Track days for kids?

donkason

My wife and I are expecting our first child on February 1st. This got me thinking about all the cool stuff I can show my kid! I was wondering if there are track days, courses, or the like for underage unlicensed drivers to learn how to handle a bike on the road?

I am planning on making my kid as unsquidly as possible if it decides to ride, which it probably will as motorcycles are almost genetic in my family.

My club allows kids to ride/race.. www.ohiominigp.com

If it is a new kid and you don't want to teach/coach the little one yourself, we offer training and coaching for free on non-event days or after the races are over on event days.

Most of the dads want to teach their own kids, and that's fine.. But sometimes a lesson or two from different viewpoints might not hurt. We also rent out XR100's but if that's too big, there are a few YSR guys that I'm sure wouldn't mind lending out a bike for a few laps.

At anyrate, come check us out at our next event at CRP, or contact me with any other questions!

• Upvote 1

My club allows kids to ride/race.. www.ohiominigp.com

If it is a new kid and you don't want to teach/coach the little one yourself, we offer training and coaching for free on non-event days or after the races are over on event days.

Most of the dads want to teach their own kids, and that's fine.. But sometimes a lesson or two from different viewpoints might not hurt. We also rent out XR100's but if that's too big, there are a few YSR guys that I'm sure wouldn't mind lending out a bike for a few laps.

At anyrate, come check us out at our next event at CRP, or contact me with any other questions!

I checked out the site. There is nothing cooler than seeing people drag knee on an XR100. That's the bike I learned on. What a cool program!

Looks like I know where to go. What are the age groups? I saw one say no younger than 10 but no detail on the others. I'm browsing on my phone too so I may have missed it.

I've seen >16 year olds running with Moto Series and STT.

While most orgs publish a minimum age in their rule books, I've yet to encounter one that won't make exceptions if you talk to them and the kid is up to pace.

Kaleb De Keyrel was at a NESBA Intermediate Skills Enhancement Day a couple of years ago, and I know from Facebook that he's just now doing driver's ed. That would mean he was 13 at the time, and already quite comfortably riding near the front of the Intermediate group.

He was switching between a 2-stroke 125(?) and a Moriwaki 250 (it was his first year racing that bike, if memory serves) and was doing 21's before lunch. I remember because he was destroying me in some turns, and I stopped shifting into 5th on the front straight in order to stay behind him and try to keep up without exploiting my horsepower advantage.

Not only did that give him some clear track and eliminate the need to re-pass me twice a lap, but it also helped me drop 2 seconds a lap so I could STAY in front of him in the afternoon.

But my point was really that younger riders are not only allowed with most orgs, they are generally looked after quite carefully and given extra consideration by the other riders on track.

I should have had Kaleb sign something for me. That was definitely my last chance to ever say I was faster than him...

I checked out the site. There is nothing cooler than seeing people drag knee on an XR100. That's the bike I learned on. What a cool program!

Looks like I know where to go. What are the age groups? I saw one say no younger than 10 but no detail on the others. I'm browsing on my phone too so I may have missed it.

Thanks man! It's a fun time!

We have had kids 6-7yrs old racing old ysr50's crf50, and KLX110's. They can go out and practice during our lunch break or after races are over for free

I took my son when he was 5yrs old out on our lunch break and did about 8 laps on his old PW50. He followed me on the XR100. Was a blast! He is now 7 and has a KLX110 and he plans to race it next year.. But he is having fun riding dirt, so I won't push.. Let him do what he wants! He's having fun!

He's a pic of him on his PW at CRP.. Happy dad moment! Lol

2905fed3.jpg

Edited by fireman_343

Thanks man! It's a fun time!

We have had kids 6-7yrs old racing old ysr50's crf50, and KLX110's. They can go out and practice during our lunch break or after races are over for free

I took my son when he was 5yrs old out on our lunch break and did about 8 laps on his old PW50. He followed me on the XR100. Was a blast! He is now 7 and has a KLX110 and he plans to race it next year.. But he is having fun riding dirt, so I won't push.. Let him do what he wants! He's having fun!

He's a pic of him on his PW at CRP.. Happy dad moment! Lol

2905fed3.jpg

Nominate this man for coolest dad of the year.

Ahh.. Thanks guys, but I'm nowhere near being the "coolest dad".. If you know me, and my son.. We have a special relationship and he always wants to do what I'm doing... Riding is one of them, and I enjoy teaching him!

• Upvote 1