What if it was your dog?

JackFlash

^ You clearly have a much higher opinion of people than I do.

Agreed, I hate people, if I legally could, I'd eat people over animals, and no dog's aren't just another animal.

Also the 5ft fence wasn't about people getting in, it was more about the dog getting out.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see this as the owner being charged with allowing his dog to interfere with official police business even if it was in his own backyard. Not that it would be right.

I don't see dog owner being charged if the dog was in his own yard.

How the UPS and mailmen go through their day without shooting dogs is a thing of great mystery to me.

They must have amazing powers over the animal world that police don't.

Either that or they carry some Fox Labs and don't freak out when a dog barks at them.

People don't typically leave dogs in the front yard unless it is fenced in. UPS won't go into a fenced back yard with a dog. By law we are all required to create safe access to our front door for anyone who wished to contact us for lawful reasons, although if the front yard is fenced and it is clear there is a large dog there than that's too as long as visitors know that.

I was a paperboy as my first ever job - and this was in the UK where newpapers are put through the mail slot in your front door. Fenced front yard with dog = pick you paper of from the fence line, I'm not coming in. I got to know the dogs on my route and which dogs were ok. When it doubt, no paper. If they complain then they are told they have to provide me a safe way to deliver or they don't get their paper.

Who cares about a dog?

I'd justify killing 100 dogs to save 1 person, 1,000 dogs, 100,000 dogs...

They are animals, no better than any of the animals we eat every day.

I swear the way some people worship their pets, they should be vegan.

I've been bitten once, tore a few pretty big chunks out of my calf at 14. That dog survived 2 years (too long) before I took care of it. The next dog that bites me won't survive that long, not even close.

Every time you post, I realize that you serve as a living example of how not to think, what not to say, and how not to conduct my life.

You do perform a service here, and it's not just scaring away women.

Agreed, I hate people, if I legally could, I'd eat people over animals, and no dog's aren't just another animal.

that's pretty gross...

Dogs have been bred for certain attributes, but that doesn't make them any different than any other domesticated animal. (cats, rabbits, ferrets, chickens, turkeys, ducks, pigs, horses)

It also doesn't make them any more human than any wild animal... coyotes wolves, bears, deer...

But if you honestly feel these animals deserve better, maybe you should go join PETA or something...

that's pretty gross...

Dogs have been bred for certain attributes, but that doesn't make them any different than any other domesticated animal. (cats, rabbits, ferrets, chickens, turkeys, ducks, pigs, horses)

It also doesn't make them any more human than any wild animal... coyotes wolves, bears, deer...

But if you honestly feel these animals deserve better, maybe you should go join PETA or something...

Holy shit you are a strange fella.

People don't typically leave dogs in the front yard unless it is fenced in. UPS won't go into a fenced back yard with a dog. By law we are all required to create safe access to our front door for anyone who wished to contact us for lawful reasons, although if the front yard is fenced and it is clear there is a large dog there than that's too as long as visitors know that.

You clearly don't leave the well-ordered suburbs. In the inner city where I work it's very common to see dogs in front yards, on porches, and even if it wasn't they get loose. Same with out here in the country, not uncommon at all to encounter dogs when walking up to a door. I know a lot of folks have hidden fences and the dogs have free-roam of the yard.

I don't know a UPS driver or a mailman that works on foot that hasn't contended with dogs up close and personal.

So, my point stands, even tho you crapped on it.

I can see both sides. The dog was in his own yard. The officer has a legal right to pursue lawbreakers through private property.

Just one of those things where nobody acted in bad faith yet something bad still happened.

There wouldn't have been a problem at all if the dog were smart enough not to attack a police officer :rolleyes:

I can see both sides. The dog was in his own yard. The officer has a legal right to pursue lawbreakers through private property.

Just one of those things where nobody acted in bad faith yet something bad still happened.

Do we know the dog was in his yard?

Just curious...as I've not read that he was.

You clearly don't leave the well-ordered suburbs. In the inner city where I work it's very common to see dogs in front yards, on porches, and even if it wasn't they get loose. Same with out here in the country, not uncommon at all to encounter dogs when walking up to a door. I know a lot of folks have hidden fences and the dogs have free-roam of the yard.

I don't know a UPS driver or a mailman that works on foot that hasn't contended with dogs up close and personal.

So, my point stands, even tho you crapped on it.

There is also a big difference between approaching a dog calmly and slowly as with delivering a package, and suddenly jumping a fence while in pursuit of suspects...

that's pretty gross...

What's gross about it? It's still meat right, isn't that all people are? I mean we came from primates, which are animals, so we are too.

