First Bike

99FLHRCI

I just purchased my first bike. I got a 1999 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic. I am learning to ride and work on/maintain a bike. I am also trying to find out what all has been done to this bike. So far I have heard a lot of different things. I was told by the dealer it was an 88 CI motor with a complete rebuild and was making about 115hp. Then I talked to Roeder (the shop that supposedly did the work) and they said it is a 95 CI with head work, cams and a flowed throttle body with no bottom end work. It has quite a few toys on it, it sounds good and rides nice so I am happy.

Id find it hard to believe it makes 115hp. Stock those are around 60 hp.. The 96ci motors make around 70hp stock

So it would need alot ofwork to break 100hp. Let alone make 115

I agree from what little I know and the research I have done. I talked more to a guy at work today who knows a lot more then I do. He said depending on the cams he could see maybe mid 90's but that is probably on the high end. I don't know what it makes but, I don't need anymore then it has for a first bike. I am already pleasantly surprised I was told I was purchasing an 88 CI and it is a 95 CI. I would love to confirm this and figure out the cam profiles. I am hoping for a dyno day soon so i can get a hard number on paper.

:welcomeor: Wow, you went balls deep on your first bike! :eek: I started on a little cruiser less than half that size

Me too. In fact that's still more than twice the displacement of any bike I've ever owned.

Stay safe and be careful with that big of a toy.

Welcome to the forum!

Unless yours has had the motor replaced or reworked it should be an older 88, probably about 65 hp. Its an 88B motor. Probably about 70 ft lbs of torque. My '03 stock supposedly has about 10 more horse because it is counterbalanced with about 85 ft lbs of torque according to the book. I added a stage one kit and that should add 6-7 hp and more torque.

All this is just numbers though, its dyno hp and torque that really counts.

Welcome to the forum!

Unless yours has had the motor replaced or reworked it should be an older 88, probably about 65 hp. Its an 88B motor. Probably about 70 ft lbs of torque. My '03 stock supposedly has about 10 more horse because it is counterbalanced with about 85 ft lbs of torque according to the book. I added a stage one kit and that should add 6-7 hp and more torque.

All this is just numbers though, its dyno hp and torque that really counts.

Isn't 88B what comes on a soft tail? the B is for counterbalanced because it is ridgid mounted right?

No way to tell actual displacement without measuring bore and stroke. This is assuming the motor has been cut on. I'll eat my gloves if its making 115 hp naturally aspirated without needing a complete rebuild every 5k miles, Harley motors are not renowned for longevity after modification, especially almost doubling the output.

Welcome! I can't imagine wrestling that beast at slow speeds as a first bike. I remember feeling like I was going to drop my 250 Nighthawk simply doing a u-turn in the driveway. Stay safe and wear that helmet.

I'll eat my gloves if its making 115 hp naturally aspirated without needing a complete rebuild every 5k miles, Harley motors are not renowned for longevity after modification, especially almost doubling the output.

based on a cursory google search, around 90hp is a pretty common claim with some tuning, and people CAN get close to 110 at the wheel, but I haven't seen anyone even claiming 115... The OP said he was skeptical too, so he's not the one making that claim either.

for a 550 lbs. bike with a 5 speed gear box, that's really not a ton of power though. The performance is probably comparable to an EX500 with regard to acceleration and top-speed. (12-13 second quarter mile, and around 115mph terminal velocity)

I thought the point of cruisers was to cruise, not compare dyno sheets! If cruiser guys were concerned with performance, they wouldn't be buying cruisers...