We should petition for this in Ohio: Illinois motorcyclists can run red lights

Casper

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/12/30/motorcycles-bicycles-can-run-red-lights-under-new-law/

Long story short, motorcyclists and bicyclists in Illinois can now run red lights if they don't change within two minutes.

Seriously guys and gals, we should put forth an effort to get that same law passed here. Anyone interested in helping me put some sort of online campaign together?

Yup, Strictly beat me to it. Damnit.

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=87269

So, anyone interested in pushing for it here?

Hell yea, Sitting at a redlight when its 90 degrees out and your bike is starting to overheat sucks. Or when you are in a hurry and you have to sit at a light for 5 minutes till another car comes up.

If everyone here would sign a petition thats over 6000 signatures

I'd leave it alone. An out already exists as a "malfunctioning traffic signal." If you're on familiar roads you know if it didn't trip. If you're elsewhere, you figure it out the second cycle.

I can see this as a bunch of idiots saying "I'm allowed to run red lights" (nice effing article title), and some cops saying "that wasn't two minutes."

I've honestly never had trouble tripping a light on a CBR (I am^H^H was always conscious of where the loop is coming to a stop), but I have missed some left-turn triggers in my truck when the road is snow-covered.

The AMA already worked with ODOT on this issue looks like a petition is going to be a waste of time.

http://vtrc.virginiadot.org/rsb/RSB25.pdf Ohio info starts on page 42

+1

This has been beaten to death in Ohio, I don't expect it to go anywhere. FWIW, I pick up the phone/email ODOT whenever I have a problem. I have found those intersections get fixed very quickly. I had a bad one at the end of my street. One email and it was fixed. They tore the whole thing up and repaired it.

The Illinois governor's amendatory veto message created an ambiguity that coudl have killed the whole concept...

Last item in the veto message was;

no vehicle may proceed past a red traffic signal where turning on red is prohibited.

So that means the new powers for a motorcycle to tread a dud red as a stop sign is NOT valid on "no turn on red" intersections?

Lucky that the veto was overridden.

We already have a malfunctioning light rule. If anything we just need to add a definition that a light that doesn't change for a motorcycle is a "malfunctioning light" and that red-light-cameras cannot ticket when a bike runs a malfunctioning lights and can only convict bikers if they provide evidence that the bike failed to wait for a reasonable amount of time.

The AMA already worked with ODOT on this issue looks like a petition is going to be a waste of time.

http://vtrc.virginiadot.org/rsb/RSB25.pdf Ohio info starts on page 42

A paper-trail of prior complaints is nice if you get stuck at an intersection you visit regularly and know to be a bad detector. However it won't help that first time.

I agree that I'd rather have a technical solution and not get into the whole "When it a red not a red?" question. But it would be nice to have some kind of protection if you have to run a red you haven't been to before.