anyone here make bbq?

oldschoolsdime92

Brisket. It turned out decent. The flavor was good, the bark had a little kick to it (according to my wife) but I think I should have left it on a while longer, and hit it with more smoke than I did. I also need to find a place to get a better cut, as it was pretty tough, and I don't know that cooking it longer would have done it. It wasn't dried out at all, in fact it had juices oozing when I took it out!

IMAG0465.jpg

IMAG0467.jpg

Looks way overdone. No offense. you sure you didnt cook a corned brisket?

Nope, I know not to get a corned brisket. That's usually all they have locally, and they just happened to have some regular briskets this week. I'm going to try elsewhere to get a better cut for next weekend, I believe. From what I've been reading, USDA Angus is the way to go.

I really don't think it was over done. I just barely hit 170 degrees internal temperature, and the fat wasn't quite breaking down like one would expect when it's done. So I'm pretty sure this is another case of needing more time in the smoker!

Nope, I know not to get a corned brisket. That's usually all they have locally, and they just happened to have some regular briskets this week. I'm going to try elsewhere to get a better cut for next weekend, I believe. From what I've been reading, USDA Angus is the way to go.

I really don't think it was over done. I just barely hit 170 degrees internal temperature, and the fat wasn't quite breaking down like one would expect when it's done. So I'm pretty sure this is another case of needing more time in the smoker!

May have cooked at too high of a temp and hit internal temperature too quickly? The outside looks just fine, but if it's too tough, it probably didn't spend enough time in the smoker to break down the connective tissues. How long did you have it in for and at about what temp? I usually have to get up around 4am to start a brisket if I want for dinner that same day and cook at 225-250.

i had some wonderful brisket last night with hellmutt and snot and my wife.... and i didnt spend anytime in the smoke..

company 7 bbq englewood ohio..

IMAG2416.jpg

On a side note, Porter , your brisket looks good to me, but if it was tough, you didn't let the fat break down all the way. I think you need to hit 185ish. Another thing is that I have found the resting time is crucial. Wrap it in foil, nice and tight and let her rest for awhile.( my big pork shoulders normally rest 2-3 hours before pulling). I haven't perfected the art of brisket yet, so I don't have much advice other than that.

That could be, You want to smoke it at 225-250 for 1.25-1.5 hrs/lb, then the last 2 hrs, wrap it in aluminum foil and let the internal temp rise to 190-200. Then when done, pull it and wrap the whole thing in a thick towel for 30+ min before cutting.

i had some wonderful brisket last night with hellmutt and snot and my wife.... and i didnt spend anytime in the smoke..

company 7 bbq englewood ohio..

IMAG2416.jpg

On a side note, Porter , your brisket looks good to me, but if it was tough, you didn't let the fat break down all the way. I think you need to hit 185ish. Another thing is that I have found the resting time is crucial. Wrap it in foil, nice and tight and let her rest for awhile.( my big pork shoulders normally rest 2-3 hours before pulling). I haven't perfected the art of brisket yet, so I don't have much advice other than that.

That could be, You want to smoke it at 225-250 for 1.25-1.5 hrs/lb, then the last 2 hrs, wrap it in aluminum foil and let the internal temp rise to 190-200. Then when done, pull it and wrap the whole thing in a thick towel for 30+ min before cutting.

Yeah, this sounds like what I need to do for sure! I let it rest for about a half hour. I may be trying again this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow, we'll start bbq'ing for a fund raiser....

48 Briskets

50 Chickens

76 lbs Sausage

The Brisket will be between 10-15 lbs each, and start cooking at 1200, and be ready on Saturday by 0900. We'll be using Montreal Steak Seasoning(Sam's Club) with Mustard, Cayenne, and beer(marinade).

Chicken and Sausage will start around 2000, and slow cook all night. Chicken will be Montreal Chicken Seasoning, with the leftover compound from the briskets, and beer(marinade).

Sausage will be placed in large foil pans, and all leftover seasoning and beer will be that marinade.

Marinade will be overnight, in foil.

All oak wood coals, with some pieces of mesquite.

Photos to follow.....

Well I got a late start on my pork today. Have a nice dry rub on it made of sugar, paprika, ground black pepper, white pepper, Crushed hot red peppers, mustard powder, and some chili powder. sat over night then added more of the dry rub. I am putting it over hickory wood for the smoke. I will see how it turns out in about four hours. Think I am gonna finish it in the crock pot or oven to save some time on it. I am hoping to have it ready by halftime.

Start:

picture.php?albumid=1111&pictureid=17098picture.php?albumid=1111&pictureid=17099

Well two hours in flipped it over and stirred the wood and coals. I still need a better thermometer for what temp it is in the smoker. If you left now oldschool you might get here right when it's done. LOL I am in the cleveland area.

picture.php?albumid=1111&pictureid=17102picture.php?albumid=1111&pictureid=17103

Update pic: ready for the oven.

picture.php?albumid=1111&pictureid=17104

Edited by speedytriple

I'm making some bbq chicken tenders right now, figured I'd try(the lazy way) to make them different. I used some craft bbq, Franks red hit Buffalo sauce, black pepper, paprika, daves steak & burger seasom, daves rib season, and some pork rub. Turned out pretty good, it's a lil sweet with a nice kick to it. I'd defiantly do it again.

picture.php?albumid=1111&pictureid=17105 Well it ended up pretty good. Taste is very good, could have been a little more tender. was a work out pulling it with a fork off the bone. Very juicy, with a little bit of a kick from the peppers and the spices I used in the rub. In the crock pot now with all the drippings and juices to see if it will tender up a bit more. Edited by speedytriple

The Pits:

525623_4792455524229_1103995662_n.jpg

480443_4792455484228_1619026904_n.jpg

Marinade:

Montreal Steak Seasoning, Black Pepper, Cajun Seasoning, Fish fry seasoning, Yellow mustard, beer.

563076_4792455564230_1365856670_n.jpg

24278_4792456364250_313664500_n.jpg

First placed in double stacks, fat side out.

525751_4792456484253_1329632737_n.jpg

404779_4792456804261_652440673_n.jpg

Turning....

526491_4792457284273_1952759117_n.jpg

487730_4792457524279_1945217496_n.jpg

Some of the chicken....

487916_4792457804286_625591867_n.jpg

The only way to get coals for the pits!

382204_4792458044292_263399031_n.jpg

Started the brisket on the pits at 1200, did the fat side out for 2 hours each side, then lean side out for 2 hours each side, then wrapped in foil(I was too damn tired to take pics by this point), and added 1/2 a beer in each, put back on the pits overnight.

Chicken was marinated(same marinade except Montreal Chicken seasoning) for about 6 hours, and cooked back side down for 2 1/2 hours, then wrapped in foil with some beer, breast side down, overnight.

Sausage was put in the leftover marinade, smoked for a couple hours on the pits, then put in foil pans with the rest of the beer(only about a 12 pack) overnight.

All pits were cooking at 195-200 degrees, never got hotter than 200. We stoked the pits at 2300 and went home for the night. I got there at 0630 the next morning, and the temp had only dropped down to 170. No additional coals were added at that point.

The addition of the mustard was suggested by a chef from a local restaurant, and it made a difference in the moisture content of all the meat(just like he said it would), much juicier!!!

• 3 weeks later...

apparently the gf wants to have family over sunday which is the perfect excuse for me to smoke/grill up some foods. I think I'm gonna do some pulled pork on the smoker but trying to come up with another recipe for something to throw on the grill in the event the weather doesn't cooperate and it takes far longer than I plan