Anyone else get this? do people fall for this?

Exarch

So, yesterday I posted my bike for sale on craigslist(first time posting on craigslist) and within 2 hours I got an email. The email asked if the bike was still for sell. Seriously? That is obviously the first sign of a scam. Next sign of this being a scam is the email address of the guy(using my mobile mail) did not match the email(using my gmail) in my actual inbox... Anywho I sent back a reply stating that the bike was JUST posted it's obviously still for sell.

This is the email I got back

Thanks for your mail...I am ready to buy it now for my Son as a surprise promise gift,And due to the nature of my work,phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it.i would be glad to pay for it as soon as possible though i will not be available to come for an inspection due to my tight schedule.Kindly get back to me with the following questions below:1) What is the condition?2) Are you the Owner?3) Pick up Location?4) Your Registered PayPal name and email address for payment.I would be glad to make the payment immediately through PayPal so kindly get back to me with your PayPal ID. You need not to worry yourself about title transfer and shipment,i will instruct the shipping company to handle that therefore in order to complete the transaction do get back to me with your PayPal ID and total cost sothat I can make the payment asap. I will be waiting for your reply!Regard*

(copy paste sucks on my phone, sorry)

Does this happen often on craigslist and do people really fall for it? I have no clue how tuis scam would work, but I know it has to be fake.

It's better then the ones that ask to write you a check for $2000 more than asking price and you give them 1500 when they buy the bike. This doesnt seem like a super obvious scam just that the guy can't type well. Tell him its a cash only sale can't go wrong there.

Happens to me every time I post ANYTHING.

Usually just delete the email and go about my day.

Same here. I get at least one everytime I've tried to sell a bike on CR.

Most people recognize that it is a scam, but if they send it out to enough someone is bound to fall for it eventually.

This is why I hate selling things on Craigslist.

When making an ad, clearly state that the if the item is still listed, it is still for sale and you will remove the ad immediately upon sale. This will mitigate the "is it for sale" emails from real buyers so you can immediately disregard any such inquiries.

Then again, people don't read/comprehend for shit.

Happens to me every time I post ANYTHING.

Usually just delete the email and go about my day.

this

I usually have 4-5 things on craigslist at any given time so I just know what to sift through. Easiest way to tell if its junk is the name on the email address vs the name they put in the body most of the time

1 - your phone battery is almost dead

2 - you Ted's kid?

3 - it's Craigslist, par for the course

4 - had something else, but forgot

5 - remembered - glws, bring handgun to any meeting.

6 - no test rides w/o cash in hand

7 - take a friend (not wife, a man friend, unless your wife's a big burly guy, with all due respect) to any meeting

• Upvote 1

Happens all the time. A lot of the emails are just wanting a reply. If they get one, they know its an active email account with a real user behind it and you will be spammed. The paypal thing is one of two scams, one where they try to hack your account, the other where they pay you with fake funds that never clear and take your bike if you're dumb enough to let their "shipper" pick it up.

1 - your phone battery is almost dead

2 - you Ted's kid?

3 - it's Craigslist, par for the course

4 - had something else, but forgot

5 - remembered - glws, bring handgun to any meeting.

6 - no test rides w/o cash in hand

7 - take a friend (not wife, a man friend, unless your wife's a big burly guy, with all due respect) to any meeting

1) I'm surprised it wasn't dead earlier lol

2) nephew(I wish)

3) lame

4) drum roll

5) thanks

6) of course

7) I'd probably request a gas station super market, someplace with people around.

8) http://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/3300570502.html few things I wish I would of did different, but this was my first CL post.

Couple of years ago i sold a custom pc on CL for $1800. I got a reply from a guy in atlanta saying he was interest but that he would have to have it shipped. When asked how he wanted to pay for it and he said via a cashiers check. (First red flag.) I gave my my mailing address which was a po box. 4 days latrr i get a big manila envelope with a cashiers check for $3500 instructing me to cash it then keep the $1800 for myself and then send tbe rest via a wire transfer to someone in atlanta. ( second red flag) When i look at the check it was drawn on an account from michigan. (Third flag.) I decided to call the bank that it was drawn on to verify the funds were available. Sure enough when i had given them the account number they immediately transfered me to their fraud department. Seems a bank emplyee had stolen a check ledger from one of their wealthy customers and was scamming people left and right. I ended up forwarding all the items i got in the mail as well as all the email chats we had to the bank firm. 2 weeks later i got a call from the bank saying they used my evidence as well as others to track the guy down in atlanta and have him arrested for identity theft and a whole list of federal charges. Sadly the original account owner never offered a reward.

sent from my galaxy s 3 using tapatalk

Couple of years ago i sold a custom pc on CL for $1800. I got a reply from a guy in atlanta saying he was interest but that he would have to have it shipped. When asked how he wanted to pay for it and he said via a cashiers check. (First red flag.) I gave my my mailing address which was a po box. 4 days latrr i get a big manila envelope with a cashiers check for $3500 instructing me to cash it then keep the $1800 for myself and then send tbe rest via a wire transfer to someone in atlanta. ( second red flag) When i look at the check it was drawn on an account from michigan. (Third flag.) I decided to call the bank that it was drawn on to verify the funds were available. Sure enough when i had given them the account number they immediately transfered me to their fraud department. Seems a bank emplyee had stolen a check ledger from one of their wealthy customers and was scamming people left and right. I ended up forwarding all the items i got in the mail as well as all the email chats we had to the bank firm. 2 weeks later i got a call from the bank saying they used my evidence as well as others to track the guy down in atlanta and have him arrested for identity theft and a whole list of federal charges. Sadly the original account owner never offered a reward.

sent from my galaxy s 3 using tapatalk

Damn!

Exactly.

The internet has been around for a long time now Exarch. You not use to it yet?

Ya, obvious scam(as stated in the first post) I just didn't know if this was the norm on craigslist or far and few inbetween. I've only used craigslist once before to make a purchase and things went smooth(the guy I made the purchase from turned out to be my supervisor lol)

It's a shame people do stuff like this alot(apparently). It's a bigger shame that people are dumb enough to fall for it. Hec, I googled one of the email addresses and the entire email and there were ALOT of topics with pretty much the same email and user.

I've not posted on Craigslist with at least a couple obvious scam replies.

You have to learn to filter them out and ignore.

Or you could just play along with them making promises and requirements until they get annoyed. Some people find that funny too :D

Craig

It's Craigslist..and this is par for the course.

Make sure you're using a throw away email address when you reply to any emails. You've been warned.

+1 to this. When I sold my boat I had people just show up. Figured it was due to the rare last name. Or reverse phone lookup. So now o reply with junk email then call them from phone.