back to the basics

Exarch

I dont have a huge interest in hitting the track, but with the classrooms and coaches and training skills its something ide.deff consider. But as far as just going there to play around like most people doesnt interest me, ide rather play on the roads anyday. I didnt buy my bike for the speed(obviously since its a 250) I actually decided to go with the.250 so I wouldnt have the ability to go stupid fast once I get comfortable. I know my car doesnt go fast, but ill push every bit of 120+ on the open roads like an idiot, but not to the extent where im gunna put myself or someone else in danger e.g. traffic, unfamiliar roads, kids in the car, bad weather and whatnot. I really dont have any intentions of taking my bike over 70mph, but.that could.change and if it does I know ill top out at 100ish.

Your prob right, I think I called it 325? I knew it was 3 something lol. Im not good with road names, I couldnt even give you directions on my daily work commute when I take the back roads :lol: hell I cant even name the street I get on every single day on my way home from any place, I just know its a 1 way.street and my wifes mom and both her grandmas live on :( and thats real sad cuz ive lived here for 6 years.

Im glad to hear that track day helped you out even with.that mich.experience on a bike. I hope when I decide to do it that I can get as.much.out.of it as you did.

I already can tell where you wrecked. Ft. Ancient between the hills on St. Rte. 350.

I grew up in Clinton county in the country and I know them and Warren county roads really well. I can see them all in my head if I sit here and think and see every turn. I even have experience on some in middle of the might with no lights on like a moron when I was a punk teenager in early 90's. That is where me and my buds will ride when we want familiar roads and to "wick" it up, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, definitely get the MSF course under your belt and take the NOVICE mid-ohio track day sometime during the week. The experience you gain is well worth the money. I left my track day with so much experience when I did it in 2006 that after 9 years of riding I still wouldn't have developed the skills they have taught me. KTM-BRIAN said it right.

Here is pictures from my track day in '06:

Got to meet the editor of Sportrider magazine..

KentKunitsuguandI.jpg

Greg White as well...

MeGregWhiteDennis.jpg

I think this girl was 12 and she was doing some CRAZY quick lap times..

12yroldracingphenom.jpg

My track toy '03 636...

2003636.jpg

That was a good day, and nice bike.

Yeah, the fort ancient curve is dangerous but we had a 4'10" girl do it on a CRF230 who'd only been riding 3 months. What is the big difference? She took the MSF class.

Like I said, there is a MSF return rider class offered on Saturdays (1 day class) 4 hours class time 4 hours range. Since you've been riding for a while you'll be fine in it and it's only $25 and you use their bikes. They can teach you the basics to practice to make you a safer rider.

Yeah, the fort ancient curve is dangerous but we had a 4'10" girl do it on a CRF230 who'd only been riding 3 months. What is the big difference? She took the MSF class.

Like I said, there is a MSF return rider class offered on Saturdays (1 day class) 4 hours class time 4 hours range. Since you've been riding for a while you'll be fine in it and it's only $25 and you use their bikes. They can teach you the basics to practice to make you a safer rider.

I could swing a 1 day class on sats since ide only.have to call off 1 job, but would I be able tobtake that over the 2 day course since I havent tooken the msf b4?

I dont have a huge interest in hitting the track, but with the classrooms and coaches and training skills its something ide.deff consider. But as far as just going there to play around like most people doesnt interest me, ide rather play on the roads anyday.

going to the track doesn't have to be about speed, and nothing prevents you from doing one trackday, and then never doing one again.

I had about 3 years of riding under my belt before i ever did a track day, and I learned more in that 1 day than the three years prior.

It's something i think literally every rider should do. The MSF course is great; but they don't have the facility to get you up to highway speeds.

Track days take the drama out of situations you encounter on the road. I've likened it to swinging two bats before going up to the plate with one. If you can negotiate turns at 50 mph at the track, doing so at 30 on the street is that much easier.

going to the track doesn't have to be about speed, and nothing prevents you from doing one trackday, and then never doing one again.

I had about 3 years of riding under my belt before i ever did a track day, and I learned more in that 1 day than the three years prior.

It's something i think literally every rider should do. The MSF course is great; but they don't have the facility to get you up to highway speeds.

Track days take the drama out of situations you encounter on the road. I've likened it to swinging two bats before going up to the plate with one. If you can negotiate turns at 50 mph at the track, doing so at 30 on the street is that much easier.

this is probably a stupid question, but.... is there an option to like rent a roll bar(not sure if.that is the.correct term I just call em training wheels lol) to prevent laydowns if you fuck up in the corners? Obviously its not gunna keep me on the road if I slip up, but atleast itd prevent me from rashing my bike up any more than it is and ide.rather look stupid with training wheels taking high speed turns than actually wreck the bike making a 50mph corner.

Most novice programs will give examples of how the drill for that session will cary over to the street. It's not a skill that only applies to one form of riding. I have seen everything from cruisers to sportbikes.

As for crashing, you ride your own pace as if you were on a street ride.

What Craig said. No, there aren't bike rentals (at most trackdays) or crash cages, because there is no reason to crash.

There is no need to ride any faster than you are comfortable with. Just because there isn't a speed limit sign telling you how fast you're supposed to go doesn't mean that you are required to go as fast or faster than you're able.

Yes, many people come to the track to go fast, but that's their choice, not a requirement.

Ahh, I just dont want to rush a turn cuz there is a bunch of people wanting to pass me if im going slow.and they try to pass me on the same line im going into. But ya I guees if I can try to make the same turn a little faster with.every lap thatd be cool with me.I just wouldnt rush into a turn without training wheels juet cuz everyone else makes it look easy cuz they got the experience. Ive seen alot of high speed wrecks on the tracks due to someone going too slow and the other guy is passing him and they both go for the same exact line coming out the turn. Im not sure how often it happens, but I just know it happens from the YouTube vids ive.watched.

