Anybody into jeeps?

attentiongetter92

I like jeeps, but i've never owned one. Would like to pick up an older beat-up model for when it really gets snowing.

the CJ's appeal to me the most, because they're so simple, and you can rebuild them from a damn catalog, but I don't want anything too crazy.

- manual transmission

- working 4x4

- (mostly) water-tight interior

- working heater

I'd only plan to drive it when the snow was really bad, or it was good top-off weather.

this would be ideal, if it weren't rattle-canned... http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/2691905058.html

That paint job is fukin baller, but you don't want it. The 4cyl. YJ's were horrible. That iron duke based pos was completely powerless. As in 45 on the freeway climbing hills floored in 4th gear. Junk.

i got a friend that goes wheeling with me shes got a basically stock 07 4dr jk and as much as i hate jeeps gotta give it to the truck its quite impressive. the only thing done is a flowmaster and 285/75/16 mts and it performs flawless. not my yota i break something everytime. last trip it was driveshaft, buckled frame, exploded front ring gear, twisted the rear axle off the mounts, and broke both front hubs.

:nono: It's an inline six.

damn! i thought I (the guy who has never owned a jeep) was going to get to be the one to point this out.

But back on topic - are the 4-bangers unreliable, or just gutless?

I wouldn't be buying a jeep for highway trips or drag races. I probably wouldn't even put anything bigger than 32" tires on it.

That said, I don't imagine that the I4 gets much better mileage than the I6... (and it would be pretty weird to have the same size and configuration engine in my nissan, and my jeep...)

damn! i thought I (the guy who has never owned a jeep) was going to get to be the one to point this out.

But back on topic - are the 4-bangers unreliable, or just gutless?

I wouldn't be buying a jeep for highway trips or drag races. I probably wouldn't even put anything bigger than 32" tires on it.

That said, I don't imagine that the I4 gets much better mileage than the I6... (and it would be pretty weird to have the same size and configuration engine in my nissan, and my jeep...)

Gutless - save up a little more $$$ for the 4.0L...you won't regret it.

The ad that redkow posted says 4cyl. In the first line. That's what everyone is refering to.

Not at the time. They were saying to AVOID the I4, and he said, "go for the 4.0 V6." No such engine exists (from jeep anyway. Ford used one in the ranger, and last generation V6 mustang though)

while the latest generation wrangler has used a 3.7 liter V6, prior generations have used the 4.0 liter inline six.

Not at the time. They were saying to AVOID the I4, and he said, "go for the 4.0 V6." No such engine exists (from jeep anyway. Ford used one in the ranger, and last generation V6 mustang though)

while the latest generation wrangler has used a 3.7 liter V6, prior generations have used the 4.0 liter inline six.

Mopar used a 4.0 v6 too, in the dodge nitro and a couple others :D

i got a friend that goes wheeling with me shes got a basically stock 07 4dr jk and as much as i hate jeeps gotta give it to the truck its quite impressive. the only thing done is a flowmaster and 285/75/16 mts and it performs flawless. not my yota i break something everytime. last trip it was driveshaft, buckled frame, exploded front ring gear, twisted the rear axle off the mounts, and broke both front hubs.

Sounds to me like you need a jeep :D I recommend the xj, zj(5.9 v8 .:drool:. ) wj(which is what I have). And I noticed you said your wheeling with a lady friend, a twin size air matress will fit PERFECTLY in the back of it with the seats folded flat :ky:

:wtf: That's what I was saying, avoid the 4cyl. Then dude says it was a 6. Then I said we were talking about the camo Heep in the ad.

Am I in bizzaro world?

Oh shit... Lol!!! My bad!! When I typed that, it was when I first woke up, so brain fart on my end.. Sorry!!! Haha yes, I know they have inline and straight 6's. Very easy motors to work on.. And yes, the newer ones are V6's lol

Edited by fireman_343

I've got a 94 YJ. With the 2.5 4 cylinder and manual trans. Yes, the thing is gutless and noisy, and the fuel economy *might*have equal that of the 6, but for my purposes, it does just fine. It'll do 70 on the freeway, and since I don't drive it much more than 25-30 miles at a time, it's okay. I'd love to have the six, but frankly, those were out of my price range unless I wanted the optional "Flintstones road visibility package ". If all you want/need is a simple, relatively cheap, 4wd runabout, don't overlook the 4 cyl. YJ.

Do you have any experience working on the 4.0? I keep throwing the idea of dropping a cam in mine and don't really want to pay the mechanics high prices

Yes, some experience with them, but I've never put a new cam in one.. I've got a good friend u can take it to and have it done for cheap.. Shop is in Columbus