new vstar question? need info

2talltim

picked up the wifes new(to her) 07 Vstar 1100 classic last night and i have a question connerning the starter. The bike came with 90 day warranty so want to address all problems before that is up. Im not cruiser guy so im not sure what they are supposed to sound like, thought maybe someone with a familiar bike could chime in. The starter just sounds weak to me, the battery was full charged and it mostly does it on cold starts, but it might turn over one or twice then stall for a split second the crank ok. Im guessing this bike dosnt have a decompression valve like im used to with the Tl, and im sure i has way more commpression than the 600 shadow. Here is a clip, ill try to take another on eon a colder start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jzxV_b0F38&list=UUpnvMR2xgYFor_jpr0PKHZw&index=1&feature=plcp

Edited by 2talltim

The TL has a decompression valve? :dunno:

That started a little weak' date=' but it could be normal. Have you checked the voltage drop while trying to start the bike? I think the battery is easy to access. Should be on the side, right?

I'd guess that battery is a bit tired.[/quote']

yes the TL has decompression on one cyl. (front one i think)not really a valve but its built in to the cam

6679d1064771891-decompressor-mechanism-explained-lever-open2.jpg

havent check the voltage yet, only other thing i can think of is, i have no idea how long this thing sat so i thought about pulling the plugs and letting her crank over freely for 15-20 second at a time and do that a few times to maybe self clean the brushes on the starter a little.

Doesn't sound all that odd, unless there were some failures to fire up that I just didn't hear.

just heasatates and sounds liek maybe not enough juice or something...ill check voltage tomorrow and do more research, ive got 3 months to iron it out

I hear these V-stars start up all the time. It seems to me like it only happens sometimes, like it has to do with where the motor is in the stroke when you hit the button. If its more consistant, have the battery checked to make sure it's got a good charge, and tests strong. I could be wrong but I thought these had a recall on the starter gear or something, maybe it hasn't been updated yet?

Ok had some free time at work tonight and put a meter on it. The standing voltage not running is 12.7...when its running its 12.9...when it tries to start 1. When it starts with out the salling problem it drops to 8.5 to 9.... 2. When the starter stalls out for that slipt second it stuggles and the voltage drops to 6.5 but bounces right back to 12v when you let go of the button

Ok I think I can rule out the battery, just put jumpers from it to my lift truck at work and still does it, voltage don't drop as low(maybe only down to 9v) but it still does it.

There is talk on the interwebz about bad starter one way gears in these being bad but its a totally different problem, the common problem is the gear not engaging, those are in the 99-02 models

Looks like I'm going to put this off for today I'm too pissed about mt TL deal to trouble shoot a problem but here is part of a acrticle I read.....

It appears the prime "suspect" in the dreaded "clunk" leading to twisted starter bolts (and also to starter clutch failure) is the improper use of the throttle (right hand!) when starting the bike. Advancing the throttle causes the TPS (throttle Positioning Sensor) to "misread" and to cause a kickback - the full power of which is directed at the flimsy internal structure of the starter. See the next two items on proper starting technique - and avoid the problem.

Also appears that an incorrect setting on the TPS is a major contributor to the dreaded clunk - either on starting or on engine shutdown. Included in the TPS section below is an excellent article, with pix, on how to check the TPS setting and how to adjust if it is out of the preferred range. Click here to jump to that TPS check & Set article. http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/Other-Stuff/TPS-Test-Adjust.pdf

found that here... http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/VStar1100-FAQ-08.htm

lots of good info there

Edited by 2talltim

tinkered with it today and adjusted the TPS, think it did help but i have it adjusted as far as it will go to be in spec., but it is stil stuggleing a little bit. Call the place we bought it from, he said he is going to ask around to some of his tech buddies and see if there is something else to look into. So the search continues.

im mainly just want to be sure this is my wifes bike and if she is ever bye herself she would not know what to if it got worse or just wouldnt start, so i want to weed out anything that may go wrong.