Cleveland/South of area Riders

F4MOU$

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I made it south of the Canton area today (I hate the ride down there... 70 miles of slabin it blows!).

I ended up taking exit 93 of I-77 to go east on 212. Compared to anything in the Cleveland area, it wasn't too bad. Except for something goin on in Zora. After getting through there it was pretty good. several places to pass slower vehicles and the road was clear. I took 212 all the way to Bowerston where I turned onto 164. Pretty much the same all the way till I got to Scio. At Scio, I turned south onto 646. Several sweepers all the way to Tappan Lake; however, just before I got there I got stuck behind a huge group of Harley's goin 10-15 under. WTF?

I turned right on 250 and took that all the way to Ulrichsville. Grabed gas, for the second time, and reviewing the map I decided to head south on 800.

800 is a good road but nothing compared to the road I turned on. I ended up taking 258 west all the way to Newcornerstown. Holy cow... 258 is not a beginners road. I'm glad I was taking it semi easy cause a lot of those turns catch out off guard. If it wasn't for all the horse crap and rocks on the road, it would be okay. I ended up pushing the front a few times on some gravel, have the brown pants to prove it, but it was a pretty good road. If I didn't have to slab it so far, I'd ride it a lot more so I knew where the blind cresting corners where headed. Those things are bitch, but I love it!

After getting to Newcornerstown, I headed back North on I-77. Stopped for a bite to eat at a DQ after getting gas and then slabbed it back to Cle-vegas.

Overall, a great ride between the damn slabs to and from the area.

As for the bike, the Tiller handled quite well. Changing over to Ohlins valves and a racetech spring really helped the front and the Ohlins rear shock kept her stable the entire time. I previously never had an issue with the Metzler Sport Techs M3's, but after pushing the front a few times over what I just gather was some gravel (never saw it) I lost a bit of confidence in 'em. Could possibly be due to the differnt bike I have them on.

OH-258 is one of my favorites.

If I lived closer I'd be on it quite a bit. Once you get to know the road, those off camber cresting switch backs could be a lot of fun. Especially on the 2nd or third run to find all the crap on the road.

It reminded me a bit of HWY 227 just north of Lexington, KY. Only towards the end of that road, it started opening up into fantastic sweepers that you could see through.

• 3 weeks later...

Drew, if you're still looking for some good roads that aren't too far away, I might be able to help, especially if you live west of I-77. Most on here have commented how there are good roads south of Millersburg, and they're right, however I know of a few good roads(one is very good w/ fresh pavement)before even getting to Millersburg. And, no, Rt.83 is not one of them. Rt.83 north of Millersburg is very boring.

The reason living west of I-77 is important is it cuts down your riding time. These roads begin south of Wooster, so it's pretty easy to get there from the west side, or if you're close to I-77.

If you're interested(or anyone else here), send me a pm, or post here. I know several places in Wooster we could meet, then go for a ride.

I am within a couple minutes of 77, I'd be down to ride sometime to see some new area's!

This past Thursday I was off work and jumped on the bike, turned on my 'Map My Ride' app on my phone (AWESOME app, it uses the GPS on the phone and follows every where I go and tracks it on a map.

I started out at a friends house and went by myself on a ride. Took 82 to the Metroparks in Brecksville, then from there road the Metro Parks all the way to Rocky River/Lakewood where it seemed to end up by the Bars in Lakewood (by like Harry Buffalo and so on) and then jumped on 90 took that into down town, road around the Flats a little bit, up to Edgewater, then jumped back on I-77 and took that up to Rockside, then headed down to Canal and took that back to the Metroparks area, and hit Helltown out to Old State 8 then 303 down to Hinkley area and around there then back home.

122.5 miles and about 4.25 hours.

This app is so accurate that it even has me walking from the parking lot to the water fall and back step for step at Bonnie Park if you could see the zoomed in portion of it on my phone.

Screenshot_2012-08-16-16-03-52.png

I've got a GPS on my bike, but that does seem like a really cool app.

I'm available this Fri, Sat & Sun for a ride. Since you're near I-77, we could meet in either Wadsworth or Wooster. The only difference being, it will take a little longer to get to good roads from Wadsworth. There's a McDonald's in Wadsworth, just off I-76 at the Rt94 exit. In Wooster the Green Leaf Restaurant is a convenient place to meet. Their address is 2905 Cleveland Ave. In Wooster. Cleveland Ave. is right next to Rt.3

I usually like to meet around 8:00-8:30am and leave around 9:00am. If you don't need to eat anything, you could just show up at 9:00am. We can ride for just a couple of hours, or take a good part of the day.....I'll leave that up to you.

If your schedule permits and you think you'd like to ride any of these days, just respond here. We can then pm our cell numbers to each other. I guarantee you'll really enjoy the roads down this way. They're a big step up from what you've been riding.

We can certainly get together for a ride Crusher. I'd love to see your CB750 sometime, as well. If Drew and I get together later this week you're welcome to join us. I'll post details here.

Btw, we're closer than you think. I live in Doylestown.

El kabong, if nothing materializes with the other ride sorta in the works I will take you up on that. I've wanted to try some new roads and beer been out that way. Haven't been on a good ride in months and need to get one in

Over near Willoughby there are some decent side-roads. It's not speed-demon country, but Chagrin River road/Eagle Road and all the intermediary roads in that stretch going from Mayfield Heights up to Willoughby are nice! Very pretty greenery, especially with fall coming up.

