lost ccw training certificate?

Steve Butters

From scanning ORC 2923.125 it appears the certificate is required for renewal.

You need to realize that the attorney general handbook is not law it is a summary.

Please read F(1)(a) under that orc. It states a license can be used as proof of taking the class. I'm on my phone otherwise I would paste it in here.

You are wrong again.

Directly from the OCR you quoted:

(F)(1) A licensee who wishes to renew a license to carry a concealed handgun issued under this section shall do so not earlier than ninety days before the expiration date of the license or at any time after the expiration date of the license by filing with the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or with the sheriff of an adjacent county an application for renewal of the license obtained pursuant to division (D) of this section, a certification by the applicant that, subsequent to the issuance of the license, the applicant has reread the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731 of the Revised Code that reviews firearms, dispute resolution, and use of deadly force matters, a nonrefundable license renewal fee in an amount determined pursuant to division (F)(4) of this section unless the fee is waived, and one of the following:

(a) If the licensee previously has not renewed a license to carry a concealed handgun issued under this section, proof that the licensee at one time had a competency certification of the type described in division (B)(3) of this section. A valid license, expired license, or any other previously issued license that has not been revoked is prima-facie evidence that the licensee at one time had a competency certification of the type described in division (B)(3) of this section.

(b) If the licensee previously has renewed a license to carry a concealed handgun issued under this section, a renewed competency certification of the type described in division (G)(4) of this section.

You can just use your existing license for renewal.
Please read F(1)(a) under that orc. It states a license can be used as proof of taking the class. I'm on my phone otherwise I would paste it in here.

Website where the code quoted below was found:

(F)(1) A licensee who wishes to renew a license to carry a concealed handgun issued under this section shall do so not earlier than ninety days before the expiration date of the license or at any time after the expiration date of the license by filing with the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or with the sheriff of an adjacent county an application for renewal of the license obtained pursuant to division (D) of this section, a certification by the applicant that, subsequent to the issuance of the license, the applicant has reread the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731 of the Revised Code that reviews firearms, dispute resolution, and use of deadly force matters, a nonrefundable license renewal fee in an amount determined pursuant to division (F)(4) of this section unless the fee is waived, and one of the following:

(a) If the licensee previously has not renewed a license to carry a concealed handgun issued under this section, proof that the licensee at one time had a competency certification of the type described in division (B)(3) of this section. A valid license, expired license, or any other previously issued license that has not been revoked is prima-facie evidence that the licensee at one time had a competency certification of the type described in division (B)(3) of this section.

Still doesn't explain the sherriff's website or what he told me. I wonder if they have discretion to require additional items??

I believe their only discretion is whether or not to issue the license.

Ohio is a "shall-issue" state, which means unless he has a darn good reason, you're getting the license.

I stand corrected I wasn't about to read the entire thing that's why I said from scanning it appeared.

Still doesn't explain the sherriff's website or what he told me. I wonder if they have discretion to require additional items??

Could the info on the sheriff's website be outdated or just incorrect? :dunno:

No, the Sheriff does not have ANY discretion to change any of the State Firearm laws. This is simply an error on your Sheriff's part. If you want, you can sue him and he will lose and he will have to pay all your attorney fees.

Or you could just drop him a polite email pointing out the error.

ORC 9.68

9.68 Right to bear arms - challenge to law.

(A) The individual right to keep and bear arms, being a fundamental individual right that predates the United States Constitution and Ohio Constitution, and being a constitutionally protected right in every part of Ohio, the general assembly finds the need to provide uniform laws throughout the state regulating the ownership, possession, purchase, other acquisition, transport, storage, carrying, sale, or other transfer of firearms, their components, and their ammunition. Except as specifically provided by the United States Constitution, Ohio Constitution, state law, or federal law, a person, without further license, permission, restriction, delay, or process, may own, possess, purchase, sell, transfer, transport, store, or keep any firearm, part of a firearm, its components, and its ammunition.

(B) In addition to any other relief provided, the court shall award costs and reasonable attorney fees to any person, group, or entity that prevails in a challenge to an ordinance, rule, or regulation as being in conflict with this section.

