Tire time and need suggestions

donkason

I'm going to Pegram's for a Dyno tune to fix a flat spot at 8500 RPM. While I'm there I'll have him set my suspension up. I'll have proper springs and a fresh service so it will be perfect timing.

They invited me to stay the whole dyno session to learn something. So not only am I paying for a tune but school is in session:) That's my kind of shop. I hate the drop off and pick up of the dealer places.

Thanks for the suspension feedback.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Longdog

They cancelled my order of Pirelli's for some reason about not shipping to my address. Anyway I took you up on the power pures from the website you linked to. What a great deal! I saved over $100 from the Pirelli's. I'm looking forward to the trying them out and then getting a set of pure ones halfway through next season. It seems people are getting 4-5 days out of them on the track from what I've read. After running the GPA's and constantly chasing a tearing issue due to finicky tire pressure I opted out of the Q2's as I have read they tear easily too.

That site is way cheaper than anything I've found. If anybody needs Michelin, because that's all they sell, check it out.

http://www.sportbiketireservice.com/

Son of Donka,

Great! Like I said, give everything a try. The Pures will last you for the rest of the season. and for sure, sportbiketireservice is a good price and fast shipping!

I'll be coaching at mid-o on the 17th or 18th of Sep (not sure which day yet), as well as the 1st of Oct. Be sure to stop by and let me know what you think of the tires!

• Upvote 1

Longdog

They cancelled my order of Pirelli's for some reason about not shipping to my address. Anyway I took you up on the power pures from the website you linked to. What a great deal! I saved over $100 from the Pirelli's. I'm looking forward to the trying them out and then getting a set of pure ones halfway through next season. It seems people are getting 4-5 days out of them on the track from what I've read. After running the GPA's and constantly chasing a tearing issue due to finicky tire pressure I opted out of the Q2's as I have read they tear easily too.

That site is way cheaper than anything I've found. If anybody needs Michelin, because that's all they sell, check it out.

http://www.sportbiketireservice.com/

Dude, you have some sort if suspension issue with the tearing going on. Pressures are also something to consider, but I am not sure where your fact finding has led you, but Q2s aren't prone to tearing.

Again, setup is key. If you want a tire that lasts 4-5 track days, good luck. As you get faster, the tires last less and less... But, good suspension setup is key for longevity also. I can show you shagged tires that are actually worn smooth on the sides through the treads and they are smooth as glass. Setup.

Dude, you have some sort if suspension issue with the tearing going on. Pressures are also something to consider, but I am not sure where your fact finding has led you, but Q2s aren't prone to tearing.

Again, setup is key. If you want a tire that lasts 4-5 track days, good luck. As you get faster, the tires last less and less... But, good suspension setup is key for longevity also. I can show you shagged tires that are actually worn smooth on the sides through the treads and they are smooth as glass. Setup.

Prone to tearing while sorting things out as a noob may be a better context. I got my tires torn when I bought the bike. I dropped psi to 18 and they healed. Then my last 2 rounds they were tearing again at 22-23psi hot off the track and 18psi cold. I assumed they were thrashed by too many heat cycles and the rubber was getting hard. If the geometry was that far off the correct pressures would not fix it. The tears were lateral and to my understanding that denotes a pressure issue. I might bring the tires along on next round at Mid-O so you can look them over and let me know if my assumption is incorrect, again, I'm still learning the trade.

By the time I'm ready for a new set I'll look at the DOT race tires again. By then I'll have a pro tune my suspension and have the know how to keep it dialed in. I have all winter for homework.

i'd be interested in knowing about your experience w/ Pegram's.

I just got it done. It went very well. Joe ironed my flat spot at 8000-8500 rpm and worked hard to dial the rest in. I picked up 5hp and 4ft lbs of torque at 100% throttle. Ending numbers of 130hp and 52ft lbs of grunt.

Quick suspension question. Since I had my rear shock serviced and swapped oil in my front I was rethinking my rebound/comp settings. I am assuming the old oil I pulled out would be thinner than new oil. So would this merit a reduction in rebound/comp from my settings prior to service as the new oil is more viscous?

If so I was thinking about backing everything down a quarter turn for a baseline and tuning at the track. Larry wasn't there so I'm still stuck on tuning my own for now.