Best CHEAP bike

redkow97

• 10 months later...

Found this thread searching for katana info. Unless Tuna sells the 600 he has for sale, I will be buying it after my next paycheck.

Yes, after I swore off the 600 in an earlier post. I just want a street bike for hooliganism. I'll commute on it a bit to see how it feels, and then make a decision on gearing, bars, etc.

I have all winter to mess with it :-D

93+ ZX6 and ZZR600 are definitely on the list as well. Seems like a lot of people value them pretty high though when selling.

The ZZRs are basically rebadged 2000-2002 ZX6rs. I ride one. The ergos and performance sharpened with the sportbikes that came thereafter, but Kawasaki continued to produce the ZX600J motors and frames and sold them as just good all-arounder bikes. I have toured with soft bags on my 07. 34k miles and counting. That may not seem like alot, but I have 3 bikes I ride so the miles don't seem like much until you add them all up. I rode a 9 state, 5000 mile, 18 day tour of the Western states last year. It was epic....

The ZZRs can be quite decent with sport tires and some of the heft removed. A good alternative to the Katana IMO. I never cared for the looks of the Kats personally.

I'd throw the Bandit 600 and 1200's on that list too. Had a 600 for my first bike and it was great. Takes a bit of time to warm up on cold mornings, but was great other than that.

Pretty cheap:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/4103714099.html

It can sometimes be hard to find these at a decent price just because it seems like people always post them way higher than what they should be though.

Edited by 8Rider6

well, I aborted my plan to buy Tuna's Kat, so I'm back to searching.

It didn't have any major "oh shit" issues, but it was going to be more small-project intensive than I was hoping for.  Plus the way the previous owner "modified" it had me concerned enough that I would have wanted to strip it down to the frame, just to inspect all the fasteners.  Again, nothing "wrong" with the bike, just more work than I want to put in for the short-term.

The idea is to find something that I can get rideable in a few weeks, then ride it for a bit and decide whether I want to fix it up and sell it, or cut it up and make it a sport-bobber sort of ride.