Best CHEAP bike

redkow97

Just want to start a discussion on the best cheap bike options. We could get all scientific and score each bike based on performance, reliability, availability of parts, and ease to work on, and then add up the scores; or we can just speak anecdotally about what bikes we like. Either is fine.

No purchases on the horizon for me until my current ride sells, but I like 'shopping' bikes for fun. I've noticed that the cheapest bikes are generally older cruisers, but occasionally there are some 90's bikes for under a grand that I wouldn't mind owning.

I'll start:

2nd Generation ('94-09) Kawasaki EX500. Can be had for around $1500 all day long with reasonable mileage. Parts are everywhere. Performance is so-so. Acceleration is good, but not great. Faster than most cruisers, but not by a lot. Reliability is good until 20k, and handling is... well, the frame is a noodle, and tire choices in stock sizes are limited at best.

90's honda 600's (F2/F3) I've seen these for as cheap as $600 when they've sat for a while, but more like $2200 in good shape. Parts are slightly more scarce, but not too difficult to find. They have 80+ hp at the wheel if you tune them well, and probably closer to 90. Reliability seems to be good as well, and handling is great for the era. They run the same tire sizes as an SV650, so rubber selection is still pretty good.

I'll toss the GS500 and EX250 into the mix as well. Reliability is good for both, and they handle well, but the lack of power makes them somewhat impractical if 2-up riding is any kind of consideration. The thing is, they're usually not much less expensive used than an EX500 or even an older 600...

others?

First gen SV650' date=' cheap, reliable

Carbed Monsters, cheap, reliable

FZ6, cheap, reliable, fuel-injected[/quote']

I agree that all listed are great bikes, but not that they're "cheap." Great values, but "cheap" is under $2k in my book.

90's fzr600. 90+ hp after a good tune, solid delta box frame, perfect 50/50 weight distribution. Only downfalls are rudementary suspension and the voltage regulators tend to fry. They share a lot of parts with other yamahas of the era and parts are plentiful.airtech still makes fiberglass race fairings if you wanted to track it. Can be found for under $2k all day long.

What size rims are in the FZR? Is it an 18" rear? Seems like track worthy rubber would be hard to find in a 140 rear even if its a 17" rim.\

**edit - wikipedia says 18" rear with 140 width. That is my concern with it, otherwise it looks like a great bike.

Edited by redkow97

katana!!!

What generation, and which size?

I would jump on a 2nd generation 750, but I'd shy away from first generation models and 600's in general unless it was really really cheap.

the 750's only made like 95hp at the crank... that's less than a ZZR600 or Honda F2 that is lighter. I would hope that the Kat at least has bigger mid-range torque numbers.

also, what's the maintenance like on the Katanas? I know parts are everywhere.

Maybe I'm just nostalgic or biased (look at my signature), but I think they Honda CX/GL500/650 are great - shaft drive, easy to work on, well build, good for 60,000+ miles with little more than fluid changes. You can get one fore less than $500 and a great one for less than $1500.

I ran 150's on my fzr with no problem. You can find battlax tires all day for them, sold mine off with an almost new set of bt-016 on it. I've heard of guys running 160's but it depends on the manufacturer, some will rub the brake stay. Still a fantastic cheap bike, and with a pipe/jet/k&n/timing advance key they scream pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...
I ran 150's on my fzr with no problem. You can find battlax tires all day for them, sold mine off with an almost new set of bt-016 on it. I've heard of guys running 160's but it depends on the manufacturer, some will rub the brake stay. Still a fantastic cheap bike, and with a pipe/jet/k&n/timing advance key they scream pretty good.

That does sound great, I just wish there were better rubber options.

I want to be able to go to track days and at least run at the front of "I" without worrying about grip. That means something in teh Pilot Power realm of performance would be required for my peace of mind.

I keep coming back to the Katana 750. Lack of radiator makes it an easier streetfighter candidate, and the extra torque doesn't hurt either.

I just wonder how it will do on the track. Maybe I do just want an SV, or an F2/F3 with dirtbike bars.

I keep coming back to the Katana 750.

I just wonder how it will do on the track.

What track? Drag strip? Road course?

You realize that every generation and size of the oil cooled GSX-R,Katana and Bandit engines swap into that bike,right? Think "sleeper". The parts are readily available to build a Bandit 1200, GSX-R 1100 or Katana 1100 into a 1216cc beast that will drop right into the 750 Katana chassis.

650 Vstrom........

I have not seen one under $2500 which is about what I paid for mine.

They are great versatile bikes but not really competitive performance wise with a sportbike which appears to be what the OP wanted.

I think the Vstrom is a great value but not cheap.

Craig

What track? Drag strip? Road course?

You realize that every generation and size of the oil cooled GSX-R,Katana and Bandit engines swap into that bike,right? Think "sleeper". The parts are readily available to build a Bandit 1200, GSX-R 1100 or Katana 1100 into a 1216cc beast that will drop right into the 750 Katana chassis.

Road course.

And no, i did not realize that. Is that across generations as well?

I do not know much about the GSXR 1100 engine, but I have read a bit about the GSXF/Bandit 600 engine, the 750, and the Bandit 1200.

I've written off the 600 as less powerful than I'd like. The 750 puts out 95hp, as does the bandit, just with more torque.

As fun as it would be to drop a 1200 motor into a Katana frame, the frame is the weakness... At that point I may as well just stick with the first generation bandit.

Road course.

And no, i did not realize that. Is that across generations as well?

All oil cooled generations of the Bandit,Katana and GSXR. 1985-92 GSXR750, 1986-92 GSXR 1100,All generations and sizes of Katanas (600,750,1100), All OIL COOLED Bandits.