back to the basics

Exarch

Just wondering if you tried to turn the handle bars left through the corner because you thought you were going slow enough or something, and counter steering took over?????

-VanDy

I dont remember counter steering in the turn, unless I did.it unintentionally cuz I really tightened my grip up before I crashed, but I didnt turn the bar. Could that of caused the bike to not turn naturally? I know its not good to have a tight grip(and very fatiguing aswell) I normally try to.keep my hands relaxed on the bar(although during wind blasts I put on the death grip)

I just lean my body(which puts pressure on the bar from what ive seen from videos) I dont physically push on the bar or turn the bar at all. The only time I even use the bar itself is when I turn it slightly to make a u turn.

I am aware in reality though that im pusing on the bar(without thinking about or noticing it) I believe it was twist.of the wrist.2 that shows the body shift method with and without a bar lock.

Take the MSF course. Watch the video again & pay attention this time. What you said doesn't really reflect what Kieth Code says. Practice doesn't do any good if you don't understand the principles. That is all.

This is where I hope some of the more experienced riders chip in and keep me honest....

Body lean will not make the bike turn significantly through a turn at all... Counter steering does, as Keith code says counter steering always works....

You "turn" the bar to the left the bike leans right and the front tire the. Steers into the turn, need more lean? Counter steer again. Seriously rewatch the idea.. I broke it up into sections and practices one part at a time...

-VanDy

You have to use the bars, you will not get a bike to turn any other way. Moving your body will get a small result but you must put input into the bars. If you don't know if you do, you better focus on this.

I move my entire body, which in turn moves the bar? I heard it isnt a good idea to move.the bar left/right just up/down :dunno:

This is where I hope some of the more experienced riders chip in and keep me honest....

Body lean will not make the bike turn significantly through a turn at all... Counter steering does, as Keith code says counter steering always works....

You "turn" the bar to the left the bike leans right and the front tire the. Steers into the turn, need more lean? Counter steer again. Seriously rewatch the idea.. I broke it up into sections and practices one part at a time...

-VanDy

Ill watch it again, my method(which I thought was in the vid,, which I guess I misunderstood) has worked in every corner except 1 so far.

Here is what I got from that segment of video the fist time - leaning it self doesnt do shit, there is almost no point in leaning, its a mental game. You see the bike turn when you lean, but its not due to the lean, its due to the fact that you are lifting up on the bar when you shift your body.(I like to think of it as pushing down)

I move my entire body, which in turn moves the bar? I heard it isnt a good idea to move.the bar left/right just up/down :dunno:

You in fact did not watch the twist 2 video at all then...

I think I read earlier that you learned not to break in snow while in the cage only took you 2 or 3 times? You may not have 2 or 3 times on a bike... If you ABSOLUTELY NO WAY OR HOW, make a MSF course work then learn to read, read twot2, and watch the video seriously.....

I'm starting to think troll???

-VanDy

You better watch Keith code again. Moving your body does nothing. You 100% must turn the bars in the opposite direction of turning. This is taught in every class I have been in. It's the only way to get the bike to turn. The bars shouldn't move from you moving your body, if they are your too stiff. You should be able to flap your arms like ringo aka chicken without the bars moving. Anyway you have to steer the bike.

You better watch Keith code again. Moving your body does nothing. You 100% must turn the bars in the opposite direction of turning. This is taught in every class I have been in. It's the only way to get the bike to turn. The bars shouldn't move from you moving your body, if they are your too stiff. You should be able to flap your arms like ringo aka chicken without the bars moving. Anyway you have to steer the bike.

Who needs Keith code? We have Keith Stone!

-VanDy

msf class taught us to push right to go left. In other words push on the handle bar on the right to go left and push on the left side to go right.

I think you mean "push left go left"

Push left (turning handle bars to the right) increases lean (and turn) to the left

-VanDy

You in fact did not watch the twist 2 video at all then...

your right, I didnt, I never had sex either, infact I dont own a bike :rolleyes:

I think I read earlier that you learned not to break in snow while in the cage only took you 2 or 3 times? yes to break the natural instinct of hitting the break in an emergency

[/You may not have 2 or 3 times on a bike... If you ABSOLUTELY NO WAY OR HOW, make a MSF course work then learn to read, read twot2, and watch the video seriously.....

may have missed the counter steering part since I was watching it at work and had to step away from the phone a handful of times

I'm starting to think troll???

your right, ive been riding for 10 years and made up this thread so I can just argue and ignore any advice posted :rolleyes:

-VanDy

:)

Edited by Exarch

Hopefully KTM-Brian helps this all make sense. I think he's the best at explaining it.