That would be my recommendation.

A couple of things, since some others have expressed interest in meeting for a ride. First, this thread was started by Drew wanting some new areas to ride. I've responded with an invitation to introduce him to some new roads within a reasonable distance of where he lives. Out of courtesy to Drew, I think it only fair to give him a reasonable time to respond whether or not he is able to join me for a ride later this week.

If Drew decides he cannot ride this week, or I don't hear from him by tomorrow morning, I will then post something in the "rides" thread under "northeast", offering to lead a ride on Saturday morning leaving from Wooster at the aforementioned restaurant.

Nautical brings up an important point......the pace of the ride. Any ride I lead, especially when I'm not familiar with the riders, will be at a reasonable pace. It WILL NOT be "balls to the wall!" If that's what you're looking for, look elsewhere. That being said, we won't be poking along either.

Below is a brief outline of how I will lead a ride:

-I will not run off and leave you

-I will always make sure the rider behind me sees any turns I make

-We WILL keep to the speed limit through towns

-On straight stretches, 5-10mph over the limit, high speeds on straights don't impress me

-In twisty sections we'll have fun.....keeping in mind we're on public roads

What I expect from fellow riders:

-Wear appropriate gear. Minimum: helmet, gloves & riding jacket

-Make sure the rider behind you sees any turns you make

-DO NOT crowd the rider in front of you!!! This is a pet peeve of mine.

-If the rider in front of you is slower, pass in a non threatening and safe manner

-HAVE FUN!!!!!!

El Kabong, I would definitely be interested in a ride this weekend. Sorry the only access to a computer I have is at work, during slow times I can roam the forums.

I just checked the weather, looks like it will be beautiful on Saturday, and I'd be down to check out some riding with you! I appreciate it. Anyone is welcome to join, doesn't bother me.

Do you have an address as to where we would meet up so I can google map/map quest it?

That's great Drew! Yes, the forecast for Saturday looks great.

Ok, here's the details. The address of the Green Leaf restaurant is 2905 Cleveland Ave. in Wooster. I'll be there Saturday morning sometime between 8 and 8:30am. Kickstands up by 9:15am. There is a gas station right across the street from the restaurant. It would be a good idea to fill up when you arrive, so we can leave on time. I'll send you a pm with my cell number. Please send me yours as well, so we can get hold of one another in case something comes up.

I look forward to meeting and riding with you on Saturday. I'm sure we'll have a good time.

As Drew has indicated, anyone else here is welcome to join us. Please post here if you plan on attending, so we'll know to expect you.

We can certainly get together for a ride Crusher. I'd love to see your CB750 sometime, as well. If Drew and I get together later this week you're welcome to join us. I'll post details here.

Btw, we're closer than you think. I live in Doylestown.

The 750 is now an 850....well it will be once I put it all back together, spent the last year building the motor in my spare time and spare money. I make it up into Doylestown once in a while. I work afternoons through the week so I don't get the opportunity to meet up and ride with a lot of people on here. If I'm riding Saturday ill pm you.

Crusher, that 4 to midnight shift is a killer. I offered to work it, briefly, years ago(for more $), but got right back on day shift asap. It seemed like I had no personal time. I got off at 12:30am, but couldn't go to bed as soon as I got home.....more like 2-2:30 before I finally got to sleep. I'd then get up around 10-10:30am and by the time I was dressed and had breakfast, there wasn't enough time to do anything; because I had to be at work again by 4:00pm. Now I know my body never had enough time to adapt to the new hours, but fortunately it never had to, because it was no problem getting back on day shift.

As far as meeting us during the ride Saturday, that probably would be difficult, as I won't know the exact route until I talk it over with Drew Saturday morning. It will depend on when he wants to get back, as to which roads we'll hit.

I will say that you don't have to be there at 8:30. If you grab a quick bite at home and can meet us by 9:15, that's fine. That still may be too early for you, but I don't want to leave any later, because of the increasing temps the later we ride.

That's great Drew! Yes, the forecast for Saturday looks great.

Ok, here's the details. The address of the Green Leaf restaurant is 2905 Cleveland Ave. in Wooster. I'll be there Saturday morning sometime between 8 and 8:30am. Kickstands up by 9:15am. There is a gas station right across the street from the restaurant. It would be a good idea to fill up when you arrive, so we can leave on time. I'll send you a pm with my cell number. Please send me yours as well, so we can get hold of one another in case something comes up.

I look forward to meeting and riding with you on Saturday. I'm sure we'll have a good time.

As Drew has indicated, anyone else here is welcome to join us. Please post here if you plan on attending, so we'll know to expect you.

Sounds good, that is about exactly an hour from my house, and 44 miles. I'll plan to be there around 8:30-8:45. I'll be on the bike in my sig and I will have a black leather jacket and black and silver helmet.

How many miles are you planning on doing? It doesn't matter to me, the most I've ridden in 1 day is about 150 miles but willing to do more if thats what you have planned.

I can run about 130-140 miles per tank too fyi, there will be gas stops along the way if need be?

I have access to 2 GoPro's, you think I should bring them?

Well if you plan the route so that you pass back through the canton-ish area after about 80 miles I can try and meet up with you guys....pm me if you think its worth a shot, ill give you my number and we can communicate a little more efficiently. I've been working 2nd shift for like 8 years nowim pretty much used to it.,