Motorcycle rentals around Columbus

GotBoost2JZ

I've been wanting to take my girlfriend on a long cruise somewhere recently so I've been looking at a place that might rent bikes. I ride a Buell Firebolt so that's not exactly fitted for the situation. I can do about 2.5 hours by myself but I'm in pain by the end (I occasionally ride from Columbus to Toledo, but I'm very sore and antsy by the end). I certainly do not want to do that with a passenger, never mind the lack of storage issue.

So anyway, I'm looking for something with two comfortable seats suited for longer hauls, a highshield, luggage, ext ext. Cruise control would even be nice but thats not as important. The comfort, space, and storage is though.

I know Harley rents at some of their locations but apparently none are near Columbus (Mansfield is the closest). I don't need a Harley though. I could truly care less what the bike is. Yamaha, Suzuki, BMW, don't care. So long as it meets my criteria.

Anyone know of a place?

Edited by GotBoost2JZ

Wouldn't you rather spend money and have something to show for it afterwards? Buy a nice set of saddlebags, or a givi topcase for storage.

As for the hard ride, are you taking breaks every 45 min or so? You might think about a gel seat or seat cover that would help absorb the hard bumps.

Airhawk seat pad? http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=62822

How's the passenger seat area on the Buell? Depending upon the built-in cushioning of your girlfriend's, umm, posterior, she may be OK for a couple of hundred... Maybe try an hour or so, see how she does?

If she's uncomfortable, you can always blame her not-fat @ss - and score points with her at the same time... and maybe get the OK to get a bike with a better passenger area.

I was shocked to find a rental place in OH that had something other than HDs.

http://www.eaglerider.com/cleveland/cleveland.aspx

Unfortunately for you they are in the Cleveland area.

Also through google found this old add on OR

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=34728

Maybe still renting in Columbus???

Craig

Places to rent a bike?

Seat cushioning is a small fraction of my discomfort. Cramped riding style of a crotch rocket vs cruiser that causes leg cramps and laying on my wrists for too long are.

No matter how nice a cushion I get, 6+ hours on a sport bike two-up isn't happening.

PS, she's got nice junk in the trunk for cushioning ;) But she's still ready to be done riding on the back of the Buell after an hour tops. She loves my bike, but it's not a bike for going on long trips.

Edited by GotBoost2JZ

Not to be rude, but does it matter? I'd like a cushy cruiser for a trip if I can find one. I do plenty of straight 2-3 hour trips (minus 1 gas stop in the middle). I don't particularly enjoy them unless I stop a lot which makes the trip twice as long.

Id rather ride for several hours and only stop for gas then stop every 45 minutes to stretch, you know?

Plus...

she's still ready to be done riding on the back of the Buell after an hour tops

I wouldn't believe a soul that said they comfortably enjoyed a 16 hour straight ride on the back of a sportbike haha

I was shocked to find a rental place in OH that had something other than HDs.

http://www.eaglerider.com/cleveland/cleveland.aspx

Unfortunately for you they are in the Cleveland area.

Also through google found this old add on OR

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=34728

Maybe still renting in Columbus???

Craig

Hmmm. I've always wanted to try a Goldwing.

I wouldn't believe a soul that said they comfortably enjoyed a 16 hour straight ride on the back of a sportbike haha

My wife has done several all day trips on the back of various bikes with me. Nothing was "comfortable but we did a ride that we had done several times on my 1000rr on a Harley street glide. It was awesome at first with the radio and cruise control but about halfway through the ride my lower back started hurting. By the end we were both in pain and felt worse then when we had done the ride on the 1000rr. Long rides are do able on a sportbike its all about riding position. The most comfortable we have been on a long ride was on my friends sport touring yamaha 600 (I'm drawing a blank on the name but I wanna say fz6) . We rode that all around the tail of the dragon area all day for several days. My suggestion would be a sport tourer over an ass slug (cruiser).