back to the basics

Exarch

Did u sell your bike after ur 1st wreck, even after u took.the.course?? Im sure most people here have wrecked.that TOOK the course. I wrecked in a expert turn(from what im told.by everyone that knows.that turn) not a big deal, the turn was a lil.above my skill lvl and I know.that, not like I crashed in a newbie turn or on a straight. And I stated multiple times what I did.wrong(recognized my problem) I sliped a lil.and panicked then hit the breaks. Also I was in too high of a gear and didnt look into.the turn after I panicked. This has been established and verified multiple times here. I didnt need someone to tell.me what i.did.wrong cuz I know.what I did wrong. And I even stated I knew what to do, but basic instinct kicked in. taking.a.course will help, but its not gunna prevent basic instincts kicking in. I was going down regardless of.how much class time I did or didnt have. We all make mistakes, were only human.

Did u sell your bike after ur 1st wreck, even after u took.the.course?? Im sure most people here have wrecked.that TOOK the course. I wrecked in a expert turn(from what im told.by everyone that knows.that turn) not a big deal, the turn was a lil.above my skill lvl and I know.that, not like I crashed in a newbie turn or on a straight. And I stated multiple times what I did.wrong(recognized my problem) I sliped a lil.and panicked then hit the breaks. Also I was in too high of a gear and didnt look into.the turn after I panicked. This has been established and verified multiple times here. I didnt need someone to tell.me what i.did.wrong cuz I know.what I did wrong. And I even stated I knew what to do, but basic instinct kicked in. taking.a.course will help, but its not gunna prevent basic instincts kicking in. I was going down regardless of.how much class time I did or didnt have. We all make mistakes, were only human.

This is the issue; you DON'T know what you did wrong. There is no footage so no one can verify what you were doing wrong either, anything said is just a guess. Looking into the turn after you panic won't solve anything and being in too high of a gear won't cause you to "slip" anything. Everyone is trying to get you to take the course so you can figure out the physics of riding and what certain inputs do and what your respective action should be. Just because it is an "expert" turn doesn't exempt you from needing to seriously learn from the mistake. When I am riding, I consider going over the double yellow as bad as any crash and I need to personally re-examine what I did and take a step back. You are correct, people do crash after they take the course. The issue is that you do not have the knowledge to learn from the mistake so you are doomed to repeat it.

Please realize the severity of the issue. If you still don't want to take the course or learn what we are trying to tell you then fine, there is nothing any of us can do to help you beyond that. I do hope that you remain safe and the explosion of this thread was unwarranted. I would advise you, however, to just let this thread die and look into building your basic riding skills.

• Upvote 1

This is the issue; you DON'T know what you did wrong. There is no footage so no one can verify what you were doing wrong either, anything said is just a guess. Looking into the turn after you panic won't solve anything and being in too high of a gear won't cause you to "slip" anything. Everyone is trying to get you to take the course so you can figure out the physics of riding and what certain inputs do and what your respective action should be. Just because it is an "expert" turn doesn't exempt you from needing to seriously learn from the mistake. When I am riding, I consider going over the double yellow as bad as any crash and I need to personally re-examine what I did and take a step back. You are correct, people do crash after they take the course. The issue is that you do not have the knowledge to learn from the mistake so you are doomed to repeat it.

Please realize the severity of the issue. If you still don't want to take the course or learn what we are trying to tell you then fine, there is nothing any of us can do to help you beyond that. I do hope that you remain safe and the explosion of this thread was unwarranted. I would advise you, however, to just let this thread die and look into building your basic riding skills.

Well said. We'd all love to give you a magic answer but if it was that easy it would be for sale on i-tunes. ;)

Sometimes thats not easy to do as alot of people(from stories ive heard) confuse FEEL with SOUND and end up stalling cuz.they.can not hear.their bike(or even cage in some cases) especially when someone with a loud exhaust or blasting radio is right next to you.

why on earth would anyone go by sound :confused::confused::confused:

why on earth would anyone go by sound :confused::confused::confused:

Youd be surprised by how many actually do, especially HD(mostly ofbthe people telling me they stalled cuz they couldnt hear their bike werebHD riders) no offense to HD riders, these were newer riders(lless than 1y exp)

Youd be surprised by how many actually do, especially HD(mostly ofbthe people telling me they stalled cuz they couldnt hear their bike werebHD riders) no offense to HD riders, these were newer riders(lless than 1y exp)

granted I had issues with that in my first couple months of riding but once I figured out the trick it was pretty easy

your.right, im not 100% aware of.what I did, no one is. But I am aware ofa some of.the.factors.involved. Said it 2000 times gunna take the msf when I get.the.time..

granted I had issues with that in my first couple months of riding but once I figured out the trick it was pretty easy

You figured it out because you dont just regurgitate shit you read/heard somewhere like he does.

