History was made today

ReconRat

This is the beginning of a new future.

The SpaceX Dragon cargo module is docking with the international space station right now. This puts American commercial space efforts ahead of almost all other countries, and in some ways currently ahead of NASA which has nothing. Other countries have docked with the space station, but it was a one way trip delivering supplies, and taking nothing back. SpaceX will parachute back to the ground, bringing back equipment, experiments, etc. The goal is to haul astronauts and cosmonauts up and back.

And this is just the beginning of private enterprise in space...

You can watch live at:

www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

120517_tch_SpaceX_graphic_Reuters.grid-6x2.jpg

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/120517_tch_SpaceX_graphic_Reuters.grid-6x2.jpg

Edited by ReconRat

I wonder if they will make any money doing this. If they have a standard cost plus contract its a slam dunk. If not, well....

SpaceX is planning transport to the ISS at one third of the current cost of the Russian delivery system. That has everyone's attention.

sweet...but fuck the space program...how about we take those trillions and give it back to the tax payers for a new bike!!!!!

Sure, but without the technology involved, we'd be stuck with steam-driven coal-fired antiques. Probably with wheels/tires made of wood. Sort of steam punk cool, but I want more.

NASA budget is less than 1%. More is spent on food stamps. No actual trillions anywhere in any of the budgets, even though the government likes to spend that much.

So think of it this way. If we were given the NASA budget back to the citizens, it would probably be like getting food stamps. I don't get any, so I wouldn't get anything back. It would all go somewhere else. And even if we got something back, it would be worth.... food stamps...

This is also the anniversary of the day John F Kennedy gave his speech before congress, asking to send a man to the Moon.

... First, I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the earth. No single space project in this period will be more impressive to mankind, or more important for the long-range exploration of space; and none will be so difficult or expensive to accomplish. We propose to accelerate the development of the appropriate lunar space craft. We propose to develop alternate liquid and solid fuel boosters, much larger than any now being developed, until certain which is superior. We propose additional funds for other engine development and for unmanned explorations--explorations which are particularly important for one purpose which this nation will never overlook: the survival of the man who first makes this daring flight. But in a very real sense, it will not be one man going to the moon--if we make this judgment affirmatively, it will be an entire nation. For all of us must work to put him there...

It is a most important decision that we make as a nation. But all of you have lived through the last four years and have seen the significance of space and the adventures in space, and no one can predict with certainty what the ultimate meaning will be of mastery of space.

I believe we should go to the moon. But I think every citizen of this country as well as the Members of the Congress should consider the matter carefully in making their judgment, to which we have given attention over many weeks and months, because it is a heavy burden, and there is no sense in agreeing or desiring that the United States take an affirmative position in outer space, unless we are prepared to do the work and bear the burdens to make it successful. If we are not, we should decide today and this year....

And we did just that...