Bike dies when put in gear

natedogg624

Diagnostics show kickstand "up" - wires jumped

Clutch engaged - wires jumped

Bike starts in neutral, kick it in to gear and dies.

I've researched around and looks like it's a faulty kickstand relay or starter relay.

Any thoughts or ideas? Pretty frustrating to say the least.

Diagnostics show kickstand "up" - wires jumped

Clutch engaged - wires jumped

Bike starts in neutral, kick it in to gear and dies.

I've researched around and looks like it's a faulty kickstand relay or starter relay.

Any thoughts or ideas? Pretty frustrating to say the least.

Yeah, kick relay. You may be able to clean the contacts but I just removed mine and crossed the wires. So now I can drive off with the stand down. :rolleyes:

Yeah, kick relay. You may be able to clean the contacts but I just removed mine and crossed the wires. So now I can drive off with the stand down. :rolleyes:

Bad idea. First left will screw you pretty good if the stand is down.

i've had a few idiot moments, not even knowing my stand was down. the bike let me know. i'd try to fix it and retain sensor functionality if i were you... but you're probably less scatter-brained as me.

track bike, no kickstand :)

he said the switch is bypassed. and the diagnostic mode shows the kickstand is up.

on a yamaha we have a built in diagnostic scan tool we can use to test all of the circuits of the bike. no other manufacture does this. so we're very privelaged.

you pretty much covered the only 2 things that kills it. so I have no guesses other than a open wire somewhere. a buddy of mine had a cut wire inside the plastic sleeve. you couldn't tell anything touched it there but I cut it open and there it was. cut right in half like someone used a pair of snips.

no, no response from the bike with clutch in, gear selected.

if i open the bridge, then it throws a code 19 (sidestand switch). Diag with the code thrown shows kickstand down with no change in the kickstand bridge.

Edited by natedogg624