Oh, and we do donate to PETA, wife is a vegetarian, and I eat any and all meats/fishes/or anything really.

There is also a big difference between approaching a dog calmly and slowly as with delivering a package, and suddenly jumping a fence while in pursuit of suspects...

Probably the stupidest thing I've read today, they are totally different. Body language from humans is interrupted by dogs and they feed off it. Yes, not all are the same and react differently but not every dog attacks either. As the AEP example demonstrates.

EDIT:But for the record, if my dog attacked someone, they wouldnt have to send the warden to the house, he'd already be dead. I would have no problem putting him down myself if the circumstances were there. Same with what I said in my original posts, if the dog was in his yard, that's HIS yard, if he wasn't, then I don't think the cop did anything wrong as long as the dog was vicious.

Probably the stupidest thing I've read today, they are totally different. Body language from humans is interrupted by dogs and they feed off it.

How does one interrupt body language? (human or dog) That doesn't even make any sense...

Edit: you must mean interpret...

And that was my whole point... why delivery folks would have less trouble with a dog than a cop jumping a fence. The delivery person would be calm, and collected just going about a normal task, while a police officer jumping a fence would have a greater sense of urgency, adrenaline pumping, high level of stress regarding his current situation...these differences could trigger different responses from a dog...

Edited by magley64

Actually, from an ethological and evolutionary standpoint, you are completely incorrect.

You had a bad experience with a dog once, one in which you probably did something wrong (not to say I'm excusing the dog...), and so you've written all dogs off. I'm sorry you've had that experience, but to let it color your objectivity like this is just ignorant.

How does one interrupt body language? (human or dog) That doesn't even make any sense...

And that was my whole point... why delivery folks would have less trouble with a dog than a cop jumping a fence. The delivery person would be calm, and collected just going about a normal task, while a police officer jumping a fence would have a greater sense of urgency, adrenaline pumping, high level of stress regarding his current situation...these differences could trigger different responses from a dog...

Gotcha, sorry I didn't understand the point you were making about the delivery/cop, I do agree there that the dog would be nutso due to that. Sorry about that.

And yeah, I'm not through my morning wake up drink yet,

Edit: you must mean interpret...correct lol.

That's almost, ALMOST one of the most stupid things you have said. And that's saying something.

It was intentional, so many people think dogs should be treated like people... but a grown man or woman would have been smart enough not to attack a police officer in pursuit of suspects... if the dogs get rights like humans, they should be responsible like humans.

Can you see this story being reported differently if it was you or me that shot the dog, especially more than once? I sure can.

The media would have a field day. Anti-gun nuts would be all over the place. Trees huggers would protest. And somehow, it would become so twisted that it would end up as a racial incident.

That is today's media.

Do we know the dog was in his yard?

Just curious...as I've not read that he was.

The story indicates the attack happened after the pursuit when the dog's yard. I haven't seen any suggestion that the dog was loose.

This does raise other questions: Did the officer leave a gate open and the dog followed him? Did the officer damage a fence allowing the dog to leave? Was the dog even fenced in at all? Did the dog engage the officer IN the yard, or follow him outside the yard? Did the officer shoot the dog in the yard or outside it? Did the dog follow the officer and engage him outside the yard in a manner in which the officer thought ti was just a stray dog?

Still under any of these variations, the officer had a legal right to be in the yard. Even if the officer allowed the dog to escape after passing through the yard then there is still no basis for tort unless it can be established that he freed the dog negligently, recklessly or intentionally, rather than accidentally during the heat of the moment.

The delivery person wouldn't go into a fenced back yard.

Can you see this story being reported differently if it was you or me that shot the dog, especially more than once? I sure can.

The media would have a field day. Anti-gun nuts would be all over the place. Trees huggers would protest. And somehow, it would become so twisted that it would end up as a racial incident.

That is today's media.

Before you make this into a 2a rant... A CCW holder would have no right to be in the yard therefore he'd be in the wrong even before drawing the gun.

Actually, from an ethological and evolutionary standpoint, you are completely incorrect.

You had a bad experience with a dog once, one in which you probably did something wrong (not to say I'm excusing the dog...), and so you've written all dogs off. I'm sorry you've had that experience, but to let it color your objectivity like this is just ignorant.

I did have a bad experience with a dog once, I've also had several good experiences with my own dog (from the time I was 5, until I was 22)

I haven't "written off" all dogs. There are plenty of good dogs out there, and some bad ones. My view is good dog or bad dog, it doesn't matter. A dog is a dog is a dog is a dog, and I will not value a dog's life over the safety of a human being.

I'm against torturing dogs, or killing them for sport, or causing them undue anguish...