3 bike open trailer- $500 obo

Simplysix

Whoa! That trailer is rigid!! Solid axle directly to frame?? Can you imagine the hop that thing would get with a tire out of balance?! No way I'd strap my bike to that and drag it around....:nono:

EDIT - meant the CL ad, not yours Coot

No problem man. Mine has leaf springs. I've used it 4 times and it worked great the most I ever had on it was 2 bikes but I've seen a pic from the person bad bought it from with 3 on it and 1 in the bed of a pickup. Hell its been on the dragon once with me.

not rigid,Torsion axle. At least it looks like a torsion axle. If not, ya, screw that thing.

"edit" second look. If it's torsion it's upside down or fubared. My bad.

Edited by Gump

Does anyone know a place that sells steel like those rails are made of?

Looks like channel iron, maybe 5" or 6" - can buy it in precut lengths or by the foot - check local steel yards and they should have it - but if you build one, at least put some suspension under it. I would think the guy that built the trailer in the CL ad would have faired a better design if he'd sprung the axle and mounted it with the drop pointing up......that thing is so low, you be scraping bottom on a poorly placed manhole cover:D

No problem man. Mine has leaf springs. I've used it 4 times and it worked great the most I ever had on it was 2 bikes but I've seen a pic from the person bad bought it from with 3 on it and 1 in the bed of a pickup. Hell its been on the dragon once with me.

yea its a good trailer. My dads best friend trusted it enough to get his $50k Panhead from Cleveland to Findlay and back

Looks like channel iron, maybe 5" or 6" - can buy it in precut lengths or by the foot - check local steel yards and they should have it - but if you build one, at least put some suspension under it. I would think the guy that built the trailer in the CL ad would have faired a better design if he'd sprung the axle and mounted it with the drop pointing up......that thing is so low, you be scraping bottom on a poorly placed manhole cover:D

I had found some online and it was $140 for 10 foot piece does that sound about normal?

I had found some online and it was $140 for 10 foot piece does that sound about normal?

Not at all.......I've bought 20ft sections of 4" at work for less than half that - I'm sure the grade of steel varies the price quite a bit - just standard cold roll would work fine but you would want to prep/paint immediately after its cut and welded to your frame - cheap stuff will rust FAST

EDIT - correction, thinking it was carbon steel ( not sure if cold drawn or hot roll ) but you will have to call more than likely - none of our local steel suppliers post pricing online - cheaper yet, you can ask for "drops" over certain lengths where they had leftovers from cutting other orders......that would be the cheapest route and easiest to handle

Edited by Hellmutt

Not at all.......I've bought 20ft sections of 4" at work for less than half that - I'm sure the grade of steel varies the price quite a bit - just standard cold roll would work fine but you would want to prep/paint immediately after its cut and welded to your frame - cheap stuff will rust FAST

Well that's good to know I'll have to do some calling around

it also needs to be wide enough for a 190 tire so what probably 8" wide

it also needs to be wide enough for a 190 tire so what probably 8" wide

8" might be a little drastic ( especially on price ) but I'd think that 6" would work since the tires profile rolls up, but without a 190 tire and a tapemeasure handy I'm not sure -- If you want to build a trailer, it's going to be hard to beat framing a rectangle floor with 2" angle iron and spot weldin' in sheets of perforated steel -- probably be the the cheapest route overall? Metal fab guys would know more obviously, but I'm just trying to think logically ( I know, logic doesn't apply here! ;))

I've got a good open trailer for sale if anyone is interested. I'd probably work with you a little on price too. It has leaf springs.

http://ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=87622

That's a decent little tugaround - are there side fences or rails for it too?