250 class w/ motoseries - how many bikes?

redkow97

probably just another one of my pipe-dream ideas that will never materialize, but if I can sell my 600RR, I might be able to afford a street/track EX250 to buzz around on.

I am not aware of anyone on this board who tracks a 250, but i know there was a decent crowd at the last MotoSeries event I attended.

My main concern is, "is it any fun to wring the piss out of a bike and only hit 95mph?"

Do those guys run warmers, or could I do without them? How long could I stretch tires? etc. etc.

Is it even safe to run practice or trackdays with 30hp when others on the track have between 70 and 170?

I just anticipate exiting the carousel in 5th gear on a 250, and being totally pinned through the kink.

Would make more sense to post this on the Moto Series forum, as you clearly have stated that no one on here is running that class. Post over there so you can actually get feedback from those that are riding those bikes.

I'd give it a try, but not sure about a whole series. Would teach corner speed of course. Great and close racing, but it looks painful on the straights.

Like any racing, if there is parity, it will be really good and close racing. Cheap, too.

I've been looking at them a they are somewhat a potential for my son to race, but too large and not the path we are choosing. That bein said, I've seen the dunlops DOT as a choice with no warmers, but the front guys are running slicks. But, slicks on a light bike with no serious entry and exit loads, they'll last like iron.

my son just got into it. pleasantly surprised at 11 bikes on the grid last time at Nelsons. i have personally not tracked it, but ABSOLUTELY a great class to develop your skills.

I was concerned about the closing speeds on trackdays, but can tell you that so far it's not been an issue - you know, the part where a 250 out brakes the 100hp bike and passes it mid corner...:p

hell yeah. its much more fun to ride a slow bike fast :)

I gotta agree with this...

I had so much fun wringing the chinese scooter for all she was worth last weekend, full tuck behind the instrument panel trying to squeeze out a few more mphs

Yup, baby CBR... They even have a decent contingency, but the Ninja is noticeably faster...

Hmm, cool. A friend of mine has an old Honda VTR250, I wonder how it would do?

Also, would you be banned if you showed up with a grey market CBR250RR?

Hmm, cool. A friend of mine has an old Honda VTR250, I wonder how it would do?

Also, would you be banned if you showed up with a grey market CBR250RR?

Nope! Rules say it would fit into the class. I wouldn't be too sure unless a newer model that they CBR will be better than the tricked out Ninja...

Ok, I will chip in my first had experience from yesterday. It took me almost all of practice to get my head around how to ride the 250. I only ran the first sprint got a crap start as I have never launched one and hit T1 in 5th. By the time I could make the move to 4th the guy in third was gone. I was laughing my ass off the whole time I was riding it. Staying on the gas at beaver until the 100 marker into 1 and never letting off the gas from T5 to T10. If I had the cash I would 100% buy one and race the shit out of it.

Ok, I will chip in my first had experience from yesterday. It took me almost all of practice to get my head around how to ride the 250. I only ran the first sprint got a crap start as I have never launched one and hit T1 in 5th. By the time I could make the move to 4th the guy in third was gone. I was laughing my ass off the whole time I was riding it. Staying on the gas at beaver until the 100 marker into 1 and never letting off the gas from T5 to T10. If I had the cash I would 100% buy one and race the shit out of it.

Mods, tires of bike you were on? Im still tossing the idea of getting one for next season learning on it then moving up to the sv or another gsxr 600

100% stock about a mid 90s 250 with sport touring tires on it.

This is the way I would do it as well.

I want a $500 bike with no more than $500 in basic mods. Brake lines, springs, and maybe a GSXR shock (which I have read is a very simple swap).

Then slap a belly pan on it, and a flat-track style number plate (or maybe a $30 upper someone else has crashed beyond use) and just ride for as little as possible.

No expensive tires or anything like that. Home-made rearset brackets to bring up the stock pegs, and just go.

If I could street the same bike in a pinch, that's a bonus.

My next step would be to grab a parts bike and just open it up to learn all I can.

I don't mind a mildly modded 250; I just don't see the point of sinking a bunch of money into a bike that's supposed to be a BUDGET racer.

I would probably run a street/track tire (110/140 seems to be the consensus) and just have spare clipons and rearsets in my tool box.

What else could even break on a bike that can only hit 100mph?

I'd like to ride one on the track before taking the plunge to buy one, but I am liking this idea more and more.

I don't mind a mildly modded 250; I just don't see the point of sinking a bunch of money into a bike that's supposed to be a BUDGET racer.

I would probably run a street/track tire (110/140 seems to be the consensus) and just have spare clipons and rearsets in my tool box.

What else could even break on a bike that can only hit 100mph?

I'd like to ride one on the track before taking the plunge to buy one, but I am liking this idea more and more.

This is what im yhinking, plus I can learn more on a 250 then a 600. Bikes and parts seem dirt cheap hell on wera classifieds theres 2 cbr250 set up modded out for 2500