My first ride... ever

abdecal

I couldn't be happier that I decided to get a motorcycle. After hours practicing maneuvering in a parking lot and in my neighborhood I finally took it out on the road with my brother following in the car behind me.

Rode about 15 miles trying to avoid congested areas. A little scary going over 45mph but I imagine that's something you become comfortable with the more you ride. Do you guys remember your first ride?

:zx10r:

Congrats. Stay off busy roads until you have more experience. The more you ride the more comfortable you will become.

I remember sitting there with cars next me thinking I dont remember them being this big. My first freeway ride was at like 3 am or something and no one on the road. Good times. I miss my 250r. Ride the crap out of that bike its a fun one.

I couldn't be happier that I decided to get a motorcycle. After hours practicing maneuvering in a parking lot and in my neighborhood I finally took it out on the road with my brother following in the car behind me.

Rode about 15 miles trying to avoid congested areas. A little scary going over 45mph but I imagine that's something you become comfortable with the more you ride. Do you guys remember your first ride?

:zx10r:

It's won't be long until you're having troubles keeping it down close to speed limit. Well, other than on the freeway, then you'll be trying to keep up! (Not really, but don't even try it until you have some miles!)

My first time on a bike on the street was sooo long ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday.

It'll be no big deal after a while, but once you get comfortable, don't become complacent.

Always stay vigilant, alert, aware of your surroundings, and try to have a "plan B" just in case someone does something stupid.

Congrats!

I remember my first ride off post in Monmouth, NJ in 1987 - it was scary but thrilling, too. Eventually, it became comfortable and I also found someone to ride with while I had my permit before taking the license test at the DMV.

Ah yes... Remembering back to the first real ride. Rode over to Iron Pony in the rain with a helmet that was way old, and way too big that I was borrowing. Came home with a new (cheap) helmet and a pair of gloves (was using mechanics gloves) and a big relief that I had made a trip into the big city and back without incident! Chevysoldier was with me, had a few weeks of experience on me at that time! Now when I go over there, I just take the freeway instead of back roads.

my first ride was on a 89' katana 750 this was in 94' or 95' it was at a birthday party and a buddy said take it for a spin after about 10 miles i had her up to about 120mph and i was hooked bought my first 90" gsxr 750 a week later

Congratulations! Your happy now, and it's only going to get better. I think what I like most about riding is the feeling of Freedom.

Noted above, being aware of the surroundings is Very Important.

Don't really remember my very first solo ride (over 20 yrs ago), but I do remember the parking lot practice, anyone can go straight and fast, it's going slow and manuveuring that takes practice. What I do remember most about the first season I rode was:

The first time I went over 100mph! I couldn't wait to go to work and tell the older guy who rides a bike all about it. He listened to my story and said ...... Wow, what would you have done if a dog ran out in front of you? I had no answer. I think about this everytime I ride.

I'm not saying don't go over 100, just saying know your bike.

I learned to ride on dirt bikes and some motocross. By the time I decided to go to a street bike, I already had some skillz.

3 hot items of advise.

1. Ride like you are invisible to all other people on the road. (They dont see you, but you see them.

2. Always -- look where you want to go. (If you see trouble, dont look at it, look to the way out, you will instinctively steer that way.

3. Practice, Practice, Practice. - Youve heard of atheletes doing reps. Why do they do this? So, when situations come up, the correct action is automatic. The more you practice, more you wont have to think what to do, you will react correctly, safely.

Good luck, grasshopper.

my first ride was on a 89' katana 750 this was in 94' or 95' it was at a birthday party and a buddy said take it for a spin after about 10 miles i had her up to about 120mph and i was hooked bought my first 90" gsxr 750 a week later

Wow. 120 on your first ride. I was gonna piss myself at 60,lol After about 5 miles I got much more comfortable but I'm still not completely comfortable with it.

Wow. 120 on your first ride. I was gonna piss myself at 60,lol After about 5 miles I got much more comfortable but I'm still not completely comfortable with it.

ive done some dirt riding before ...but i was young and dumb then too:nono:

Congrats on your first ride. It gets better from here on out just like everyone else said be aware of others on the roadway. For my first ride I was on a 94 zuki katana and just did some local riding before I bought my cbr and enjoy riding even more. Stay safe

That's a great looking bike,especially for you're first bike.

My first ride...I don't remember my first ride,but I know it would have been on my little YZ80 around '73.My first legal ride would have been on a Kawi TE250 in '76.Over 200,000 miles later it's still a blast!

First ride on a motorbike was about age 8 or 9.

First street ride was about 20 years ago. Unlicensed, went a few miles on Yamaha TZR125 bike and nearly got hit several times from going too fast. Gave up on the idea of riding for abut 12 years. Picked it up again about 8 years ago - older, wiser and with a better concept of mortality than when I was a teenager.

My first ride in traffic was about a month ago on my GSXR 600, and it was scary, but im a tad bit more comforatable with turns and such now. You are from franklin right? PM me if you ever want to meet up and ride!