need opinions on track bike

RHill

I'm thinking of picking up an 01-03 gsxr 600 or an sv650 for a track bike....or taking my 05 to the track. Reason I'd like to stick with a Suzuki is I have my 01 in pieces, just dont have fairings, fairing stay or a frame(its bent and cracked).

I found a 2003 gsxr with 30k miles for a little over 2k and my engine has a little over 20k on the clock. I'm pretty tempted to go for it, but my current housing situation doesn't lend itself to having 3 bikes and a trailer. I'll be moving here in a month, so I've got some time to consider my choices.

I wish I had money to blow, I'd throw the 05 on the track in a heartbeat and pick up newer and maybe more comfortable for the street.

Opinions?

Keep your eyes peeled for a deal. I've seen much newer bikes for not much more. I got my 07 Gixxer 750 with clip ons, rear sets, etc for $3300 and it had 3500 miles on it last month. I saw a 2005 Yamaha R1 for $2500 too.

Find em and throw em up and the good folks on OR will help. They really pitched in with advice when I was hunting for mine.

Seems you're on the right path since you have a bad frame and no bodykit on your '01, consider it a parts donor and find a good/cheap trackbike of the same gen. Would be the easiest route over parting out or finding a frame/body for your old bike. $2k isnt horrible for an '03, pending condition; and 30k mi isnt exactly LOW so negotiate the price some more. Clean title on the '03, price isnt far off - a salvage or trackbike at that age/mileage, offer about $1750?

Edited by Hellmutt
price

Keep your eyes peeled for a deal. I've seen much newer bikes for not much more. I got my 07 Gixxer 750 with clip ons, rear sets, etc for $3300 and it had 3500 miles on it last month. I saw a 2005 Yamaha R1 for $2500 too

Those are good deals!

Yeah, those are good deals!

Heres a link to the bike I was talking about. http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/3160310252.html

He is asking 2600, but I wouldnt go any more than 2k. Exchanged a couple texts with him, says clean title, but it looks to have been down pretty hard on the left; dented tank, bent clipon, messed up fairing, maybe bent fairing stay from the gap on the headlight.

I was hoping to find a bike already track prepped with plastics, but I'm tempted to shoot this guy an offer.

Just be sure to do the math on the stuff you plan to upgrade.

Suspension isn't cheap, so that was always what I looked for with my track bikes.

But go through and source everything you would want to add, then add that to the cost of the "track" bike that's fOr sale.

With a few bits taken off and without the stands, my (fully race ready) bike would only be $2500 or $2600

I've been keeping an eye on the wera classifieds hoping to find a bike pretty much ready to go w suspension/rearsets/plastics, but haven't seen anything in this generation. I wouldnt even mind finding one with a blown engine and throwing mine in.

Yeah, those are good deals!

Heres a link to the bike I was talking about. http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/3160310252.html

He is asking 2600, but I wouldnt go any more than 2k. Exchanged a couple texts with him, says clean title, but it looks to have been down pretty hard on the left; dented tank, bent clipon, messed up fairing, maybe bent fairing stay from the gap on the headlight.

I was hoping to find a bike already track prepped with plastics, but I'm tempted to shoot this guy an offer.

Couldnt hurt to offer less than $2k and make him bring you up to $2k if you go for it, but go over it in person with a keen eye since it has been rashed n bent on the left and he failed to disclose why/when/what happened.

I'm with these guys on getting a newer specimen though, especially with the damage already on the '03 - rashed later models aren't much more. Up to you though, if money is tight and your old bikes parts can crossbreed to the '03 it may be worth it to you.

Maybe a better option would be selling off my 01 leftovers and either finding a newer bike to track or prepping the 05 and finding something else for the street. Guess it would all depend on what kind of deal I can find.

Just about all the 01 parts should be interchangeable with the 01-03 gen 600, that's why I was looking specific to those years.

Edited by RHill