Rider Mistakes and Lessons Learned

abdecal

When you stop at intersection behind a car favor one side not the center so you have an out if a car approaches from behind and doesn't see you.

I've never ridden a 250 but with that smaller bike you might want to stay in a lower gear in traffic to keep rpm's up so you have more power to escape if need be

-Just because there is a yellow line in the middle of the road doesnt mean an oncoming car wont cross it.

-When riding in the country take extra care during the times when farmers plant and harvest thier fields.

Like redkow97 said "There is always more traction on the asphalt than in the grass." Twice that has saved me.

Noticed bikes slow down very fast when you let off the throttle due to how they're geared. Do you flash your brake lights to cars even though you're not braking? This is probably taught at the MSF course but I have no idea. It seems like the logical thing to do.

Noticed bikes slow down very fast when you let off the throttle due to how they're geared. Do you flash your brake lights to cars even though you're not braking? This is probably taught at the MSF course but I have no idea. It seems like the logical thing to do.

I do this a lot shift down and slow down I'll tap the brakes to signal that I'm stopping.

• Upvote 1

Ride your own ride never ever try to keep up with someone if you aren't 150% comfortable with the pace.

+1 to this, from me.

That, and assume you are invisible to other traffic regardless whether you're in a car or on a bike.

I almost never use my brakes to slow down unless I am coming to a complete stop but I do tap the brake a few times just enough to engage the brake light and flash the person behind me. If you dont have LED lights, make sure you hold it long enough to illuminate the bulb, tapping too fast may not even engage the light.

Look where you wanna go not where your at
You have two sets of handlebars, the ones you grab onto and your eyes.

Wherever you're looking is where you'll go.

Don't believe me? Try it (in an empty parking lot)...

***edit - what Grape said... :D

doesn't work for me....:nono:

I go where I turn, I keep my eyes moving back and forth scanning for the unexpected, If I turned where I looked, I would be a crazy weaving psychopath.

doesn't work for me....:nono:

I go where I turn, I keep my eyes moving back and forth scanning for the unexpected, If I turned where I looked, I would be a crazy weaving psychopath.

This is not meant for riding in a strait line, it is meant for turning. You should always be looking around but when turning you should turn your entire head and look through the turn.

This is not meant for riding in a strait line, it is meant for turning. You should always be looking around but when turning you should turn your entire head and look through the turn.

Right now I find myself concentrating more on riding the bike so I don't crash it and less to traffic. With experience this will change so right now I stay away from anywhere with traffic lol

Don't get high on your own supply and never underestimate the other guys greed!

Wait, that is advice for another conversation.

Don't use your rear brake. Your motorcycle is not your Huffy. 90% of your braking power is in your front brake. Use it. The rear brake has uses, but not when you are a noob.

Be very aware of your lane position.Be sure to not get in anyone's blind spot,if you can't see their face in their mirror they probably can't see you.Sped up or slow down,but don't stay in their blind spot.

Don't ride in the middle of the lane,that's where all the junk(sand,oil,car parts,road kill,etc) will be.Stay in the car's tire tracks...it tends to be cleaner there.If there is no one in front of me I stay in the right tire track to keep a little cushion between me and on coming traffic.If there are cars in front of me I stay in the left tire track so on coming traffic can see me.

And for God's sake don't get trapped behind a cattle truck...ever see how much pee is in a holstein?

Be very aware of your lane position.Be sure to not get in anyone's blind spot,if you can't see their face in their mirror they probably can't see you.Sped up or slow down,but don't stay in their blind spot.

Don't ride in the middle of the lane,that's where all the junk(sand,oil,car parts,road kill,etc) will be.Stay in the car's tire tracks...it tends to be cleaner there.If there is no one in front of me I stay in the right tire track to keep a little cushion between me and on coming traffic.If there are cars in front of me I stay in the left tire track so on coming traffic can see me.

And for God's sake don't get trapped behind a cattle truck...ever see how much pee is in a holstein?

This is good advice. I was riding in the center of the lane always. Definitely will be switching it up now.

Don't get high on your own supply and never underestimate the other guys greed!

Wait, that is advice for another conversation.

:lol: I just watched that the other night

Don't use your rear brake. Your motorcycle is not your Huffy. 90% of your braking power is in your front brake. Use it. The rear brake has uses, but not when you are a noob.

+100000000000. I came about an inch away from highsiding when I first started riding because I locked the rear brake. Came up a hill and when I crested it there was a car stopped in the middle of the road. Panicked and locked the rear and slid out around it and luckily I slowed down enough to not get thrown off when I let go of the brake. I still don't touch it very often and when you first start riding there's really no need to.

Your greatest danger (other than yourself over-cooking turns) is the left-hand turner coming at you, or someone entering your lane from a side road or entrance. Visibility is your greatest friend, so if you're not willing to ride in hi-viz with auxillary lighting, then do something that works against the human tendency to look through a single advancing point of light (you).

As you approach someone about to turn left, or sitting waiting to enter the traffic flow, wag back and forth in your lane. Side-to-side movement breaks up your single-point-of-light, and lateral movement is unnatural in traffic and will jump out of the pattern.

I've practiced this for years, and have never had someone pull out in front of me after doing it. I don't rely on it - I always cover my brake and have an exit strategy, but it's a free safety tactic that relies on proven science. Use it.

Learn how to really relax on the bike. Drop your elbows & grip the bike with your legs. The bars are for control inputs only. If you are using the bars for anything else such as weight support it will cause you to make unintended control inputs. Always look where you want to go & scan far ahead enough that you can give yourself options. Always leave yourself a way out. Panic reactions are rarely good ones. Take the MSF course.

• Upvote 1

was riding w/hellmutt and a car watched him go by then pulled out in front of me. I was watching the guy and he didn't even look at me so I knew it was going to happen. I was able to slow down in time.

When you can, ride with others. Safety is in numbers...make sure when on group rides you let them know you are new. There are a few great guys on here that was with me on my first group ride.

If you ever meet someone named Ringo punch him in the face.

Keep this in mind..It's not "Will i go down" it's going to be "When will i go down, and i hope its not too hard" the laws of gravity are alway against you

When you can, ride with others. Safety is in numbers...make sure when on group rides you let them know you are new. There are a few great guys on here that was with me on my first group ride.

There's dangers in numbers too - especially for a new rider who has not yet gotten comfortable and instinctive on his own ride. Following too close, trying to keep up, worrying about where you are in a group can all bite a new rider right in the ass...and the group ride reports from this site are a testament - lots of wrecks.

I would never suggest a new rider go on a group ride. I'd recommend getting very comfortable on your own or with one other rider who's hip to your skill level and can teach/watch you for a while before joining a group.

• Upvote 1