Need some advise on pistol sights

Scarlett Harlot

I have problems seeing the sights on my Ruger MKIII 22/45. My eyes can't clearly focus on either the front or rear sight. In a high-contrast and well lit enviornment I can almost get a clear sight picture but most of the time it is my best guess as to where the sights are pointing. Went to the range on Sunday to fire my new G23 and shoot some zombies with my Ruger and the range was so dark that I couldn't even begin to use the sights.

Is a red dot type sight an answer? Any ideas?

When I can see them, the stock sights are dead-nuts on.

Edited by Scarlett Harlot

Ruger MKIII. I have the same gun. Don't know what to say other than I don't like any of the sites these pistols come with these days including fiberoptic. Huge gaps between the front and rear in the sight picture. I like a tiny rifle front site and rear site where there is little room for error in lining it up so it fits just perfect. One thing I do is look at the target not the sights.

Even with young eyes, it is impossible to have the target and front and rear sites in focus at the same time. You should focus on the front site and both the target and the rear sight will be a little fuzzy. Once you get old enough to need reading glasses, even this will be difficult. The red dot site will fix this, but it is kind of cumbersome for a carry gun. Big white dots on the sites help. For target shooting, try some weak reading glasses. I usually shoot two-handed, but if you try one-handed you will usually find that you can see the sites better since they will be a bit farther away. Getting old sucks.

I have problems seeing the sights on my Ruger MKIII 22/45. My eyes can't clearly focus on either the front or rear sight. In a high-contrast and well lit enviornment I can almost get a clear sight picture but most of the time it is my best guess as to where the sights are pointing. Went to the range on Sunday to fire my new G23 and shoot some zombies with my Ruger and the range was so dark that I couldn't even begin to use the sights.

Is a red dot type sight an answer? Any ideas?

When I can see them, the stock sights are dead-nuts on.

Not sure about that Glock though.........:flingpoo:

Even with young eyes, it is impossible to have the target and front and rear sites in focus at the same time. You should focus on the front site and both the target and the rear sight will be a little fuzzy. Once you get old enough to need reading glasses, even this will be difficult. The red dot site will fix this, but it is kind of cumbersome for a carry gun. Big white dots on the sites help. For target shooting, try some weak reading glasses. I usually shoot two-handed, but if you try one-handed you will usually find that you can see the sites better since they will be a bit farther away. Getting old sucks.

Last night I practiced with some white paint on the front sight, then a little on the rear sights and it just comes out that I have 3 fuzzy white things on top of the pistol. Interestingly enough my new glock with the standard sights is much easier to get a sight alignment in the same conditions that render the Ruger's worthless.

Guess these old eyes need a little help. Vance has a Truglo on sale and it looks like it will cost me $36 to see if this is the fix.

Do they have any color to the sights at all? You might try to take a small brush of white paint or even white out to the front siget and see if that will help any.

I would try this and see if it helps, I have used Red nail polish as well, paints on easy and seems to hold up for a long time. We used to always paint our shotgun sights red. I am from up state NY and when hunting with snow on the ground it is kind of hard to see your white sights while trying to shoot a running snow shoe rabbit with the blanket of snow it is running on.

They also make a bright yellow highlight type paint meant specifically for painting your sights. Maybe try that. :confused: