Tire question

2thDr

So I picked up a set of moto2 tires locally. I talked with Brian before and was inder the impression that these are unidirectional. Well they were not marked as to what way to be run. So I emailed the guys at dunlop with the codes and stuff and here is what I got back:

RAY,

You have a tire that is not legal to ownor use in the USA. They are for Moto2 at Indy only. They are a very hard compound for theabrasive track at Indy.

They were not to be sold or leave theDunlop truck. How you got them I really don’t care, as I am not the “sheriff”in these matters. You should not even have possession of these tires.

What I can tell you is they are very hard compound. There is no available databecause they are not for sale or use in the USA market. They were specificallymade for Indy only and for Moto2 only.

My personal recommendation is to not takeany risk, ask scrap the tires and never use them.

You are taking a big risk even using them.

So scrap them or use them? I see these for sale all the time, and people have to be using them right? Just wanted to see what you guys would say.

I was kind of wondering if it was a way for them to cover themselves. I mean, if these tires were not supposed to be out in the public, then this is a way to keep them from being seen, ya?

It really doesn't matter too much to me, either way. They are just in great shape and I would like my tire eating bike to have some food. That is all.

the direction of a tire only has to do with the way the tread is designed to push water out from the tire.

if it's not a wet condition your tire direction doesn't matter.

nice job stealing some moto gp tires lol. I got a bottle of wine they gave the teams. my brother worked at the shop that engraved and painted them.

the direction of a tire only has to do with the way the tread is designed to push water out from the tire.

nice job stealing some moto gp tires lol. I got a bottle of wine they gave the teams. my brother worked at the shop that engraved and painted them.

that's not true at all. i've heard of many tires being directional based on how the rubber is laid. some can start to peel apart if they are mounted the wrong direction...

and they are moto2 tires not motogp. motogp would be insane lol. i wonder how much a set would cost?

that's not true at all. i've heard of many tires being directional based on how the rubber is laid. some can start to peel apart if they are mounted the wrong direction...

and they are moto2 tires not motogp. motogp would be insane lol. i wonder how much a set would cost?

Correct. It is how the cord is laid/overlapped on the carcass. One way is for front tire, and one way is for back tire. And is why some tires can go from front to back if reversed (and vice versa) . Pushing water is still true but a secondary issue.

I noticed the other day that identical tread sips was reversed from front to rear on some tire brand/model. So I'm not thinking it makes much difference on a lot of tires.

Edited by ReconRat

As the others have said, this isn't entirely true. These are slicks anyways, so dispersing water isn't going to be an option.

I was more concerned with them being a multi compound, for example... the right side being hard, and the left side a medium or soft compound.

I bought these off a friend who bought them last year off the wera forum. He found out he couldn't run them on his 600 or something, so I took them from him.

The moto2 tires will work, hit up ktm-brian, he has ran them.

Yeah I know. He tried to sell them to me. But I was a little hesitant on them, and here I am now, with a set in my posession.

I just didn't want to bother him with a PM. I asked him mad tire questions when I bought the last set off him and I didn't want to be a pain in his ass with any more.

Yeah I know. He tried to sell them to me. But I was a little hesitant on them, and here I am now, with a set in my posession.

I just didn't want to bother him with a PM. I asked him mad tire questions when I bought the last set off him and I didn't want to be a pain in his ass with any more.

He won't care.