CrazyThoughts! (What would you do?)

rslocum

Thanks guys looking forward to seeing everyone at the track.

Had a question about insurance? I assume it's still possible to get some minimum insurance to protect against fire, theft, etc. even know it will never be registered for the street. What do you guys do with your track only bikes? Thanks.

Getting a dedicated track bike is a good idea as you don't have to worry about wadding up your daily rider. I have a ratty old Ducati 900ss that I have a blast on and I think a lot of that comes from not worrying about trashing my daily rider. No insurance. Car insurance covers it while trailering, I believe, that is what the agent said.

As a track bike, you don't have to register it or title it unless you want to. I did get mine titled with OH as an off road vehicle to transfer the title to my name.

Nothing wrong with the CBR as a track bike, just a bit of overkill. 1199 is one sexy machine but at 20K, I don't think I could ever bring myself to ride it in the manner it was intended.

• 3 weeks later...
Would'nt homeowner's or renter's insurance cover that if it was at your home. Or if it was on a trailer would your auto insurace cover it. Would'nt hurt to ask your agent.

Finally got around to asking my agent about insurance(state farm). If it is not

going to be registered on the street and just used for track/race they will not even insure it for fire and theft. Also your home owners/auto will not cover it in the event of fire or theft because as a vehicle it's its own entity. She did give me a couple numbers to local insurance groups who might cover it but haven't had a chance to follow up. At this point I might just take my chances instead of adding to the thousands of dollars I already pay out to insurance.

First, don't even MENTION track/race for a bike. If it is a clear title, just insure it for full coverage or whatever you want to insure it for.

If you crash it at a track day, it is a school or learning environment and would be covered. Typically, the track days will send or write up a letter and state these facts.

If you crash when racing, well... You'll need to get creative is all I will say.

I never insured my bikes. If they ever got stolen at the track, I'd be hosed. At home, it is no different than a dirt bike. Home owners will cover an amount that will never cover what I have in it, but will net me some assistance.

Dunno. Probably jinxing myself here, but I would probably consider insuring mine like I used to do, but really not sure how easy it would be to steal a pure race bike as it wouldn't even have a key nor registered. I'd think it would be easy to find or search out, but maybe I am being a little relaxed about it...

Used to insure the bikes. When we went to Kawasaki and had 3-4 bikes in the garage at one time, I stopped. But, probably should...

Just a note on insurance at the track.... most companies will cover if it's a track day ( school ) but not if it's a race... but there are a few insurance companies that do not cover if 'on a track that is used for racing'.

I carry coverage just in case it get totaled at the track - but read your policy closely.

On the insurance coverage - most companies will cover you if you're on the track at a school ( track day) but will not if it's a race.... however there are a few companies that will not cover if you're on a track that holds races - so check the policy carefully.

I carry coverage just in case it gets totaled!!