Tires 101

Al Z. Heimer

http://www.avonmoto.com/download/Tires101forConsumers.pdf. Here is a very good article on tires. It comes from the Avon Motorcycle site. It answers the questions that a lot of people have about tires such as how to determine your optimal tire pressure,can you plug a tubeless tire? And another fact that most people would call bull sh!t--Front tire cupping is normal and is actually a pat on your back. Tire threads can rate right up there with oil threads. When it comes to oil--Change it and keep it between the lines and all is good. Your tires are probably the most important piece of safety gear we have. This stuff was written by engineers who know this info is what it takes to keep us safe. I just thought that I would throw this out there for those that may have never thought of some of this stuff. It is a lot more important than the size of your chicken strips.

Not sure how old this is but the tire direction this isn't 100% true for all tires. Some have changed the construction and they can be ran backwards, only down side is the tread is going the wrong direction. Not really a problem unless you ride in the rain.

Spotted one other misconception. The pressures marked on the bike sticker or the owner's manual. Almost every one I've seen is for max load. So max pressure is given for two riders with some luggage. In the old days, it would say one rider pressure and two rider pressure. F&R. Perhaps these are different in Great Britain/Europe. (Note: the front tire pressure won't change much with a passenger, but the rear tire will. That's where the passenger is.)

The only true way to know (which I do if suspicious), is to look it up in the DOT tire design manual and check the specifications of the tire type and size, vs the F&R load. I've used these guides to lower my pressures to match the front and rear tire loads. But go too low, and you'll get those cracks in the tread grooves.

Remember that suspension design had certain tire pressures in mind. Stray too far from that and it will effect factory type handling.

edit: But yeah, it's overall really rather well written information.

Edited by ReconRat