new less restrictive laws passed

Exarch

http://thenewpolitical.com/2012/04/30/controversy-spurred-over-less-strict-ohio-gun-laws/

I am not 100% if all of these passed, there should be something on the news tonight about this though. I couldn't find anything else online otherwise I would have posted more links.

I predict alot more 'neglect discharges' though depending on how this pans out. I don't see how they can even begin to think about getting rid of mandatory classes, thats a huge safety issue.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why do you think there will be an increase in accidental discharges? And how does the government making me take a class on safety gonna make me a safer gun owner? Training, and more training will make you a safer gun owner not the 12 hour class that they make you take. If they cared about the safety of the people They would mandate a course. right now they have no set class that must be taught. There is no guideline for what is to be taught at the class. And also no requirement as to how the shooting portion of the test must be done. I have heard of people who had to hit a 10 inch paper plate 5/10 shots from 10 feet with a .22 to pass their test. Does that make you feel safe? With that kind of training, we might be better off not having a test and just a background check like when you buy a firearm.

• Upvote 1

A girl in my class failed to hit the plate with a Walter .380 so many times we all left the range because we passed on the first go and fealt awkward. She eventually passed using the instructors .22 target pistol with a fucking scope.

I agree 10000%. I also believe in mandating that training should be mandated mandatorily prior to the populace exercising other protected rights. For example.... we should require mandatory passing of the third fucking grade prior to exercising one's 1st amendment protections. Far fewer grammEr issues on public forums. People truly are not smart enough to have the bill of rights without some sort of government intervention. That's what's it's there for, right? Permission?

• Upvote 2

I agree 10000%. I also believe in mandating that training should be mandated mandatorily prior to the populace exercising other protected rights. For example.... we should require mandatory passing of the third fucking grade prior to exercising one's 1st amendment protections. Far fewer grammEr issues on public forums. People truly are not smart enough to have the bill of rights without some sort of government intervention. That's what's it's there for, right? Permission?

Brilliant!

Why do you think there will be an increase in accidental discharges?...

Not to disagree with my friend Speedy, but there very, very few 'accidental' discharges. Plenty of 'negligent' ones, though.

;)

Even if I'm not carrying (rare) or the law passes that I don't need to notify, I will still notify any officer I happen to come in contact with as to my armed or not status. I'm sure they do/will appreciate it - their job's tough enough without wondering if I'm armed.

This thread's title "New less restrictive laws passed" is incorrect - the proposed amendments to existing laws have not yet passed.

Also, the article's title, "Controversy Spurred Over Less Strict Ohio Gun Laws" is misleading for the same reason, and the article itself fails to cite any controversy (except what might be in writer's head) whatsoever.

The only person quoted in the article was the Athens County Sheriff, and he had nothing bad (from a Pro 2A stance) to say.

Disingenuous thread title and article.

I never took the class, I probably will eventually, oh wait I won't have to now :lol:

I didn't realize the class was a joke in the first place, that's a pitty. The only 'weapons class' I took was in the military, which is part of the mandatory training(optional in some cases). In the military safety is above all else though.

I would think people would have the common sense and know how to safely handle a gun, but unfortunately that is not the case.

http://thenewpolitical.com/2012/04/30/controversy-spurred-over-less-strict-ohio-gun-laws/

I am not 100% if all of these passed, there should be something on the news tonight about this though. I couldn't find anything else online otherwise I would have posted more links.

I predict alot more 'neglect discharges' though depending on how this pans out. I don't see how they can even begin to think about getting rid of mandatory classes, thats a huge safety issue.

I never took the class, I probably will eventually, oh wait I won't have to now :lol:

I didn't realize the class was a joke in the first place, that's a pitty. The only 'weapons class' I took was in the military, which is part of the mandatory training(optional in some cases). In the military safety is above all else though.

I would think people would have the common sense and know how to safely handle a gun, but unfortunately that is not the case.

Who.fukin.tiped, those 4.u?

I didn't think you were interested in owning or carrying firearms. :dunno:

Maybe the should require a reading and writing competency test. Perhaps a test on slander, libel, and other potential crimes surround the 1st amendment.

Why can't you keep your ignorance to yourself?

It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

• Upvote 1

The class is not a joke. The joke are the guys giving it half ass and just doing it to make a buck. The class I took, with alot of people here, was an absolute sham compared to what a real class taught by a knowledgable, conscientious instructor should be.

Then again YOU are the one who needs to pour yourself into the material.

The class is just to satisfy requirements laid out by the State. IMHO it comes no where close to what is needed to prepare yourself for an incident.

What "military" do you constantly refer to Exarch?

• Upvote 1

When I received my ccw the sherriffs office said you don't have to "pass" you have to show you can operate a gun safely. I was shocked you don't have to pass anything its up to the instructor

The class is not a joke. The joke are the guys giving it half ass and just doing it to make a buck. The class I took, with alot of people here, was an absolute sham compared to what a real class taught by a knowledgable, conscientious instructor should be.

Then again YOU are the one who needs to pour yourself into the material.

The class is just to satisfy requirements laid out by the State. IMHO it comes no where close to what is needed to prepare yourself for an incident.

What "military" do you constantly refer to Exarch?

I was army, but pretty much any branch. Safety is a huge factor in handling weapons due to the fact that they will take any average Joe off the street, granted they somewhat meet the requirements. Therefore, this is the only thing I can base my views on.

As far as the classes being a joke, that is just here say(from this thread, including yourself) I'm sure some instructors do give a shit about safety, but it's a real shame all of them don't. Maybe there should be a stricter requirement to be come an instructor?

I don't plan on owning a pistol, but that doesn't mean I don't plan on owning a shotgun or some other kind of weapon down the road. I've stated that I like going to the range, but for now I just use my other peoples weapons.

Been thinking about going for the CCW --- So, for CCW classes, there is no mandated set requirements or standards, it is up to the "instructors" for how the class goes? How are "instuctors" permitted to teach a class?

Been thinking about going for the CCW --- So, for CCW classes, there is no mandated set requirements or standards, it is up to the "instructors" for how the class goes? How are "instuctors" permitted to teach a class?

class is required to be 12 hours I believe. Most seem to be NRA basic pistol instructors from what I have seen, but just like anything else some are in it for the money.

My best advice without knowing the instructors is to ask if they teach the "NRA Basic Pistol Course". I wouldn't suggest anywhere that did not.

It's not a huge safety issue in the myriad of states without mandatory classes - hell Vermont has total unrestricted carry.

Don't feel about an issue, think. Study the statistics and then you'll know instead of fear the worst.

It's not a huge safety issue in the myriad of states without mandatory classes - hell Vermont has total unrestricted carry.

Don't feel about an issue, think. Study the statistics and then you'll know instead of fear the worst.

I think your wrong here...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/general-firearm-discussion/85144-negligent-discharge-may-not-appropriate-you-think.html

http://ricks.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/05/13/negligent_discharges_one_subject_the_military_really_doesnt_like_to_talk_about

http://negligentdischarge.com/

Trust me on this postwhore......you are attempting to argue with the wrong person when discussing firearms and laws, and you think a few worthless links is going to prove something?