anyone here make bbq?

oldschoolsdime92

Son's first birthday this Saturday, doing a pork butt or shoulder and maybe some ribs depending.  Haven't had the smoker out in over a year so really looking forward to this.  Going to go long and slow about 8=10hrs at 210-240 and hoping to keep steady at 220.

Figure we'll have about 20-30 people and want to make it a hit.  May even do some smoked baked beans, haven't done them before but considering it if there is room/time.

• Upvote 1

I guess it's my turn to join in the OR BBQ fray!

Got the new smoker all setup this weekend.... Decided to try out a relatively forgiving meat while I was learning the subtleties of the smoker...seasoned, ran 1 dry run, then went for a Pork Shoulder... dry brine'd  the meat 24 hours, then rubbed with a homemade dry rub. loaded the smoker with lump and cherry, and off it went. 14 hours at 225 degrees, meat reached 203 degrees, a 60 minute rest, and pulled it to eat! 

dacf8a90e5b2119db6b3a1b3e05b1759.jpg

22d0d1de240a8ca0a926de49e9b139f0.jpg

a0ca1fc659021f9dd0346f79a91b7558.jpg8a9c1ead3ad97bf9e49e2cb9bfd549e9.jpg94f30e3bca9ebe89c75a26858d4c6e27.jpg

• 10 months later...

Going to bump this thread, just got a 30" electric smoker and i am going to try and do a pork shoulder this weekend...if anyone has anything they have learned that i shouldn't do let me know. I just learned i need to season my smoker the day before cooking by watching U tube here at work.

• Upvote 1

Is it a Masterbuilt? Don't rely on the thermometer in the door. Not very accurate. Get a good thermo that measures BBQ temp and meat temp. Might suggest a maverick thermometer, love mine.

Get a good rub or make your own and stay away from salt. Start with a fruit wood, in my experience I've never run in to a problem of too much smoke flavor with a fruit wood.

• Upvote 1

^^^

Thanks! Yes it is the Masterbuilt, I purchased the wireless thermometer but it was only $20 so not sure how good it is...I got the McCormick apple wood rub, any good or bad with that rub in your opinion? I have the Hickory chips and apple chips, suggestions on which one i should use for my first time?

• Upvote 1

Definitely use the apple. Hickory is pretty potent and is easier to over smoke than fruit wood in my opinion

I'm not a big fan of Mccormicks rubs because they use too much salt for my liking. Haven't had a butt turn out hammy but I've had ribs taste hammy because of too much salt so more of a personal preference for me.

Most of the time I make my own rubs but lately been using one my wife bought me that the name escapes me currently. It's good stuff!

Edited by Bad324

http://barbecuebible.com/2013/11/19/boston-butt-basics/

Here is a pretty good article on some pork. Wireless thermometer is worth it in my opinion. Don't have to baby sit as much and every time you open the door or remove lid you loose heat and add time. I don't brine but inject. Apple and white grape juice works for me. As for rubs.....easy to make your own. Hot,sweet,salty,peppery or whatever. Just adjust ingredients as needed. I also slather the crap out of it with mustard before I wrap it for a 10-12 hour sleep in the fridge. Same goes for the taste of the mop-make it to taste. Cooking by time is just an estimate. It's done when it hits the proper temp..sometimes a big chunk of meat will hit a certain temp and just hang there. Be patient. It will take off. Most people get impatient and pull it from the cooker too soon. Don't forget the wrap and rest. It is also a good step in the process. As for wood...never had issues with hickory with beef or pork. I also toss in cherry as well. Hardwoods for beef and pork and fruit woods for poultry and fish is a general consensus. It's BBQ...whatever works for you.

507f13325f9323323667e771bc1e7c21_zpsxayy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So, I decided to do smoked pork chops tonight, and decided to just cook the corn on the cob in the smoker at the same time.  THAT was an EXCELLENT idea!  The pork chops were a little dry, I think I left them in there a little too long.  Next time I will get a thicker cut, for sure.  

For the chops, I just salted them kinda' heavily, then tossed them in.  I like them that way, but next time I may make a rub.

The corn, I left in the husk, soaked them for a few minutes in water, just put them in the smoker that way.  They were in for a couple hours.  Took it out, peeled the husk and buttered.  There was just a light smoke flavor to it, just enough to set it off!

• Upvote 2

Never done corn. I like that idea! 

I've read that anywhere from 2-4 hours for it.  I did mine right around 2 hours, around 200-225 range (I didn't watch too close, I was just doing pork chops, I wanted to keep the temp on the low side.)  Being a fast smoke, I knew I'd need a stronger wood, so I used hickory.  

I tried that with a pork butt a few weeks back when I wasn't gonna be home all morning but needed to get it done. Came out alright but I should have left it in the smoker another hour or two as it became more chopped pork than pulled pork

• 1 month later...