Maybe time for a new bike?

Buckeye4Life

Nah not really, I would rock a BMW GS or KTM 990 anyday. Beauty is subjective. I think the Versys and NX700 are cool looking bikes...to me ugly is defined by those gaudy chromed out HOGS with tassels ridden by dudes dressed like pirates.

There's ugly all over the motorcycle world. The big ape hangers, the 'busas, adv bikes, tassels, too much chrome. You're totally right that beauty is subjective though.

Just about any metric cruiser would do the same thing as a Harley and be well within your price limit. Honda Shadows & Sabres, VTXs from 750 to 1300cc, Yamaha V-Stars 650 to 1300cc, Kawasaki Vulcans 800 to 1700cc, and Suzuki Boulevards & Volusias and "M" bikes 800cc to 1500cc. There's a lot of choices out there in this category and all cost a lot less than a Harley.

I owned a 2007 Night Train for 2 years, and my Z1000 (08), Speed Triple, V-Strom, and Ninja 1000 have all offered more comfort than the Night Train did for me.

My Buell 1125R with the lower pegs was not bad on comfort at all, and the SV1000S would have been great (for comfort) with raised bars.

Yes I sold most of my bikes mentioned, not because of comfort, or issues (1125R:nono:), but only because I have an addiction.

I tried the whole Harley thing, I did not get into the "Lifestyle", so I just cruised alone most of the time...I took one ride with a friend and his girlfriend on their Super Glide (he now rides a Hayabusa), and the rest of my rides were solo.

Maybe if I would have participated in what the "Harley Community" does, and wore the part, I could have enjoyed it more...No thanks...:)

Triumph has some good choices...

Good luck on your decision!

If you are interested in a cruiser, A VTX is a pretty solid bike. They are plentiful & reliable, so you can find them around for a good price. I had a VTX 1800 for a number of years, and I really enjoyed it. The only downside is that coming from anything with decent ground clearance, you may drag the floor boards.

If you buy a less expensive bike now, you should be able to afford any bike you want after you graduate from school. Good Luck.

Looked into vintage jap standards? Nigjthawk 750, gs1100, seca 750 were all very comfy bikes with rreliable motors and decent power. The upright, neutral riding position spreads the weight between your feet and your ass and you're not all hunched over. You can find incredibly well cared-for examples for way less than your budget and if something breaks, eBay is full of good used parts. I rocked old Honda cb bikes for years before I bought a 600 seca 2, which is a little more sporty and it sent me spiraling down the rabbit hole getting more and more powerful and racey sport bikes but I still love the old standards and still own one.