Bike temperature question

Oneshot

I have a 2006 Honda CBR1000RR. The temperature run 180 or so at speed but when I slow to town speeds or just pull over the temp goes to 220-225. Is this normal And at what temperature should I become concerned? The water level is fine and the fan does come on.... Thanks!

Its normal. The temp should be about 180 riding. When stopped as said theres no air flow so the temp goes up. The fan will kick on about 220 if memory serves and keep your pretty steady. I've seen my past 2 CBR's get to 229, but never anymore then that.

Thanks a lot! I can breathe easier now.

Its normal. The temp should be about 180 riding. When stopped as said theres no air flow so the temp goes up. The fan will kick on about 220 if memory serves and keep your pretty steady. I've seen my past 2 CBR's get to 229, but never anymore then that.

When it gets to 275 it starts flashing and telling you shut the bike the hell off. I learned this last week :lol:

Below is great info from a personal friend of mine on the 600rr forum (Tenjin). Although it applies specifically to a 600rr...it can be assumed that it is likely the same for a 1000rr..hope this helps:

This data, as far as i can tell, applies for ALL years of the Honda 600RR

for imperial measurement (U.S.)

the temp gauge starts reading at 98f

the thermostat STARTS to open @ 176f

the thermostat should be fully open @ 183f

the fan turns on when the bike reaches 220f, and continue to operate until the bike is brought down to 200f

the fan will still operate if the motor is off, key in ignition, and ignition is on, and the bike temp is over 220f, and it will continue to still operate until the coolant in the system is brought down to 200f

operation of the bike to the 240 - 250F range is acceptable, how ever this is the range where you would want to find a safe place to park

Metric

the temp gauge starts reading at 36C

the thermostat STARTS to open @ 80C

the thermostat should be fully open @ 84C

the fan turns on when the bike reaches 104C, and continue to operate until the bike is brought down to 93C

the fan will still operate if the motor is off, key in ignition, and ignition is on, and the bike temp is over 104C, and it will continue to still operate until the coolant in the system is brought down to 93c

operation of the bike to the 115 - 221C range is acceptable, how ever this is the range where you would want to find a safe place to park

=-=-=-=

The standard mix of Coolant (ethylene glycol - with corrosion protection inhibitors) is a 50%/50% mix of cooland and distilled (soft) water

The radiator and engine contains 3.2 Liters (or 3.4 US Quarts)

the Reserve tank contains .3 Liters (or .32 quarts)

the radiator pressure limits are 108-137 kPa (or 16-20 PSI) .. note, this is the pressure range where coolant should be switching to the reserve tank as an over flow

the thermostat as from start to open to full open should have an 8mm lift (the valve moves 8mm from full closed, to full open)

to sum things up... any thing below 250F or 121ish C is NORMAL 250 is flat out the over heat point

it is not uncommon for the bikes to get to 240F or 115C

Hell and I thought 245 was hot what the hell were you doing?

The fan relay was dead and it was low on coolant. Tried to take it for the innaugural ride last Tuesday and this happened. I promptly threw my gloves and decided it had to go

The fan relay was dead and it was low on coolant. Tried to take it for the innaugural ride last Tuesday and this happened. I promptly threw my gloves and decided it had to go

Gotcha, that sucks when mine hit 245 I was sitting in rush hour traffic I just gotta rig up a switch for the fans. How ruff was the previous owner on that bike?

Gotcha, that sucks when mine hit 245 I was sitting in rush hour traffic I just gotta rig up a switch for the fans. How ruff was the previous owner on that bike?

It was low sided by the owner before the dude I bought it from. The dude I bought it from bailed his buddy out and bought it off him to fix. He seemed like a nice guy but complete squid. I knew it was gonna be a project but it was more than I bargained for so I said screw it. Thought its amazing what a $8 relay makes

I was gonna comment on my Duc also. I am around 220-240F at speed and normally see 260 when in traffic. I turned it off the one day 2 summers ago when I was stuck behind an accident on the highway and nobody was moving. Between the 90+ degree air temps and lack of airflow I hit 295F. :wtf: I know around 310 it starts to yell at you so there was no use testing the sensor out.

Ain't air cooled bikes awesome. :D

And yes those are oil temps. :p

Mines hit 245 sitting in traffic once still trying to find a way to cool it down faster. How can I make a switch to turn on my fans earlier?

All you have to do is jumper the termo fan switch on the radiator and in stall a manual switch. , just a little wiring job.

Fanswitchmod.jpg

here is a switch that fit on to my bar controls

SWITCHINSTALLED.jpg

Edited by 2talltim

All you have to do is jumper the termo fan switch on the radiator and in stall a manual switch. , just a little wiring job.

Fanswitchmod.jpg

here is a switch that fit on to my bar controls

SWITCHINSTALLED.jpg

Ok, this will still allow the fans to still turn on automatically.

Normal. I installed a switch so in slow traffic or when stopped, I can manually turn the fan on and keep the temp down.

How difficult is it to install the fan override switch you referred to? Honestly, I haven't tore into my bike at all. Not sure how mechanical friendly it is. Could you describe how to do this please??? Thanks!