My damn VFR guy takes forever to respond.... :cry:

You figured it out because you dont just regurgitate shit you read/heard somewhere like he does.

My damn VFR guy takes forever to respond.... :cry:

that son of a B...you need that thing asap

I really hope so. :bow: Ill be buying some beers at the Gap for ya if its everything you say... If you can hang that is :D

oh I'm sure I'll be the slowest of our group minus the bear on a VROD down 28 :D

oh I'm sure I'll be the slowest of our group minus the bear on a VROD down 28 :D

Your a better than you give yourself credit for.

Who is leading our bunch anyways? IP? Its coming up quick and I cant wait.

oh and I meant hang drinking wise ;)

Your a better than you give yourself credit for.

Who is leading our bunch anyways? IP? Its coming up quick and I cant wait.

oh and I meant hang drinking wise ;)

I like playing the "I'm slow" card and people being surprised that I'm not as slow as perceived. He may with a small group. Me leading is never a good idea however

back in my prime I could hang no problem, I've gotten old and lame the last few years and hangovers are awful. I shall party saturday night but probably not thurs or fri too hard

your.right, im not 100% aware of.what I did, no one is. But I am aware ofa some of.the.factors.involved. Said it 2000 times gunna take the msf when I get.the.time..

Be warned, the MSF class isn't something you normally can decide you're going to take the day before. They fill up be the middle of April sometimes. I mean all of them.:o

Currently all classes in Greene County are full till 7-19-12. https://www.dps.state.oh.us/MOScheduling/Registration_Start.aspx?strCounty=29

Just cracks me up the second hand info you are using to back up other second hand info. Not trying to be mean, though I'm sure it seems that way. Just experience talking I guess. Easy to forget what it was like learning the bike and only thinking about the fun it promised to be. Glad you're okay and the bike is repairable, first lesson survived. :D

I'm surprised none of your new buddies have offered to meet you at a local high school or empty parking lot this weekend to help you work on some skills. If this is the case let me know. I can meet with you Sunday in Xenia and we can turn some of that interweb skill into riding skill. Not going to say you'll ride away ready to carve up 555 but you'll have some firm basics to build on instead of interweb hear say and second guessing ;)

Be warned, the MSF class isn't something you normally can decide you're going to take the day before. They fill up be the middle of April sometimes. I mean all of them.:o

Currently all classes in Greene County are full till 7-19-12. https://www.dps.state.oh.us/MOScheduling/Registration_Start.aspx?strCounty=29

Just cracks me up the second hand info you are using to back up other second hand info. Not trying to be mean, though I'm sure it seems that way. Just experience talking I guess. Easy to forget what it was like learning the bike and only thinking about the fun it promised to be. Glad you're okay and the bike is repairable, first lesson survived. :D

I'm surprised none of your new buddies have offered to meet you at a local high school or empty parking lot this weekend to help you work on some skills. If this is the case let me know. I can meet with you Sunday in Xenia and we can turn some of that interweb skill into riding skill. Not going to say you'll ride away ready to carve up 555 but you'll have some firm basics to build on instead of interweb hear say and second guessing ;)

I work almost 24/7 would take you up on your offer, and ive had offers, just none.fit.my. Work.schedule unfortunately. Saturdays(hopefully since.i.talked.to.my boss will be my offical 1 day off per week now instead of workin 7 days a week) should be good for me from now on to do things and practice.

It was by no means an "expert" turn.

I give up. You know all about it, seems to be the same damn thing as semi truck driving and you are arguing push vs pulling.

And, now all of a sudden he knows what the fuck he did wrong. JESUS!! Where's the face palm icon?

Fuck.

I give up.

Good luck. When you wad that shit up, shoot me a PM so I can buy it from the insurance company for my 12 year old that is more ready to ride than you.

