3 Ohio OVI = lose your ride

ReconRat

Don't worry, the black box recorder device will be installed in every new vehicle starting 2015.

Don't believe me? It's through the Senate, just needs to be rubber stamped by the House.

MAP-21 is what it's euphemistically named.

*** edit: For the lazy, look in Subtitle D, section 31406...

Oh, and just execute any repeat offenders, no need for gadgets and stuff.

:trolldad:

Edited by jblosser

Danger is the spice of life and not all danger is within our own control. Why is it that people think being born human means bad things arn't alowed to happen to them? Look at how cruel nature is.. how often do you see a wild animal dieing from complications of old age?

If "drunk driving" is deemed so bad then why arn't repeat offenders imprisoned? that's what confuses me

Edited by DrewsBrews

Good. I'm glad they took it. My stupid cousin went out on St. Patty's day and picked up some chick in a bar. On the way home he rolled the car and killed the girl. Looking at 14 years for vehicle homicide plus other charges. The worst part is he already had 5 ovi. :mad:

Which county was the crash in?

Don't worry, the black box recorder device will be installed in every new vehicle starting 2015.

That same bill declares that the data contained in the Event Data Recorder belongs to the vehicle owner or lessee, but is subject to court subpoena in the event of a medical event or fatal accident investigation.

Oh, and 64% of 2005 model year cars have them already.

Senate Passes Bill Requiring "Black Boxes" for New Cars in 2015, But Many Cars Already Have One

All cars made by General Motors, Ford, Isuzu, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Subaru and Suzuki came equipped with EDRs.

...but is subject to court subpoena in the event of a medical event or fatal accident investigation.

This is a somewhat important part, since initially data was sometimes retrieved without consent. Haven't heard of that being done lately.

Oh, and motorcycles don't have a black box, yet. The most recorded is like warranty voids. Such as top speed obtained, but not when, who, or where.

I rode in a car with the breathylizer in it, it would randomly start beeping every 10-15 minutes, requiring a new reading to delay an automatic shut down.

While driving? Or do you have to pull over?

It would be unsafe if you have to pull over on a freeway. I'd say the interlock should only request a retest if one of the doors opens.

Edited by Scruit

This is a somewhat important part, since initially data was sometimes retrieved without consent. Haven't heard of that being done lately.

Oh, and motorcycles don't have a black box, yet. The most recorded is like warranty voids. Such as top speed obtained, but not when, who, or where.

There was a case in Dublin a few months back where the black box data from one car was obtained after a crash where high speed was suspected as a major factor and there was a vehicle occupant that suffered life-threatening injuries. The police report stated that the EDR was downloaded pursuant to a court subpoena.

Alot of things the law requires is stupid, if they can make self driving cars than why not.this? The shut off would work more/less like the breathalyzer and I know the theory has a couple flaws, but there are ways.around this. This is 100% possible if someone put the time into it. WE CAN reduce bad choices drivers make like eating, reading, talking, texting, drinking(alcohol) and whatnot. People will still have enough time to.take a quick drink or smoke a cig(just cant hang hand out the windown)

I know most people like to hang a arm out the window, maybe that could be one of the sensor places, but as redicilous as you may think this sounds its not impossible and could save lives, now as far as convenience goes thats another story...

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

And this os about gun control but still relevant:

To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow... For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding.

The issue is that we don't hold people accountable for their actions. We allow excuses and have become so soft that people don't learn from their mistakes. We allow people to get off nearly scott free and so they do it again and again. Then they pass this off to their kids and the kids grow up learning that is not their fault but everyone else's.

• Upvote 2

And this os about gun control but still relevant:

The issue is that we don't hold people accountable for their actions. We allow excuses and have become so soft that people don't learn from their mistakes. We allow people to get off nearly scott free and so they do it again and again. Then they pass this off to their kids and the kids grow up learning that is not their fault but everyone else's.

I could kiss you right now.

While driving? Or do you have to pull over?

It would be unsafe if you have to pull over on a freeway. I'd say the interlock should only request a retest if one of the doors opens.

While underway if necessary, the device looks like a CB radio...

Detector is on a cord just like the microphone.

IID.jpg

While underway if necessary, the device looks like a CB radio...

Detector is on a cord just like the microphone.

IID.jpg

If they passed a uk-style "No interactiing with handheld electonic devices" law here (rather than simply a texting/talking ban) then the interlock would become illegal.

Thats it? Max of 14 years for ALL his charges COMBINED?(if he even got the max) that doesnt seem right to me at all, 14 years is nothing for shit like that.

I had already assumed it was Hamilton County and checked the state crash report database for fatal accidents on St.P's day. Didn't find it. The state must not be done with the investigation.

Thats it? Max of 14 years for ALL his charges COMBINED?(if he even got the max) that doesnt seem right to me at all, 14 years is nothing for shit like that.

One of the comments on the news report is "This could easily happen to you."

Well, I have to say that 11 outstanding warrants a 5 prior DUI's does not "easily happen" to anyone. You gotta WORK at being that much of a loser. :nono:

If they passed a uk-style "No interactiing with handheld electonic devices" law here (rather than simply a texting/talking ban) then the interlock would become illegal.

possible, but it works the same as a CB radio, are those banned in the UK as well?

One of the comments on the news report is "This could easily happen to you."

Well, I have to say that 11 outstanding warrants a 5 prior DUI's does not "easily happen" to anyone. You gotta WORK at being that much of a loser. :nono:

Yup, its easy to get a dui(especially if you dont even feel tipsy or only drank 2beers and blow.just over) but ya, what he did is NOT easy to do. MOST people learn their lesson after 1 offense, 2 tops, the rest are just idiots. Now as far as killing someone in a car? Ya that CAN happen to anyone, but odds of it happening to an alert driver are pretty damn slim. And by alert I dont mean just intoxicated, I mean not on a cellphone/texting/reading or having any other distractions.

New data for Ohio is showing motorcycle crashes over the last five years run a high percentage of riders with alcohol in their system. Not drunk necessarily, but some had been drinking and under the limit. And on a bike that counts toward bad skill level, particularly at night. (How would I know that.)

It's high, like around 50%. So by using absolutely invalid reverse logic statistics, not drinking cuts the odds in half of crashing.

Ok, imaginary... but still...

Her response... CBs are hardly used any more in the UK. Even if they are not covered by the handheld electronics ban there is a catch-all offense of "not being in full control of the vehicle" that is used when people do stupid things that are not individually illegal - such as eating/drinking. In that case it's a judgement call as to whether the action compromised control of the car. If you take a 6 or 7 second swig from a coffee cup in heavy traffic then you're gonna get grief for that. Any time you tie up an arm for longer than it takes to hit a button on the dashboard you're at risk of the "full control" ticket.

I'm not aware that the interlock device is used in the UK - however if it WAS installed and takes you more than a couple of seconds to provide the sample then it would be illegal - not because it is electronic, but because it ties up an arm.

I think the government needs to get out of people's lives and parents need to get back into them. Too many parent's don't punish their kids, don't teach them respect, don't teach them right from wrong, and give them everything they want. These kids grow up thinking they are the most important beings in the world and no one else matters. Furthermore, they believe there are no repercussions to their actions; no consequences when they do something wrong. That is the problem. Stop expecting the government to magically fix all your problems.

• Upvote 1