Watch out for Mark the bike mechanic!

LJWalter

So I was having some trouble with the Triumph TT600's clutch. 2 weeks ago i searched craigslist to find a bike mechanic to help me out. My add was replied to by a guy named Mark. I explained to him the issues i was having and he told me i needed new friction plates. I ordered them, called him when they came in and he came over & installed them for me. (have not done a clutch before, didnt want to screw anything up). At the time he put them on, the bike's tank was off as i was waiting for a new fuel pump gasket. Now with it put back together, something is majorly fu*ked! I dont get any response from the clutch at all. Pulling it does nothing.

Of course i called Mark & the phone is shut off....

End of the day, this guy made my problem worse and im out $$$$.

Due to now being broke, i will take my chances on fixing it myself. If anyone is familiar with Triumph sportbikes i could use some direction and/or advise.

Better yet, anyone in the Columbus area, (hilliard), that likes beer & turning wrenches, hit me up.

Thanks!

Friends don't let friends find mechanics on Craigs list.:nono: Seriously, ask people here. Get two or three people who have had a good experience and then contact the mechanic. I bet if you ask around here someone would be willing to help you reinstall the clutch right for a few beers. Otherwise save some money and take it to a good shop.;)

I think you would have gotten better help if you would have asked on here, and you would have learned how to do it yourself so that if a problem like this arose you could fix it as well by yourself. Anyway, look at the lifter arm (part 24) and see if that rotates freely and without resistance or not.

You're from Hilliard, Shop Dog Cycles is in Hilliard, I think we have a match! Hoblick is an upstanding guy that knows what he's doing.

There are a few other shops that are sponsors of the forum here, and I believe all of them would do a good job with such a job at a reasonable price for you. There are also several of us that are very mechanically inclined that would be able to accomplish the task as well.

You trusted some one off CL to work on your bike that you've never met? Also your a member on a motorcycle forum with multiple triumph owners/riders? I guess you asked for that one. Also a lawsuit is no help if you can't contact/find the person, guessing he was using a burner.

Look, man... There are guys that are legit mechanics. Don't take a Triumph to a guy on CL. Hell, don't take ANY bike to a dude off CL. The fact is that bikes are not like replacing a chain. You need to find a guy that has a legit tech that can work on your stuff.

Take it to a dealership as they have the tools and if something is odd, can help with Good Will or warranty.

I never understand the idea that taking it to a back yard mechanic makes any sense. A lot of things can be done by yourself and clutch replacement is pretty low on the technical level. However, many people do not have tools or the time and thus, a tech is what they need. Finding someone that is a proper trained tech is important or you run into these kind of things...

Your best bet no matter what you own is buying a certified Service Manual. Not a Chilton style one, either. One direct from Triumph. Hell, you can probably find it free online if you look hard enough...

Look, man... There are guys that are legit mechanics. Don't take a Triumph to a guy on CL. Hell, don't take ANY bike to a dude off CL. The fact is that bikes are not like replacing a chain. You need to find a guy that has a legit tech that can work on your stuff.

Take it to a dealership as they have the tools and if something is odd, can help with Good Will or warranty.

I never understand the idea that taking it to a back yard mechanic makes any sense. A lot of things can be done by yourself and clutch replacement is pretty low on the technical level. However, many people do not have tools or the time and thus, a tech is what they need. Finding someone that is a proper trained tech is important or you run into these kind of things...

Your best bet no matter what you own is buying a certified Service Manual. Not a Chilton style one, either. One direct from Triumph. Hell, you can probably find it free online if you look hard enough...

Agreed, except for the dealership part. A reputable independent repair shop is usually just as cpapble.

Sorry about your bike. That sucks. Hopefully' date=' you'll get her squared away. For future reference, anybody that will diagnose your bike (or car, or lawn mower, etc) 'over the phone' is questionable.

FTR: I've repaired quite a few motorcycles that were fucked up because of shitty dealership service. "Factory-Trained" doesn't always mean what we think it means.[/quote']

Pauly is exactly right. Sometimes factory trained, just means they attended a training session, watched a video explaining how to do whatever needs fixed and getting an attendance award for showing up.

Sorry about your bike. That sucks. Hopefully' date=' you'll get her squared away. For future reference, anybody that will diagnose your bike (or car, or lawn mower, etc) 'over the phone' is questionable.

FTR: I've repaired quite a few motorcycles that were fucked up because of shitty dealership service. "Factory-Trained" doesn't always mean what we think it means.[/quote']

I really HATE when people call the shop wanting to know how to fix their car over the phone. :nono: I guess I should GIVE them what I normally get paid to do, just because they called on the phone and I don't have to do any physical work. :rolleyes:

Wont make this mistake again for sure. Thanks for the good advise. Im going to tear into it starting tomorrow night. I will start a thread and post pics/questions, need everyone to chime in with help.

Thanks in advance.

Still interested if anyone can do house calls to help a brotha out.

Agreed, except for the dealership part. A reputable independent repair shop is usually just as cpapble.

I agree 100%. That's why I take my stuff to Reuben. He's a certified tech in numerous Japanese brands and has had experience on some higher level teams not to mention his own racing program that saw him as a number #1 national plate holder...

But, just because someone is an independent shop owner doesn't mean they are reputable... It always pays to do homework... CL ain't doing good homework.;)

Good luck LJW, there's plenty of brain matter to be picked here - and if not, then sign up with Triumph forum that OldSchool suggested for sure........when I had my YZF, I was on their UK forum asking for advice regularly........pays off big when you have to do your own work