Track bike project in full swing

RVTPilot

Looks great. Few suggestions...

-Take and remove the screws that hold the upper secure where the mirror mounts are and replace with a black zip tye. Reason being is that the zip tye will break in a crash and save the wings on the upper avoiding breaking them off and a lot of work repairing them.

-Shorten the frame sliders. The rider's left one is really long. Hard to tell on rider's right, but if too long, they will not only grab more, but also bend or snap off the motor mount. We have gotten away from frame sliders as most racers no longer run them due to these issues. Just a suggestion from experience...

-The throttle tube and clip-on really needs a plastic cap like on the clutch side. Reason being that if you crash, you will grind down the throttle tube and make life really tough to get back into the races or track day times you have left. Plus, those plastic caps can avoid replacing the bar at times also. You pop the caps off and replace.

-BRAKE LINES! Essential on the GSXRs. They are notorious for brake fade even with good braided lines. I suggest Speigler.

Outside those things, looks great!!

Looks great. Few suggestions...

-Take and remove the screws that hold the upper secure where the mirror mounts are and replace with a black zip tye. Reason being is that the zip tye will break in a crash and save the wings on the upper avoiding breaking them off and a lot of work repairing them.

-Shorten the frame sliders. The rider's left one is really long. Hard to tell on rider's right, but if too long, they will not only grab more, but also bend or snap off the motor mount. We have gotten away from frame sliders as most racers no longer run them due to these issues. Just a suggestion from experience...

-The throttle tube and clip-on really needs a plastic cap like on the clutch side. Reason being that if you crash, you will grind down the throttle tube and make life really tough to get back into the races or track day times you have left. Plus, those plastic caps can avoid replacing the bar at times also. You pop the caps off and replace.

-BRAKE LINES! Essential on the GSXRs. They are notorious for brake fade even with good braided lines. I suggest Speigler.

Outside those things, looks great!!

Thanks, Brian! Some of what you mentioned falls in to the things left to do list (brake lines, clip on tube ends) as well as having to relocate my front brake res, swap coolant... On the upper mirror mounts, right now I am using a stock fairing stay, and the little collars that stick up through the skin are all that's connected there. I did have zip ties through there, but b/c the collar is taller than the skin is thick, it rattled. So I am probably going to grind down those collars and zip tie it until I get an AM stay.

On the sliders, I bought those the day yours showed up in the mail, LOL. There was $40 I could have saved. Anyway, I appreciate the suggestion there on them. I was in fact curious about any slider snapping off a bolt in the frame if/when I lose my battle with gravity in a given corner. Methinks getting the bolt shank out of the motor would be a bitch of epic proportions.

I hope to get lines and pads done on the thing before the weekend at Nelsons, but can go with what I have if necessary. Given all the newness and things to sort out, It just may not all get done in one weekend. Still, considering what the bike came from when I bought it, I'm pretty proud of what I have been able to do, and no small thanks to you, Kevin, and the OR peeps that have chimed in and given me some great ideas!

Dude!! Your pipe is magically hanging in mid air!!

:D

Fixed that this morning. I wrangled and mangled the aluminum one from Gregg and the exhaust now hangs properly. Brian's is steel, and I was not strong enough to mod it, nor would i want to. Next on the exhaust side is to shorten up the aluminum TRS can like we did the CF.

Thanks, Brian! Some of what you mentioned falls in to the things left to do list (brake lines, clip on tube ends) as well as having to relocate my front brake res, swap coolant... On the upper mirror mounts, right now I am using a stock fairing stay, and the little collars that stick up through the skin are all that's connected there. I did have zip ties through there, but b/c the collar is taller than the skin is thick, it rattled. So I am probably going to grind down those collars and zip tie it until I get an AM stay.

On the sliders, I bought those the day yours showed up in the mail, LOL. There was $40 I could have saved. Anyway, I appreciate the suggestion there on them. I was in fact curious about any slider snapping off a bolt in the frame if/when I lose my battle with gravity in a given corner. Methinks getting the bolt shank out of the motor would be a bitch of epic proportions.

