Did Honda get this right?

DAC

\When gas goes to $5, I bet they'll sell a ton of these with DCT.

nice bike but needs more power

And unless there is a castrophic event, nothing in the futures pricing indicates near $5 a gallon so don't believe everything the government spits out ;)

There was an article on this bike in the latest Motorcyclist, although it was the NC700s. Says this won't be offered in US in 2012 anyway most likely due to the lack of market in the states. I personally like it for a commuter. Something to think about when a used market would appear for them and keep miles off a better machine.

Saw the bike at IMS, its definitely built for a smaller person, at least compared to older v-stroms. Some of the features are pretty neat, lockable storage gas tank, etc. It definitely looks like a honda built to a price point, which it is. There was a comparison by some French? magazine online with the new vstrom and this bike. Honda is really pushing the high mpg, but essentially in the comparison it came out that you are working the Honda harder in the city and out on the open road it really struggled. They concluded that the mpg was a wash and they would rather have the strom, they got essentially the same mileage and the strom has more power and was a better all-rounder. Now the Crossrunner... where they shoehorn at vfr800 motor into a "pseudo" adv bike, that has me intrigued!

Edited by mike884

ew spoked rims. no thanks.

There is a very good reason why many ADV bikes have spokes, and that doesnt mean they have to be tube tires. I still have the new Triumph 1200 at the top of my list should I ever sell my C14, the Tenere is a very close 2nd.

has anyone checked the actual bike out at any of the IMS?

Yes, I saw the bike in Cleveland. It didn't do much for me but it was getting quite a bit of attention from J. Q. Public.

I am not really sure what Honda is trying to do with this one. Channeling a bit of Ducati Multistrada into a Adventure bike? I feel bad for all the die hard VFR fans that just wanted a lighter bike with a bigger motor.

I feel bad for all the die hard VFR fans that just wanted a lighter bike with a bigger motor.

this certainly doesnt channel the VFR at all. Like said somehwere in this thread, the Crossrunner will be much more interesting to see since it utilizes the 800 motor from the VFR :)

The NC7 doesn't channel anything else except maybe a standard. Honda puts it in an adventure category - whatever. Seems like an unpretentious all around bike you hop on and go someplace with.

Looks like they took the wimpy Dullsville motor and put it up higher in the air. Oooh, and you can get it in automatic. That'll be a big seller.

Honda really, really, really doesn't understand the market.

I think it more that Honda is not targeting the rider who really wants to take it off road like you. They are targeting the majority of Vstrom and Versys buyers as well as bikes like the 650R. Most riders never even take their Vstrom on a dirt road let alone "off-road". They want the higher more upright seating position at a reasonable price. And some(many?) are interested in a easy to ride economic city bike that can take the freeway without feeling tapped out.

I think this loks like a good bike for many people. However you may be correct that it wont sell well because it is not serious enough. So the enthusiasts wont be interested which will mean it gets poor press and reviews.

We will see. My biggest concern is that this will take sales away from the more hardcore bikes which means they will be updated less often, the less expensive bikes will tend towards this more road oriented design, and there will be less serious used bikes on the market.

Craig

I sat on it at Cleveland... I like the ergo's of those type bikes. It's not meant to be any kind of "off road" bike...I see bikes like this (Versys, V Strom etc.) being the "standard" bike of today.

I like my Versys a lot...It suits me fine, Kawasaki lists it as a sportbike, as opposed to the sportbikes being listed as "supersports"...I've put many 500+ mile days both on my Gen1 FZ1, and the Versys....two of my favorite bikes ever. The Versys will cruise at 80+ on the interstate with no problem, and is great in the twisties....

Edited by jnor

Saw this at IMS but did not get to sit on/ inspect it because there was 10 people standing around it.

But I think this bike will be for someone looking to have a XR650 enduro but beable to put more road miles on it. I would imagine this is a little more stable/ comfortable then an XR.