Imput needed on bike repair.

2talltim

If you didnt already know my bike is f'ed up...here is ther thread http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=90912

Just went out to the shed, there is a puddle of coolant under the bike. The coolant is coming out of the impeller weep hole, the impact must have jarred a seal loose on the impeller shaft. I know insurance should cover it but now im getting worried about repair cost vs. having it totaled out. I want to keep a clear title and my bike only books for around $2800 and I figure pysical damage will be aournd $800-$900 with labor.I can do the seal my self for about $70 worth of parts ands supplies, but if they quote me too much with labor, im just worried. Someone told me if cost are 50% of value of the bike they may total it, and that makes it way too close.

What would you do?

are you asking if you should have the coolant problems be pointed out to the adjuster/MC shop for the repair quote?

I guess it depends on how attached you are to the bike. If you don't ever plan to sell it, then get it fixed or if totaled, buy it back and fix it as you can.

If you are not attached, then include it. If its repairable, then you got new parts and off you go. If it is totaled, then you just have to worry about if the check is enough for you to buy a comparable bike if you don't have additional funds to add to it.

You could just talked to the dealership and tell them if it becomes too high and close to totaled, I'd ask them to leave that off. I dunno if they'd do that though as I assume they'd have to warranty their work to the insurance company.

are you asking if you should have the coolant problems be pointed out to the adjuster/MC shop for the repair quote?

I guess it depends on how attached you are to the bike. If you don't ever plan to sell it, then get it fixed or if totaled, buy it back and fix it as you can.

If you are not attached, then include it. If its repairable, then you got new parts and off you go. If it is totaled, then you just have to worry about if the check is enough for you to buy a comparable bike if you don't have additional funds to add to it.

You could just talked to the dealership and tell them if it becomes too high and close to totaled, I'd ask them to leave that off. I dunno if they'd do that though as I assume they'd have to warranty their work to the insurance company.

Well there is no dealer , there will be an adjuster coming to the house and cutting me a check. As far as being attached to the bike, yea i am i will never sell it, but i still want to keep a clean title.

Sv1k has nothing on a TL IMO. Specially a 97 TLS. This is like a $3 repair and happens ALL the time to tl's. It normally the gasket on the screw that hold the impeller to the shaft. I have had 3 in 20,000 miles. Wish you lived closer being a fellow TL lover lol.

Sv1k has nothing on a TL IMO. Specially a 97 TLS. This is like a $3 repair and happens ALL the time to tl's. It normally the gasket on the screw that hold the impeller to the shaft. I have had 3 in 20,000 miles. Wish you lived closer being a fellow TL lover lol.

it didnt leak before the crash.. i figure if im going to tear into it ill replace all 3 seals that requires taking the engine cover off and ill need new coolant and oil unless i try to recoved whats in there since its all only got about 200 miles on it..or do you think i can get away with just doing the outside seal and only have to take the impeller cover off?

get outside seal and just impeller seal. If inner seal was bad oil would be dripping out of weep hole also.

i was thinking this too but some of the guys on tlzone and tlplanet recommend doing all three...ill have to ponder this i dont wanna have to do it twice

What would you do?

Consider this, are you SURE it is just seals, and not a crack in the block somewhere? Put everything on the claim. If that totals it go buy one exactly like it if it is what you want. If it doesn't total it and it turns out to be a crack later it will be on the insurance company instead of you eating it.

Consider this, are you SURE it is just seals, and not a crack in the block somewhere? Put everything on the claim. If that totals it go buy one exactly like it if it is what you want. If it doesn't total it and it turns out to be a crack later it will be on the insurance company instead of you eating it.

ive decided i am going to add the leak repair to the claim..i think it should still come in under a total loss price tag..its not the type of bike im interested in, it's just i'm just attached to this one all the blood sweat and tears, and miles we have shared

ive decided i am going to add the leak repair to the claim..i think it should still come in under a total loss price tag..its not the type of bike im interested in, it's just i'm just attached to this one all the blood sweat and tears, and miles we have shared

But if it is totalled for some reason that is unknown at this time that turns out to be a safety issue later do you really want to risk your well being putting it back on the road? Don't let your attachment to it hurt you later.

But if it is totalled for some reason that is unknown at this time that turns out to be a safety issue later do you really want to risk your well being putting it back on the road? Don't let your attachment to it hurt you later.

i dont think the bike is unsafe at all all the impact was taken by more or less a side swipe. the only reasom they would total it is if the repair price out weighs the value of the bike

Short story ...... my son had a car in his lane while riding in Tennessee 2 years ago. He went off the road and scrached several parts of his 08' CBR600RR. He had witnesses and GOPRO video of the car driviing recklessly seconds before he went off the road. He tried to get a police report but instead got himself a reward for having a altered license plate mount. We finished our vacation and my son contacted our state farm agent. When the adjuster came he had what looked like an ipad with all the parts and labor in it. When done it was over 1/2 the value (just a few scratches). The adjuster said you don't want this totaled do you? My son said hell no. The adjuster moved a few items like the scratched swingarm from replace to paint. He got it a few dollars under the totaled amount and few days later my son had a check for (I believe ) $3700. So I know adjusters will work with you.

I've got the same basic layout on my DL1000, I'd agree too that it's likely just the seal that's been knocked bad and it's not hard at all to repair.

I'd do the inner/outer bearing, mechanical seal and water pump gasket and check the impeller and shaft (for scoring) while you're in there. That will be cheap, unless the shaft is fucked (and I'd bet it's not).