Change your own tire

grapesmuggler27

Found this on another site, so thought I would share

I get the distinct feeling that you guys are all DIYers. This is something I wrote up for a couple other forums to help some people out and to save a bit of money. It may not work for everyone, but it's worth a shot. I have confirmation that this has worked on a front tire as well.

DISMOUNT:

To break the bead all one needs is a long piece of 2x4 and a short piece of 2x4 and a point to lever the long piece off of...I use the bumper of my van as it's far enough off the ground to facilitate this. Step on the opposite side of the wood and push down with a little bit of force...and boom...bead is broken. This set up can also be permanently installed in a garage.

IMAG0227.jpg

To get the tire off I use these zip ties from Harbor Freight. One pack will do both dismount and mount for only $1.99:

http://www.harborfreight.com/24-inch-heavy-duty-cable-ties-10-pack-66487.html

Fish them through the bead like so...once through to the other side ou may need some needle nose pliers to get it out for the first couple, but after that they should all be really easy to fish through.

IMAG0216.jpg

IMAG0221.jpg

After the zip ties are all in place the tire will look like this:

IMAG0225.jpg

Just get some ass behind it and the tire will come off...dismount with no tools required. If you don't have the hand/arm strength to pull the tire off like this (because admittedly it was a little tough) a large screw driver or small 5 dollar tire iron will make life a bit easier. But I want to stress how easy and possible it is to do this without tools. Also, liberally spraying the area with tire lube or some soapy water will make the process MUCH easier...I didn't use enough in this video.

MOUNT:

To mount the tire you basically do the opposite of the dismount...I know that's simplifying it a bit, but it's not much different. Since I used 6 zip ties to get the tire off I wanted to see if I could use only 4 zip ties to put the new tire on so I arranged them in a cross and proceeded to put the tire on. I think it is much easier to do with 5 zip ties because only 4 leaves gaps in certain places where the beads should be touching. And like I say, be liberal with the windex/soapy water because it DOES make a difference in how easy the tire slides on.

Obviously, be careful with the rim edge and rotors. I was acting like a Neanderthal when doing this change.

I have tried it by hand a few times and ended up scratching the shit out of the rims and my knuckles. I never heard/used this zip tie method though. The 2x4 method wasn't that great for me, especially with a car instead of a truck/van

No thanks, I am quite done with the DIY thing when it comes to things like this. I have been frustrated way too much lately doing things myself and would rather pay someone and have it done right and a helluva lot quicker than I can do it(and with less blood).

Step 1: call pauly

Step 2: listen to conservo-hippie babble while he pampers your bike

Step 3: pay him enough for a case of expensive beer

Step 4: ride home happy on properly mounted and balanced tires, with no pain, and no blood missing

Edited by magley64
  • Upvote 1