Were you hoping to strike it rich with the Marcellus Shale?

Casper

I seriously doubt this. I'd love to see exactly what they think is the link as I find it more coincidence than anything else. If this were the case, I'd also like to know why Southwestern Pennsylvania isn't experiencing unusual seismic activity and they outnumber Ohio drilled wells by at least 5:1 ratio

I seriously doubt this. I'd love to see exactly what they think is the link as I find it more coincidence than anything else. If this were the case, I'd also like to know why Southwestern Pennsylvania isn't experiencing unusual seismic activity and they outnumber Ohio drilled wells by at least 5:1 ratio

Uh, the link? How about the epicenter of the 4.0 over the weekend was the well? :lol:

the reports I heard yesterday were 4 miles from the well

I thought slant drilling a mile or more in all directions was common.

edit: I'm going to guess that there is some sort of minor fault line running in that area.

edit: I'm going to guess that there is some sort of minor fault line running in that area.

I didn't think that was common practice on an injection well. Thought they were limited to a smaller area than that but I could be wrong. In my 3 years here we haven't dealt with any injection wells so I'm just going off what I think I remember vaguely listening to at a conference

No fault line. That was the big issue. They've had several earthquakes originating from the same area. It wasn't a big deal until this past weekend though. This earthquake was apparently 10x stronger than anything else they've had in the area.

They have some major facilities up there to "clean" the water then have it ran through the sewage plants. We'll see how this goes.

Near Youngstown? Unless I'm out of date, I thought the closest processing plant was in Washington County, PA. I know there were plans to build a couple processing plants in Ohio but that conference was nearly a year ago so I suppose they could've gotten one up

They just prohibited the opening of 4 new "disposal wells" .... they'll just find someplace else to put it.

Yep, Chesapeake's got millions tied up in this. There's about 7 new wells around me and 3 currently drilling. They have even paved roads just to drill and are running a huge high pressure pipeline across Carrol county. They arn't stopping. Although earthquake insurance might be a good idea.

Check this link. The pipeline extension is already happening. They're digging up hillsides. It's going to go across the street I live on.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2011/12/23/newpipelinetocarryohiogas.html

Yep, Chesapeake's got millions tied up in this. There's about 7 new wells around me and 3 currently drilling. They have even paved roads just to drill and are running a huge high pressure pipeline across Carrol county. They arn't stopping. Although earthquake insurance might be a good idea.

Check this link. The pipeline extension is already happening. They're digging up hillsides. It's going to go across the street I live on.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2011/12/23/newpipelinetocarryohiogas.html

Pretty sure we are doing that high pressure line :D

Work isn't going to stop anytime soon, the boom is so huge and so profitable not only for the oil companies, but the trickle effect to other companies such as ours and subcontractors and even the landowners.

I think what people are failing to realize is that the well in question is an injection well and not near the same as a regular oil/gas well

Edited by Bad324

If you're doing it, I don't envy that job the last few weeks. It was a sloppy mess on the stretch that crosses 43 north and south. It's turning east and coming thru Herberts tree farm to the well. It's all flagged up in his woods going thru Area 330 I believe. Do you work on the crews in Carroll county or just in the office?

If you're doing it, I don't envy that job the last few weeks. It was a sloppy mess on the stretch that crosses 43 north and south. It's turning east and coming thru Herberts tree farm to the well. It's all flagged up in his woods going thru Area 330 I believe. Do you work on the crews in Carroll county or just in the office?

No I'm just an office jockey now. Occasionally when needed I run parts up to our crews or move any of our equipment that doesn't require a CDL but thats only when everyone else is occupied so its few and far between. During college I worked in our garage and pipeyard and was out at job sites more often. Instead now I sit behind the computer and track the various costs, revenues and all that boring crap to make sure we are on schedule and not losing our ass

I don't know enough about the pros and cons of this oil gathering process. Which side do you believe? Of course the energy companies look at as profit, but what is the possible issues for the environment? What does this water injection process do to the water wells out in those rural areas? Distruption of possible widelife by making roads and having equipment running? Farmland?

If I was a landowner, I might be tempted by a big check or royalties ( not sure what a typical agreement is ) but would like to know the possible issues with the water in those areas.

FUNK NO... I just want to be able to get rid of my house and move before they come down there and track mud and chit all over the roads (that you know damn well they are not going to be cleaning off) and before the rest of the water supplies are turned to chit...

there is a documentary (ala Supersize Me) that shows a lot of the environmental fallout associated with the hydraulic fracture process. the name of the film escapes me, but essentially people were having their wells contaminated with the chemicals, or with the natural gas that was being recovered. there were several scenes were people could light their kitchen faucets on fire. the oil company, of course, denied any wrong doing, and put the onus on the affected people to prove that the process was contaminating the water. most of us aren't geologists, but anybody can see that the process isn't perfect and could use better oversight from the environmental protection people.

but anybody can see that the process isn't perfect and could use better oversight from the environmental protection people.

agree on the first part but definitely not the last part. The EPA doesn't really get how oil and gas works so they tend to just fuck shit up instead of make it better for everyone. Not to mention they are probably in bed with the idiot in the white house and his many ties to "green" energy which will never work but lets just keep wasting money on it

Well lets just put a stop to it all together instead of wasting any money on either side of it at all... Problem solved.

gas companies cant complain about the EPA anymore... EPA cant find ways to slow or stop them and we dont have to pay for the wrecklessness of either side.

Well lets just put a stop to it all together instead of wasting any money on either side of it at all... Problem solved.

gas companies cant complain about the EPA anymore... EPA cant find ways to slow or stop them and we dont have to pay for the wrecklessness of either side.

negative, the gas companies and EPA both need to become more efficient