So i got me a new bike finally

socaln8tv

been a while ya'll but i finally landed a new bike perfect for me, a honda 599. had a chance to ride a couple of weeks ago and even though it was like 50ish outside it was great to hop on even if briefly.

i just cant take the cold. which leads me to my question. in general i have a really hard time staying comfortable temperature-wise riding, no matter the time of year.

what are some tips to keep the "breeze" out when riding?

Congrats, as far as keeping the cold out i wear rockys thermal pants(from walmart), a hoody under my riding jacket, a face mask with a scarf around my neck, and all other normal gear(helmet,boots, gloves). I recommend heated gear if you go cold enough, my fingers hurt for a while if its under 40.

Also... pics of new bike?

Its all about dressing appropriately. I've got a riding jacket with a heavy, comfy zipout liner. Cover your neck (balaclava), and warm shoes. For me, the sun being out makes a huge difference. A sunny 49 degree day: I'll ride. Cloudy and 49: Nope. Gloves are the tough part for me. I don't like bulky, but don't like stinging fingers, either. Also, WHERE you ride makes all the difference. The highway will feel much colder than putting around town.

I went out on Sunday, and it was in the low 40s. Not a long ride, but it was sunny and dry. I'll take what I can get in the middle of February.

If you've got a full Carhartt-type of suit, that would probably rock. I need to try that.

Really good gloves that stay warm. Tall warm boots and socks. One layer of light thermal top and bottom work for me. Leather jacket. That's about all for me.

599 is 919 baby brother/sister. Not slow. Nice bike.

Oh, and gloves, I fit between medium and large. So I buy the larger size. You don't want tight on fingers in the cold. Won't work, they need to be a bit loose.

edit: I wanted to ride this morning... but then the cold windy wet rain started, and I changed my mind.

Edited by ReconRat

I've done the cold in insulated coveralls from Wal-Mart over my jeans and my regular riding jacket with my balaclava and some good gloves. I found that with a windshield on my VStar, I could ride comfortably down to about 30*F , and if it was going to be pretty nice in the afternoon, I could tough it out to work down to about 19*F. I only did that a couple of times though, not a fan of ice on the road.

Now I have a nicer leather coat with an insulated liner, and I have insulated leather chaps. I'm good down to about 38*F. Much colder than that, and I'd rather take the cage than spend an extra 20 minutes getting ready for work.

Oh yeah, and the 599… Don't they call that bike the Hornet? Needs more pics!

...Oh yeah, and the 599… Don't they call that bike the Hornet? Needs more pics!

Both the 599 and the 919 are named Hornet everywhere but the USA, where AMC originally owned the rights to the name. So Honda called them 599 and 919.

edit: btw, there is also a 250 Hornet, that never made it to the USA.

Hornet's Nest

http://www.hondahornet.co.uk/

NEWNEST10.jpg

http://www.hondahornet.co.uk/images2/NEWNEST10.jpg

Edited by ReconRat

wow, thank you for so many suggestions, product ideas etc... trust me, i am taking notes.

i really want to enjoy riding and for me, its going to mean staying warm. i dont have many pics yet, but i will try to post some soon. its a good lookin bike, no bling or mods ( but i did just order a ride naked sticker !!!!! i can resist ) but now i actually have a bike that doesnt bore me to tears and can still practice cornering on, i will def. want to ride more often. its asphalt black, and i really like it... here is what blows ya'll -- my 6 year old daughter actually tipped it over and now i have scratches and a tiny dent on the tank. argh!!!!!!!!!!! im still trying to stay sane over that incident.

my 6 year old daughter actually tipped it over and now i have scratches and a tiny dent on the tank. argh!!!!!!!!!!! im still trying to stay sane over that incident.

As long as she didn't get hurt in the tip over, count your blessings. If it were me, I'd leave the scratches and tiny dent as a reminder to never ride over your head, and always make it back home to what is really important. Besides, I'm sure she feels just awful about the whole incident.

• Upvote 1

As long as she didn't get hurt in the tip over, count your blessings. If it were me, I'd leave the scratches and tiny dent as a reminder to never ride over your head, and always make it back home to what is really important. Besides, I'm sure she feels just awful about the whole incident.

yeah she does. its one of many things the kids have done over the years to our vehicles of bikes as youngins'...

my oldest took a sharpie to the entire interior of my brand new tundra some years ago.:eek: that was painfull. more than this!

good way to look at the situation! for sure i would be devastated had she got hurt :nono:

ooooooooooh yeah!!!! there she is :) like i said, im so elated to have found a bike that suits me in every way. thank you for posting :bow:hue jass!! i work so much i really dont have to time to peak on the board 'cept nightime and occasional mornings.

Nice job!!! Does it look like this?

slu0w8.jpg

Ftfy....Please post pics!!!
:D ill be sure to post that pic as soon as the sticker arrives LOLOL

on a side note, i was cruising around another bike forum specific to my bike and some guy posted a practically naked pic of his own wife in fishnet stockings on it. :nono:

ooooooooooh yeah!!!! there she is :) like i said, im so elated to have found a bike that suits me in every way. thank you for posting :bow:hue jass!! i work so much i really dont have to time to peak on the board 'cept nightime and occasional mornings.

You know you're going to have to find time for at least a few rides this season! Have you taken it out at all yet?