-VanDy

Well, im gunna watch the vid AGAIN and then practice counter steering. I get the concept(the cars movie when he is on a dirt road :lol:) but I just never tried it. I also saw the counter steering on captin.crash 60 sec lesson and that just confused the shit outta me. Once I try it it will make more sense to me, but its not something ide think about doing in the heat of the moment(yet)

Well, im gunna watch the vid AGAIN and then practice counter steering. I get the concept(the cars movie when he is on a dirt road :lol:) but I just never tried it. I also saw the counter steering on captin.crash 60 sec lesson and that just confused the shit outta me. Once I try it it will make more sense to me, but its not something ide think about doing in the heat of the moment(yet)

Cars movie is totally different! Lol but nice reference, I mean no thank you! Because is opposite land that means thank you!

-VanDy

I think you mean "push left go left"

Push left (turning handle bars to the right) increases lean (and turn) to the left

-VanDy

Sorry your right I was in a car (not driving) when I was typing and trying to remember.:o

Must... resist... commenting...

Why oh why are we talking about counter steering and the OP is telling us stuff that is so far beyond what should be done and yet... We sit here and keep going and going and going...

Bottom line - DO NOT think about counter steering. DO NOT. That ended with NOT.

You counter steered as a kid on your bicycle. It's how you turn a two wheeled machine or bike. You did it, do it and really, the LAST thing you need is to be thinking about it. DO NOT!!!

Take a God damn course, bro. Please. Stop posting responses here, let the thread die and get educated. Period.

600 plus miles and you are talking like someone that hasn't ever thrown a leg over a bike. You really need serious help. Serious.

Counter steer 101 real quick... You push the left bar away from you, you turn RIGHT. You push the right bar, you turn LEFT. COUNTER is the key word...

Also, when at full lean, if you remotely start "thinking" about what to do, you are going to wad your shit up yet again. But, the fact is that you can see the results of counter steer in cool race shots.

Watch the bike come out of a turn. Which way does the front wheel turn when they are doing a power wheelie? It is counter from the direction they were going. Coming out of a left hander, the wheel is pointing right.

Again, this is something I HATE TO NO END when riders like the OP that have literally less ability than most the younger kids I watch ride and yet, we are preaching some seriously advanced things to be thinking about. STOP READING TWIST OF THE WRIST II. There are great things that are basic and truly something more advanced riders can and probably should read and watch. BUT, SOMEONE NEW DOES NOT NEED TO READ THIS STUFF!!!

You have way too much to process and reading and then trying to apply when you are riding is really dumb.

• Upvote 1

Wtf is the difference between pushing right and pulling left then? Fuck I can pull left, just sounds ackward pushing right.... if pushing right to.go.left and pulling left to go left is not.the same.thing.than im.confused as.fuck... If its the same thing than shit, thats obvious, but from the way its worded.... this is tomato tamato shit... Same thing different pronunciation... I never thought of it like that, I was thinking yall ment like in cars(turn left to go right which doesnt make a lick of sense) cuz of course if I turn right ima go right and vice versa...

And like.kmt said I dont even think about it, the shit just happens. Just like shifting in a car, I dont thin about it I just do it. Or when you zone out in a car and go 10 miles past ur exit and dont even know how u got there, but.you managed to stay in your lane the entire time and not go.straight in a.curve...

Btw, turning left to go right in a tractior/trailr(reverse) if thats the kind of countersteering ur refering to? But I doubt it since you cant.jack knife a bike.:lol: ive been driving semis for 7 years, so when I think.of countersteering i.think of.turning my wheel to make my to make my trailer go.the opposite direction... But even that concept I never think about since it comes.naturally...

Are we still trying to get this guy a motorcycle online masters degree? :lol:

Someone go steal the tires off his ninja before he wads it up trying to back out of the garage by inverted steering technique he read about online. :)

• Upvote 1

Just take the day off work or whatever you need to do and take the course or sell the bike. You don't want to take the day off because of the $320 you would lose. Well think about how much you will lose if you can't work and have thousands in medical bills from wadding it up