Rider Down in Westerville - Bridge over Hoover Res.

Jcarlson

A rider tried to pass a car on the double yellow two lane bridge over Hoover Res. last night. He hit an oncoming car head on. He and the bike went over the car and into the water. He died later at St. Ann's.

What do you say to that? I drive that bridge all the time. It's narrow, 45 mph. I would never think of passing on it in a million years. I'm sorry for all involved that it happened, but gee whiz!!

I was there as I live nearby. There were sirens coming from all directions and it was non-stop for about 15-20 minutes. Curious I drove down to the plaza at Sunbury & County Line Rds where the bridge is. Of course the bridge was closed and there was rescue equipment the entire length of the bridge - typical for reports of people in the water. I saw three ambulances leave with light and sirens going.

The rider died and the two people in the car were taken to Riverside with minor injuries.

The rider's name has not been released pending notification of his family.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/jun/02/motorcycle-head-crash-car-bridge-ar-1057970/

I was coming home last night on Sunbury Rd and saw every piece of equipment the city and county had up by Bel Lago. Turned off before I got close.

There is no reason to pass on that bridge. The road on it is sketchy enough to not warrant any unsafe behavior. Unfortunately the Rider paid the price.

That is right near where I went down. The speed limit through that whole area is around 45 mph. I get the hankering to go faster than that sometimes, but I restrain myself. RIP.

Believe it is 50, but dont quote me on that. I ride over that bridge all the time, also not sure why he wanted to pass there?:rolleyes:

i dont see passing there being a big deal, especially on a bike....sure its narrow, but its still a 2 lane road, just like any other

the problem wasnt passing, it was passing without paying attention to how close oncoming traffic was.... also, not sure which direction he was going, but if he was heading from sunbury over the bridge, thats the best time to pass if the car in front of you is crawling along.....once you clear the bridge you have those damn hills and you will be stuck behind the dude for quite a bit

idiot for passing on the bridge? not in my book.

idiot for not checking for oncoming traffic first? shit happens. he paid the price. lesson to us all to double check before we pass cars.

That road is covered in tar snakes. I used to ride over there a lot when I worked in the Westerville area. I can't remember many time that I would have even considered passing there, traffic usually moves at a decent pace down that road.

Besides the whole "No passing zone" thing?

idgaf about that....if i can pass safely i will...those are just paint marks on the road to me.

go on a single group ride with anyone on this forum and tell me you guys never pass on a double yellow....youre preaching that topic to the wrong crowd

Sad. We will never know what made the rider try to pass.

He must of been in a hurry to get some place, unfortunately he will never make it there now. I don't see how getting someplace faster is worth risking your life. He could of atleast waited to make an illegal pass safely.

He must of been in a hurry to get some place, unfortunately he will never make it there now. I don't see how getting someplace faster is worth risking your life. He could of atleast waited to make an illegal pass safely.

have...

idgaf about that....if i can pass safely i will...those are just paint marks on the road to me.

go on a single group ride with anyone on this forum and tell me you guys never pass on a double yellow....youre preaching that topic to the wrong crowd

I'm in two minds about that...

Firstly, the road markings and passing zones are not always intelligently marked. Some areas are marked as OK when they are dangerous, and some are marked as no-passing despite being perfectly safe.

No passing here despite being dead straight with no sidestreets or elevation changes:

nopassing.jpg

About a mile further down the road, passing here is legal despite the upcoming double-bend with dip in the road.

passing.jpg

I will only pass on a double-yellow if the vehicle I'm passing is doing less than half the speed limit. In that case, passing is legal.

In the UK they do a much better job of using appropriate road markings in areas where it is safe to pass and ares where it is not. There are 3 types of road markings for the centerline in the UK - Long dashes mean passing is allowed if safe and there are no static hazards nearby. Short dashes mean that passing is still legal but you are approaching a static hazard (usually an intersection). Double-lines mean no passing if your side is solid (just like here)

speaking of this topic....went to find a pic of this bridge to post on here to show that its not an unsafe passing zone, and realized its LEGAL to pass on this bridge

its not a double yellow

the only place you cant pass is at the far end right before going up the huge hill, the rest is dotted yellow

Untitled-5.jpg

Could have run out of fuel at that terrible moment. Ever have an ignition cut out? Your bike/car will look like it's going backwards while you hunt for a gear that works. The correct response to such an event while passing is to nail the brakes hard and sort it out.

I took a ride over there this morning just to see whatever. I came from County Line Rd, crossed Sunbury and headed over the bridge. I noticed several things.

1) Only part of the bridge has water under it. Coming from Sunbury Rd towards the big hill, the bridge arches to allow boats to pass underneath. This area is double yellow lines.

2) The other half of the bridge is flat and level and is built on a man made Earthen dam type outcropping. Where the arch and the level surface meet coming from Sunbury Rd, it changes from double yellow to solid/broken yellow allowing passing from the east bound lane. This is the lane the rider was in.

3) It then changes to double broken yellow allowing passing for both East and west bound traffic.

4) It then changes to solid/broken yellow for west bound passing, then back to double yellow to the top of the hill.

In the east bound lane about half way across I noticed two really dark skid marks from a car. Now, I don't know what this means -

1) They could have been there and mean nothing to this accident.

2) The car could have jammed on his brakes for some reason and the rider dodged to the left to avoid him but was hit by oncoming traffic.

3) The rider passed the car, hit the other car, and the car that was passed jammed on his brakes to avoid the car/bike collision.

Also, the time stamp on the news report says 11:37pm or something but this actually occurred around 8:00 pm last night. So, it was still daylight, the sun would be setting behind the rider but would be right in the oncoming driver's eyes.

Speculate as you will. All we know is sadly, someone didn't make it home last night.

I ride that road all the time. My wife and I love going over the water. It's nice a cool, great view, and a psuedo hill climb at the end. We also love coming down that hill as well. Some times we're hitting speeds of 60+mph depending on traffic, sun setting, etc. However, given the narrowness of the road, no shoulder except an 8" curb and a guardrail, never would I pass on that bridge. A windgust, water on the tar snakes, debris, whatever is all it takes for something like this to occur. Call me a pussy if you want. I'm a big guy, I can take it, but I'd like to ride again tomorrow.

Jim