't hurt anything to do it in a pinch...I did it from south cbus to my house one timewithout problems about 70 miles... if your planning on a long haul I wouldn't do it, will probably wear your trailer tires out quicker more than anything

You might get some uneven tire wear on the trailer tires, but it won't cause any problems.

I moved my bike to the right side of my trailer to make more useable space on the left side for "stuff" like an ez-up and such. I have noticed 0 problems, and I took the bike to Summit Point, WV and back like that.

I do try to put as much stuff as possible on the trailer (and not in the car) to balance things out, but even with JUST the bike there, the trailer tracks 100% fine.

My trailer's rated for 1100 lbs, so I figure each tire is designed to have 550 lbs on it. the ~400 a bike weighs over 1 of the wheels is not overloading it. You MAY want to be cautious and take right turns slower if you're worried about the trailer flipping, but I honestly don't thinkt hat would be an issue unless you're pulling a serious emergency evasive maneuver.

This is like the guys that think they wear out their tires when riding the freeway and why they ride back roads...

Tire wear? Unless you are hauling every day and for thousands of miles, you're not going to have issues. Worried? Trailer day 1 on the left, day 2 on the right, day 3 on the left again, repeat, repeat...

I have a cargo trailer that typically runs just one bike on the right side and no bike on the left. Guess what? Tires are fine...

As for towing, it isn't going to flip, isn't going to pull off center and it isn't going to tug you to one side of the road vs another.

The removable chock idea is stellar and should be done just because it would be easier to load it in the center vs climbing or moving around a wheel/fender. But, if you can't or have to make a lot of mods to do so, just strap it down and let 'er eat.

I haul one bike sometimes, right side, not sure why always the right, but it just is...I did this from Ashville, NC, 500+ miles, just a few weeks ago, no issues, two down, one back, not the first time either...6x14 enclosed.

I haul one bike sometimes, right side, not sure why always the right, but it just is...I did this from Ashville, NC, 500+ miles, just a few weeks ago, no issues, two down, one back, not the first time either...6x14 enclosed.

Because you have better access to needed controls when you load a bike on the right side.

I would say on occasion it wouldn't hurt anything to do it in a pinch...I did it from south cbus to my house one timewithout problems about 70 miles... if your planning on a long haul I wouldn't do it, will probably wear your trailer tires out quicker more than anything

:slap: tires aren't made out of play doh.