97 ZX6-R Hard to start after plug change

Blitz

I changed the plugs on my bike last week. The bike used to start up every time with one touch of the ignition. After changing the plugs it was taking three or four tries and would start after backfiring.

After I get it to start it runs great and runs like it normally would. But it is very hard to start and yesterday it wouldn't start until I ran my battery down enough where the reason it wouldn't start was because of the battery. I actually purchased a new battery thinking maybe it wasn't getting enough juice and it's still very hard to start.

Any ideas on what would cause this? I switched from a CR9EK (dual tipped) spark plug with a very small gap (from the previous owner) to a CR9E as called for by the service manual with a much larger gap of .7. Don't know if that would make any difference or not. I'm wondering if I just need to adjust my valves.

Any help is appreciated.

Carbed. Wires were right.

I just took the new plugs (CR9E) out with the intention of putting the old ones (CR9EK) back in. They didn't look that bad at all anyway.

New ones are ashy white. Putting old ones in now to see if that does it.

Carbed. Wires were right.

I just took the new plugs (CR9E) out with the intention of putting the old ones (CR9EK) back in. They didn't look that bad at all anyway.

New ones are ashy white. Putting old ones in now to see if that does it.

Interesting. Ashy-white residue I thought was caused by burning oil. I could be mistaken though.

It was the plugs guys. Cleaned up the old ones with a nail file and paper towel, put 'em back in and it fired right up like always.

Lesson learned. If it aint broke, don't fix it. This time fixing it, actually broke it.