© As used in this section:

(1) The possession, transporting, or carrying of firearms, their components, or their ammunition include, but are not limited to, the possession, transporting, or carrying, openly or concealed on a person’s person or concealed ready at hand, of firearms, their components, or their ammunition.

(2) “Firearm” has the same meaning as in section 2923.11 of the Revised Code.

(D) This section does not apply to either of the following:

(1) A zoning ordinance that regulates or prohibits the commercial sale of firearms, firearm components, or ammunition for firearms in areas zoned for residential or agricultural uses;

(2) A zoning ordinance that specifies the hours of operation or the geographic areas where the commercial sale of firearms, firearm components, or ammunition for firearms may occur, provided that the zoning ordinance is consistent with zoning ordinances for other retail establishments in the same geographic area and does not result in a de facto prohibition of the commercial sale of firearms, firearm components, or ammunition for firearms in areas zoned for commercial, retail, or industrial uses.

Any class or training I take I keep the certificate or receipt in a folder in the safe.

i had my ccw class one in our safe with hers, she cleaned out the safe and somehow threw them out....

the advance class we took, they spelled my name wrong on the certificate so i emailed asking for a new one and never got it....oh well i guess

I didn't need my certificate for my renewal in 09.

good to know!

guess i dont need to worry about tracking down my certificate.

anyone know of a good ccw class in columbus my mom can take, if i cant get through to chief? sucks she will have to retake it - but guess thats what happens when you throw away important paperwork

I can probably get her in at the club i am a member at in Canal. Its Central Ohio Coon Hunters club. It would cost her $50 for the class and she would need to bring 200 rounds of ammo with her. Great class and is a little more than your basic hence the 200 rounds. She would shoot from behind cover, kneeling, sitting, one handed both left and right, hostage situations, extreme pressure situation (they stand behind you and yell at you while another one tells you which target to shoot and when)etc. It is held by a retired officer and he is helped by two Sherriff officers that run the quallifying for the Sherrifs dept. They do all day Saturday classes and Sundays depending on when she would need it. They provide pizza for dinner and you bring your own lunch. Let me know if interested and i will talk to him.

hell, i would be interested in that one myself lol...i will let you know after i talk to her and after im sure chief fell off the map

dont suppose they provide a firearm? chief let her use a 22 he had, she hates my 40 and cant hit a barn from 2 ft with it, and doesnt have her own yet

if not ill talk her into a p22 or an lc9

depending if she decides to take it, i will shoot you a PM

thanks

I stand corrected I wasn't about to read the entire thing that's why I said from scanning it appeared.

Pro tip: LE doesn't always know the law, especially when it comes to firearms laws. The law regarding CCW in Ohio has been updated quite a few times.

And just to make your head explode, both my original ccw and my renewal were obtained without a DD214 or having taken a CCW class.

Edited by walther_gsp

I'm pretty sure that our advanced class certificate from November will count for your renewal. You may want to contact our instructor.

I tried to get one from them, but they spelled my name wrong. Asked for duplicate and they never sent it..

But from what I'm hearing, I don't even need my certificate. Maybe I'll shoot another email just to have it.

My mom is the one looking for hers, she took the class with chief but lost her certificate so she cant apply for chl.

I tried to get one from them, but they spelled my name wrong. Asked for duplicate and they never sent it..

But from what I'm hearing, I don't even need my certificate. Maybe I'll shoot another email just to have it.

My mom is the one looking for hers, she took the class with chief but lost her certificate so she cant apply for chl.

My understanding (open to correction) is that your *first* renewal does not requre the certificate because the ccw class is good for 6 years and the permit is good for 5 - the law assumes your first renewal is within the 6 years of the first class. Your second renewal will required some kind of range competency re-certification however even the first wave of CHL holders aren't up for second renewal until next year.

My understanding (open to correction) is that your *first* renewal does not requre the certificate because the ccw class is good for 6 years and the permit is good for 5 - the law assumes your first renewal is within the 6 years of the first class. Your second renewal will required some kind of range competency re-certification however even the first wave of CHL holders aren't up for second renewal until next year.

yea, and by then ill have to take another class anyways, even a recert....so i dont "need" my certificate...if i can get it, cool...if not, oh well

i guess ill tell her to call mechanicsburg pd and see if they have a phone number for chief, and if not she will have to retake it