I will never rush into anything im not confident doing, unless I have no choice(example: i hate hights, but have no choice but to fly or climb a ladder or get on a roof if I have to) but as far as something I can control if im not comfortable doing it period then I wont. Hell I got fired from 1 job for refusing to get on a ladder while it was sleeting outside, my hoss even knew i.fell off.that same ladder 5-6 times in the past cuz it has to sit on a steep hill. Hell everyone at that job has fallen off that ladder at one point or another and my boss was too scared to ever get on it and still fired me for refusing to get on it in the sleet.

So ya, idc what people expect or want me to do, I wont do it if I have the choice or dont feel safe, but if im going slow ill atleast have the.common sense to stay on the outside while people pass me up (God knows I cant stand slow.drivers in the left lane)

I already can tell where you wrecked. Ft. Ancient between the hills on St. Rte. 350.

I grew up in Clinton county in the country and I know them and Warren county roads really well. I can see them all in my head if I sit here and think and see every turn. I even have experience on some in middle of the might with no lights on like a moron when I was a punk teenager in early 90's. That is where me and my buds will ride when we want familiar roads and to "wick" it up, if you know what I mean.

Nick knows the roads thatll make you go WHHEEEEEEEE!

seriously...i know.

Ahh, I just dont want to rush a turn cuz there is a bunch of people wanting to pass me if im going slow.and they try to pass me on the same line im going into. But ya I guees if I can try to make the same turn a little faster with.every lap thatd be cool with me.I just wouldnt rush into a turn without training wheels juet cuz everyone else makes it look easy cuz they got the experience. Ive seen alot of high speed wrecks on the tracks due to someone going too slow and the other guy is passing him and they both go for the same exact line coming out the turn. Im not sure how often it happens, but I just know it happens from the YouTube vids ive.watched.

Why would you know or care that there are people behind you? You ride your ride. Your mirrors should be taped or removed anyway, and you definitely don't need to be turning around.

If they are faster, they will get by. on a 250, there is no reason they shouldn't be waiting until the straights to pass you. Unless i'm mistaken, passing in turns (definitely on the inside) isn't even allowed.

If someone else is that much faster than you, they won't be in novice group. And if they're "taking your line" or t-boning you in a turn, they weren't going to make the turn whether you were there or not. Yes, people do sometimes ride over their heads, but the instructors are good about nipping that in the bud right away.

At least at a trackday, another rider can be told "slow down, or you're out of here." Who is telling that to all the cars or other riders around you on the street?

Why would you know or care that there are people behind you? You ride your ride. Your mirrors should be taped or removed anyway, and you definitely don't need to be turning around.

If they are faster, they will get by. on a 250, there is no reason they shouldn't be waiting until the straights to pass you. Unless i'm mistaken, passing in turns (definitely on the inside) isn't even allowed.

If someone else is that much faster than you, they won't be in novice group. And if they're "taking your line" or t-boning you in a turn, they weren't going to make the turn whether you were there or not. Yes, people do sometimes ride over their heads, but the instructors are good about nipping that in the bud right away.

At least at a trackday, another rider can be told "slow down, or you're out of here." Who is telling that to all the cars or other riders around you on the street?

You make some very good points here, I have no clue on track rules, hell the track never even crossed my mind till yall mentioned the instructional value of doing a track day. I dont look at my mirrors in a turn ever and I sure as hell dont look behind myself in a turn.

Yeah, there is no passing in Novice, just groups based on speed. Group 1 flies at the end too. I think there is six groups and six is the slowest. .....but yeah, there is no passing, just learning and fun. MSF should be first though man. ;)

Well im glad everyone confirmed the no passing rule, especially cuz ide probably do some crazy ass line and get tboned my first few passes.

Nick knows the roads thatll make you go WHHEEEEEEEE!

seriously...i know.

Lol, I loved how you took off your helmet screaming "wooooo, that road was fast!"...lol. Big sweepers are fun but soooooo dangerous if you feeling frisky...:D .

I only do that road a few times a year because I have no self control on it. :lol:

It's in east Greene county on the edge.

Yeah, I'll never forget your celebration at McDonalds. :lol:

Eh, at least you didn't have the front end wash out at triple digit speeds - it kinda hurts when it happens at those speeds.

Learn from it, fix your bike, and get back on it ASAP!

Eh, at least you didn't have the front end wash out at triple digit speeds - it kinda hurts when it happens at those speeds.

Learn from it, fix your bike, and get back on it ASAP!

I bet, I was barley pushing double digits lol, was a lil sore when I tried to put my pants on this morning cuz I didnt even realize I rashed my si de lol. although some low speed wrecks can be more dangerous than a highspeed wreck. My bro wrecked at 15mph in full gear and still had to get careflighted. I suppose the 6ft drop onto a bunch of jagged rocks and then the bike landing on him may of had a factor in that though. :dunno:

Yup, thatd be where I wrecked.

Ok - I suckered you into answering -- that road on difficulty is a 10 out of 10 - even for experienced riders. The spot you when down is not a place to be fooling around. I'm guessing you missed the loose sand that accumulates at the bottom of the corner, and you hit the front brake and got spit off.

The experienced rider advise? Get another thousand miles or 2 before you go back. But if you have to, at the bottom of the hill you need to be in 1st gear, feather the rear brake, and stay wide in the corner. The hairpin drops elevation and will bite you. Just get through it.

I've lost count of how many crashes on that road I've seen or heard about. And I did do the mistake of taking a newbie though there. - Yeah, he wrecked. :eek:

Please take heed of what the experienced riders here are saying. Riding well takes time to build up the skills. Dont assume that you can instantly "get it."