Before I go, make sure you try using the clutch to power out of turns. You wanna slip while revving the motor so you can "squirt" out of the turns - especially 10mph hairpins. Allows the motor to never drop RPM and when she bites on exit, she's at full tilt and ready to eat!!

Out.

It was by no means an "expert" turn.

I give up. You know all about it, seems to be the same damn thing as semi truck driving and you are arguing push vs pulling.

And, now all of a sudden he knows what the fuck he did wrong. JESUS!! Where's the face palm icon?

Fuck.

I give up.

Good luck. When you wad that shit up, shoot me a PM so I can buy it from the insurance company for my 12 year old that is more ready to ride than you.

Before I go, make sure you try using the clutch to power out of turns. You wanna slip while revving the motor so you can "squirt" out of the turns - especially 10mph hairpins. Allows the motor to never drop RPM and when she bites on exit, she's at full tilt and ready to eat!!

Out.

That's a tough area for someone who's not logged many miles. I kinda wish the guys you were riding with would have looked out alittle better and not taken you there yet!

Ok - I suckered you into answering -- that road on difficulty is a 10 out of 10 - even for experienced riders. The spot you when down is not a place to be fooling around. I'm guessing you missed the loose sand that accumulates at the bottom of the corner, and you hit the front brake and got spit off.

The experienced rider advise? Get another thousand miles or 2 before you go back. But if you have to, at the bottom of the hill you need to be in 1st gear, feather the rear brake, and stay wide in the corner. The hairpin drops elevation and will bite you. Just get through it.

I've lost count of how many crashes on that road I've seen or heard about. And I did do the mistake of taking a newbie though there. - Yeah, he wrecked. :eek:

Please take heed of what the experienced riders here are saying. Riding well takes time to build up the skills. Dont assume that you can instantly "get it."

Exarch - you wrecked at the hairpin at the bottom of the hill at RT350 around the Ft Ancient loop? - That's one nasty road. Its a newbie rider crash magnet.

again, I wrecked in an area on unfamiliar roads in a sharp turn that was not newbie. ... Shit happens again im not mad bout the wreck and if I had an option to go back and not do that ride I would of still done it. It was a minor slide, not the end of the world. I didnt freak out about it, didnt expect people here to freak out either. Sure I need msf/practice ans whatnot, but you.missed the point of the entire thread o.O I crashed in a month and got my bike fixed up now, didnt quit over 1 lil spill. No biggie and I can promise you I do just fine riding around the city, which im familier with, which ive known for years.

again, I wrecked in an area on unfamiliar roads in a sharp turn that was not newbie. ... Shit happens again im not mad bout the wreck and if I had an option to go back and not do that ride I would of still done it. It was a minor slide, not the end of the world. I didnt freak out about it, didnt expect people here to freak out either. Sure I need msf/practice ans whatnot, but you.missed the point of the entire thread o.O I crashed in a month and got my bike fixed up now, didnt quit over 1 lil spill. No biggie and I can promise you I do just fine riding around the city, which im familier with, which ive known for years.

Here's what's up the guys on here are worried by you ignorance. All you've done is show you have no clue about riding. Everyone is trying to decifer what your talking about and give you advice so the next time won't be worse. You think you know more than you actually do and that's where it gets dangerous. We don't won't you to get fucked up that's why everyone is trying to give you advice but its seeming pointless. If you've ever been tasked with training a new person at work you may know how this feels to us. You get the new guy and start telling him the things you've learned through years of experience and they continue to say "i know". At first you think this guys pretty squared away then after awhile you realize they think they know more and aren't listening to what your saying. Your next wreck is going to be worse get yourself educated or stay off the bike. Please we really hate hearing about riders who get hurt.

• Upvote 1

:bow: What he said, some of the people that posted here probably have rode in situations that most of us will never even experience, with KTMBrian, you have someone who works in the industry for one of the baller companies, and has been i nthe game for a lonnnng time. No offense there buddy, you ain't that old.

You have others who have rode any road they can find that sounds or looks fun, and have walked away from it without going down.

Some of us just put ourselves in crazy situations all the time and learn from them, but we have the experience to do so.

Another way to look at it is like a little brother, no idea how old you are etc, but 600 miles or whatever, isn't much at all for experience and we want to share our knowledge and expierence with you.

Just be safe out there.