Hot Tub Time. Need input.

MidgetTodd

So.. Im gonna put a privacy fence around my back patio and put a hot tub there. I know I want at least a 4 person but more likely a 6 person or possibly bigger if price is right. I plan on having several hot tub parties and hopefully all will be NWS :) . Now, I know nothing about hot tubs yes nothing. Was thinking a used one off CL as there are many on there and new seems to be very pricey. So need input from those of you that have them and or install them to tell me what not to do and what is involved in the install and pick up of a used one ect. Looking for knowlege so I dont get Woodbury'd.

Outcold3.jpg

Just get a never ending pool. Problem solved. When is the first party...

All I know is there are chemicals involved. a cover. My dad hated ours. just about as much as he did the pool. had twenty different chemicals in the garage just to correct the PH levels in the pool. Some of the chit he had after it went in you could not get into the water for 24 hours...

That and all of my friends hot tubs have my kids swimming in them :D

Edited by Beegreenstrings

whatever size you think you may want or need, get the next size up. Two of my friends have made this mistake and regret not going bigger

This. Go as big as you have the room for, or make more room. I'd say no to a 4 person for sure, and a 6 would be too small still. Unless all of the party attendees are midgets as well.

Go big or go home!

Be prepared to spend money here and there to fix, plus chemicals.

whatever size you think you may want or need, get the next size up. Two of my friends have made this mistake and regret not going bigger
Noted
That and all of my friends hot tubs have my kids swimming in them :D

This will be a given here too

This. Go as big as you have the room for, or make more room. I'd say no to a 4 person for sure, and a 6 would be too small still. Unless all of the party attendees are midgets as well.

Go big or go home!

Be prepared to spend money here and there to fix, plus chemicals.

We are a very "close" group so tight quarters wont be a problem but yes I get the point. 6 person minimum now scratch the 4 person.

Even some that are considered 6 person ones are small depending on configuration. I'd say go with a huge 8 person. Then you'll have plenty of room for "activities". But it will also cost more on a monthly basis.

Do you need to run a water line to them or do you just fill once with a hose?

If fill once how often do you change water? I assume you leave the heat on all the time, how much does that run?

No need for water line, just fill with a hose. I don't believe you have to change the water real often because of the chemicals keeping everything relatively clean. And yes, heat stays on all the time but csn be lowered a few degress when not in use. Unfortunately this is about the extent of my hot tub knowledge other than about the "inappropriate actives" mentioned above, I know a lot about those. :D

No smaller than six and eight is best. Six will be good for 4 if you need help moving one you got my # anytime in the evening or weekends

Point Hutch in the general direction of your house and he'll shotput it over there. It would help to get some old mattresses to break the fall once it gets there.

:D

I bought a used one at my old house, and I just bought another used recently that I have yet to install. no problems on either. But, my brother has bought the same models from the same place that I have, and had issues on both of his. 1 major issue, the other not so much. If you can see it in operation, I wouldn't be so worried about a used one for the right price.

I am on my 4th one it is by far the best one I have owned! It has a synthetic wood surround- bugs dont eat it,it doesnt rot or fade in the sun.the shell is some new composit plastic material it cleans up much easier than the old ceramic ones. My new one has an ozonator in it wich releases ozone into the water every so often so you dont have to use as much chemicals. The one I currently have has 51 jets, and waterfall has 2 blowers and a digital screen. got it on ebay for $2600 delivered to my driveway complete with cover! Scioto valley was asking $10k went on sale for $6700 The other thing i would tell you is to make sure it uses a "balboa" brand unit as they are by far the most used and easiest and cheapest on parts. My current tub is 8'x8' my last one was 10x10 and I wish I would have kept the big one. Ive had partys where everyone couldnt fit in.

Features that I recomend

1) ozonator

2) synthetic wood surround

3) 220volt

4) composit plastic shell

5) digital controls

6) get the cover lift