I hope to get lines and pads done on the thing before the weekend at Nelsons, but can go with what I have if necessary. Given all the newness and things to sort out, It just may not all get done in one weekend. Still, considering what the bike came from when I bought it, I'm pretty proud of what I have been able to do, and no small thanks to you, Kevin, and the OR peeps that have chimed in and given me some great ideas!

Perfect! Yes, the sliders are something to consider ditching for track use. Guys will argue, but after 14 years and all you have to do is look at any Club or AMA grid and you will see a majority not using them. Ripped out a few motor bolts. Yes, epic is a great word... :D

Just get the lines pulled and replaced and fill the fluid. We can bleed them at the track in no time. Just bring fluid and we can hammer it out Saturday. You really need the lines more than anything else as they are really going to be an issue if using stock. Plus, WAY easy and very quick to do...

I'd run the OEM stay as they are fairly cheap now. We stopped using the aftermarket ones due to Ebay being able to get OEM ones really cheap. Check on them as they may not be anymore... I may have one at home. Let me check...

Again, I will make you a smokin deal on that damper...;)

Fixed that this morning. I wrangled and mangled the aluminum one from Gregg and the exhaust now hangs properly. Brian's is steel, and I was not strong enough to mod it, nor would i want to. Next on the exhaust side is to shorten up the aluminum TRS can like we did the CF.

Sorry about that, man. Problem when using different exhausts and mid-pipes. Those were prototypes and were for the exhaust I was using... I thought it was not going to work when I saw the pic and the distance from the sub to the can. If I find something or anything, I will bring it to Nelson at the end of the month.

Sorry about that, man. Problem when using different exhausts and mid-pipes. Those were prototypes and were for the exhaust I was using... I thought it was not going to work when I saw the pic and the distance from the sub to the can. If I find something or anything, I will bring it to Nelson at the end of the month.

Shit...no worries! If you want yours back for a system that you still have, it's all good. Otherwise I will just pay it forward to the next guy whom it might help.

Shit...no worries! If you want yours back for a system that you still have, it's all good. Otherwise I will just pay it forward to the next guy whom it might help.

Nah, you keep it. Won't fit on the RC8! :) pay it forward, man. It's all good!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, with the exception of swapping out the shorter frame sliders, she's ready for Nelson next Saturday.

IMG_9194.jpg

IMG_9201.jpg

Buncha thanks for r1crusher for all his help, and to KTM-Brian for some great advice and some goodies! This was a ton of fun over the last couple months, and it was great turning wrenches with a purpose again. From a $1500 junked bike that spent last year in an impound lot to what it is now, I think I did okay. Scoured for deals on various forums, got great deals from Shop Dog Cycles and Riders Discount, and even have a few leftovers that I don't need as spares to sell on ebay to generate a little funds for my track habit! Here are some of her better traits as she sits right now:

Full Yosh stainless system w/chopped RS-3 CF can

520 Kit (JT up front, Driven in the back -1/+1)

Motion Pro Revolver throttle kit

Vortex clip-ons

OSF Rear sets

Galfer SS front lines

So, here's to keeping it upright and in decent shape this season! Really excited to shaking it down at Nelson. I know the suspension needs dialed in , and I will be putting at the bare minimum some springs in the front forks soon. Otherwise, its about just getting better and staying better this year.

• Upvote 1

Here are some of her better traits as she sits right now:

Full Yosh stainless system w/chopped RS-3 CF can

520 Kit (JT up front, Driven in the back -1/+1)

Motion Pro Revolver throttle kit

Vortex clip-ons

OSF Rear sets

Spiegler SS front lines

FTFY. I should know....I friggin' gave them to ya, slacker.

Yes, you gave them to me. Remember this box they came in?

IMG_9205.jpg

I bet you think your Mrs. F-150 is made by Chevy, too.:p

Fucktard. I told you that was the box my REPLACEMENT lines came in.

:nono:

You and the Mrs. just need to go back in the kitchen and make me a sammich.

Don't feed his ego please. He has a hard enough time putting his lid on now that he put on the final +15hp stickers.

Don't hate my hawt secksi rattlecan paint job and free stickers! I told ya...if you're gonna be slow and seen, look good doing it.:p