Corey Taylor = Best voice ever in rock

NinjaNick

Sucks Lynn Strait died, big loss to the metal industry right there and their album is a fav of mine. I enjoy crankin up "My Balls Your Chin" at work and always get asked who it is.

Corey Taylor is talented with his range and versatility, but no more than a lot of other less famous frontmen in those same genres. Slipknot's image and antics propelled them into stardom, not their raw talent. Although a semi-unique idea in their image which also proved to help the likes of MushroomHead and Mudvayne, but musically.....Slipknots definitely not all that. MushroomHead has huge dynamics and diversity, surpassing Slipknots skills by far......but we're talking vocal work here, not musicianship/composition.

Chuck Billy really helped pioneer that wide vocal style that tons of bands imitate with all the singing he did on old Testament albums and later brought the vicious gutteral growls on Low and Demonic in the mid 90's - his range is wider than most any other I've heard.

Phil anselmo also has killer range if you listen to the notes he hits on cemetary gates. I remember reading an interview where he explained how he increased his range by going so high his voice would break up. it would kill his voice for a few days, then when he healed there would be a note there.

Phil is a huge Dick and a shitty egomaniacle douche fuck but he had a set of pipes.

Sucks Lynn Strait died, big loss to the metal industry right there and their album is a fav of mine. I enjoy crankin up "My Balls Your Chin" at work and always get asked who it is.

Corey Taylor is talented with his range and versatility, but no more than a lot of other less famous frontmen in those same genres. Slipknot's image and antics propelled them into stardom, not their raw talent. Although a semi-unique idea in their image which also proved to help the likes of MushroomHead and Mudvayne, but musically.....Slipknots definitely not all that. MushroomHead has huge dynamics and diversity, surpassing Slipknots skills by far......but we're talking vocal work here, not musicianship/composition.

Chuck Billy really helped pioneer that wide vocal style that tons of bands imitate with all the singing he did on old Testament albums and later brought the vicious gutteral growls on Low and Demonic in the mid 90's - his range is wider than most any other I've heard.

Lynn Strait was great but i'd say he was more punk music. A lot like the old Sugar Ray before they went pop.

Are you serious about slipknot not having that much talent? Joey Jordison is one of the best drummers of all time. Jim Root is a great guitarist the problem is with slipknot having soo much going on it blends in.

• Upvote 1

Lynn Strait was great but i'd say he was more punk music. A lot like the old Sugar Ray before they went pop.

Are you serious about slipknot not having that much talent? Joey Jordison is one of the best drummers of all time. Jim Root is a great guitarist the problem is with slipknot having soo much going on it blends in.

This ^

They are far from a gimmick act. I dont understand why Mushroomhead keeps being brought up. They dont hold a match to Slipknot. The guitars, drums and vocals shaped the genre into what it is today.

This ^

They are far from a gimmick act. I dont understand why Mushroomhead keeps being brought up. They dont hold a match to Slipknot. The guitars, drums and vocals shaped the genre into what it is today.

Everyone is gonna have their own opinion on the mushroomhead/slipknot divide.

I had been going to shroom shows for years before I ever heard of slipknot. While they both reside in the same general genre, their music is not mutually comparable, just way too different IMO. Neither rely on anything close to technical guitar work or progressive-type time signature. They both jam, for sure. I am biased towards mushroomhead because of the time in my life when I was driving to Cleveland every weekend to see them play, back before they got signed, before the uniforms etc. When they used to perform in costume to hide the fact they all were also in other popular local bands at the time. I never didnt get at least a handy at most of their shows...something about the chicks that went to see them back in the mid to late 90's....always horny.

Anyway they did go downhill after their 3rd album. I still listen to the stuff they released on independent labels here in Ohio.

Ok, Nick started this thread about Corey's vox, not music in general; but I'll elaborate on my stance. Joey is a talented drummer, and I dont discredit that fact. Mick, Joey, and Corey make that band happen at the level it does.

I shared a stage with Slipknot back when they went by "Meld" and only a 5 or 6 piece group, a big metal Chicago show around mid '95 I think, back when I was in my first deathmetal band. They are nothing like they were back then, just a raw metal act and completely different lineup other than Jordison....and he's a far better drummer now than he used to be, and of course he should be since he plays for a living. But that band was a completely different animal before they became Slipknot, before Corey, and before RoadRunner picked them up.

They just aren't anything THAT spectacular when it comes to the more melodic metal that they changed to from way back when you compare them to other select groups in the same genre, same style metal.

Musical talent in a metal band can be interpreted so many different ways depending on the eyes/ears judging its value, but from a musicians perspective......I dont see GREATNESS in their music, which is where the image, intensity, crazy stage shows, and 9 members looking busy really help sell it as a product all its own.

GREAT metal bands, in my personal opinion, should have incredible talent across the board and not rely on just a few of its members to pull the group up. But this isnt the case all the time. More and more I see/hear lesser talent being gifted huge amounts of funding to promote their mediocre droppings all over the radio :nono:

If you want the best drummers on the planet, the deathmetal has HUGE skillsets when it comes to speed and technique, and its amazing what they can do. But, music like that is typically overcooked with what they can do well, instead of investing in tasteful ideas to help show a wider dynamic for the music itself. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should all the time kind of scenario, if that makes sense. Drummers in metal, some are killer and some aren't.....drummers in deathmetal, holy shit you wont believe your ears......but the guitar and vocal work is a VERY aquired taste and not everyone can tolerate that part of the genre.

If you dare, check out any of the drummers that were in Dying Fetus and tell me how fast Joey REALLY is....or Lamb of God, or Cryptopsy, or Solipsist, or Impending Doom, or Threat Signal.....thousands long, the list is monstrously stacked with faster and better players.

Everyone is gonna have their own opinion on the mushroomhead/slipknot divide.

I had been going to shroom shows for years before I ever heard of slipknot. While they both reside in the same general genre, their music is not mutually comparable, just way too different IMO. Neither rely on anything close to technical guitar work or progressive-type time signature. They both jam, for sure. I am biased towards mushroomhead because of the time in my life when I was driving to Cleveland every weekend to see them play, back before they got signed, before the uniforms etc. When they used to perform in costume to hide the fact they all were also in other popular local bands at the time. I never didnt get at least a handy at most of their shows...something about the chicks that went to see them back in the mid to late 90's....always horny.

Anyway they did go downhill after their 3rd album. I still listen to the stuff they released on independent labels here in Ohio.

I agree Sam, old MushroomHead is far better than any of their new stuff. And Phil ( with Pantera, not really a Down fan ) is one hell of a front man, but like you said his ego destroys his off stage persona.

Any time I've seen ATR they always play old stuff, saw them as a headliner and every song was from The Fall of Ideals and 1 or 2 from Overcome.

I think Overcome is a good album but the one after it, not so much. Haven't hear their latest album.

• 1 month later...