Today's idiots

Scruit

Legal, yes. Also annoying, dangerous, and a pet peev of mine.

In Ohio it is natural. This is also a downtown area where cars can turn left or right at regular intervals.

I would prefer passing on the left, however you would need to legislate (and enforce effectively) a slow-traffic-stay-right rule.

I have the hero HD. I will have to look but I though mine was a class 4 but a different brand. When I talked to gopro they said it was super picky on the 32 gig cards. I would work well if I recorded under 15 min, after that it would damage the file and nothing would play.

Thanks for the info.

This SanDisk card has never, ever given me a moment's trouble - I love it. It cuts off at about 36 minutes and starts a new file, but I regularly review the files end to end. If they would make an auto-record, auto-loop version then I'd chainsaw my way through a room of babies to buy them.

This SanDisk card has never, ever given me a moment's trouble - I love it. It cuts off at about 36 minutes and starts a new file, but I regularly review the files end to end. If they would make an auto-record, auto-loop version then I'd chainsaw my way through a room of babies to buy them.

I have a SanDisk32GB class 10 card as well, works fine for me too.

Why do people suck at driving so bad? If I had a $1.00 every time shit like this happened to me!

I would argue that a number of factors come into play.

First we now have at least 2 generations that were raised under a paradigm that 'self-esteem' was considered far more important than critical thinking. So now we have self absorbed Yuppie cagers, thinking the whole highway was built just for them, screaming through super market parking lots at 50 MPG, not signaling or even looking when they change lanes on 270 very often for no reason at all.

Having been stationed all over the world and all over the US I feel that the worse drivers in the US are in the deep south. However Columbus area drivers combine incompetence, no 'feel' for their cars or the road, with a deep seated rudeness. That's a dangerous combination. Having spent 6 years in Germany I don't think these 270 hotshots would last 10 minutes on the autobahn. They would be arrested or in a wreck. Propably both.

Add to that the fact that Ohio's traffic laws are ranked the 9th most dangerous in the US. There are no unmarked cars allowed to reign in the stupidity in Columbus. So the only enforcement is for speeding, not for reckless stupidity. Again, dumb.

And I'm convinced a corpse could pass the joke that is the Columbus area 'driver's exam'. It lasts maybe 10 minutes and I once watched a legally blind man get talked through the vision test here.

In the UK you study months for your test. If you fail they do not tell you why. You take a test on driving theory, they open the hood and you have to tell them the parts they point out and what it does and the driving test can take an hour. And heaven help you if they catch you texting. DEspite the narrow roads in the UK driving there is a pleasure as the drivers know what they are doing and are typically polite.

So I am convinced all those factors contribute to the stupidity on the roads here in the Columbus area.

I would argue that a number of factors come into play.

First we now have at least 2 generations that were raised under a paradigm that 'self-esteem' was considered far more important than critical thinking. So now we have self absorbed Yuppie cagers, thinking the whole highway was built just for them, screaming through super market parking lots at 50 MPG, not signaling or even looking when they change lanes on 270 very often for no reason at all.

Having been stationed all over the world and all over the US I feel that the worse drivers in the US are in the deep south. However Columbus area drivers combine incompetence, no 'feel' for their cars or the road, with a deep seated rudeness. That's a dangerous combination. Having spent 6 years in Germany I don't think these 270 hotshots would last 10 minutes on the autobahn. They would be arrested or in a wreck. Propably both.

Add to that the fact that Ohio's traffic laws are ranked the 9th most dangerous in the US. There are no unmarked cars allowed to reign in the stupidity in Columbus. So the only enforcement is for speeding, not for reckless stupidity. Again, dumb.

And I'm convinced a corpse could pass the joke that is the Columbus area 'driver's exam'. It lasts maybe 10 minutes and I once watched a legally blind man get talked through the vision test here.

In the UK you study months for your test. If you fail they do not tell you why. You take a test on driving theory, they open the hood and you have to tell them the parts they point out and what it does and the driving test can take an hour. And heaven help you if they catch you texting. DEspite the narrow roads in the UK driving there is a pleasure as the drivers know what they are doing and are typically polite.

So I am convinced all those factors contribute to the stupidity on the roads here in the Columbus area.

+1

Hell, in the UK, they move over for motorcyclists to allow them to pass even on small roads. I wish our driving standards in the US were half of what Europe has. Korea, not so much...

Anyone want to quote the section of law that states changing lanes in an intersection is illegal? I can't find it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I thought I'd known and seen it, I'll look later. I wouldn't ever change lanes near an intersection, seems like that is a huge percentage of where accidents come from. I watch other people collide or nearly, all the time, doing that. I don't want to be one of them.

edit: I don't see any "intersection" rules other than turns and yielding. It's one of those "judgement of officer and court" rules. It doesn't specify where. Basically says stay in your lane unless it's safe to do otherwise. Of course, if something happens, it might not have been safe...

ODRC 4511.33 Driving in marked lanes.

Columbus municode 2131.08 Driving within lanes or continuous lines of traffic.

Edited by ReconRat

Changing lanes in an intersection is dangerous if some else expects you to go in one direction and you suddenly change lane/direction. Nobody was in a position where my lane change affected where they wanted to go, nor did it change the fact that i was going straight through those two intersections.

If anything this is a failure to "ride like you are invisible"

Confused. Don't see anything happening in this video :dunno:

She pulled out into the oncoming lane to pass before checking to see if it was empty. The lens makes it look further, but it was 3 seconds between her changing lane and me reaching her. No way she could have completed a pass.

That is one thing I have noticed about the gopro, it makes things look a lot further away than they are.

It therefore also makes it look like you are going faster than you really are. :nono: People watching gopro videos (and other wide-angle videos) often say; "Holy crap look how fast you were going!"

I feel boating regulations should apply to road traffic laws where the smaller craft has the right of way. But it still wouldn't make any difference when jackhole drivers dont take the time to assure the next lane is clear. Secondly, I always pass adjacent vehicles as speedily as I "legally" can to prevent them from swerving into me; especially BIG trucks ( class 8 and the like ). Ever seen a tire blow on a semi or its trailer? Shit is catastrophic when a car is next to it, much less a bike. Another reason I ride very defensively - its a whole world full of idiots driving in it vs me and a bike, damn right I'll take steps to keep clear of stupidity.....speeding is illegal if/when caught, but at least I will safely ride away from getting stopped instead of ending up a greasy spot on the door of a dumbass because I refused to speed past to avoid their assholish lack of driving skills. Just a circumstancial scenario Scruit was in - sometimes our actions/reactions are the perfect idea, other times not so much. But at least nobody was hurt in the making of this film

I scared the bejeezus out of a lady today, LOL

she was turning left in town, and she just pulls across the other lane (mine) and waits for her lane to clear while chatting away on her cell phone...looking away from me

so i give the brakes a tap, just to make sure they are working and then I roll up on her drivers door at the speed limit, and brake right at the last minute while nailing the horn...

She turned my direction just before i hit the brakes and you could just see the terror on her face as she screamed into the phone (her window was up and I could hear it inside my helmet)

I laughed so hard... I bet she won't be doing that again for a couple days.

• Upvote 1

she was turning left in town, and she just pulls across the other lane (mine) and waits for her lane to clear while chatting away on her cell phone...looking away from me

so i give the brakes a tap, just to make sure they are working and then I roll up on her drivers door at the speed limit, and brake right at the last minute while nailing the horn...

She turned my direction just before i hit the brakes and you could just see the terror on her face as she screamed into the phone (her window was up and I could hear it inside my helmet)

:lol:

LOL...rep to you good sir